Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcrone View Post
    My messages were sent about 9am EST Thursday, and by Friday mVoice had corrected my issue, and yesterday afternoon I got a request for a survey about their response. I still haven't heard from CallRec, though admittedly my message to them was somewhat less technical. Still, I made sure both knew I was demo'ing, potential customer, and posting to TC, so...

Dude, not every company is going to jump on something just because you throw out there your a "potential" customer. Many companies who believe in their product don't need to resort to such stuff just to make a "potential" sale.
    David Smith

Me - Treo 755p
    Wifey - Treo Centro
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcrone View Post
    I still haven't heard from CallRec, though admittedly my message to them was somewhat less technical.
    CR did get back to me a few minutes ago, so given that it was over the weekend, this is Thanksgiving week, and they probably had to talk to someone about the response it was a pretty good response time.

I totally agree, WreckRman2, that many companies won't reply to a non-customer, which is why I didn't ding them for it. On the other hand, as a buyer, that is all I have to go on when I'm wondering if I'm going to get future technical support. I recognize that many companies make money off technical support so it's not always a good idea to give it away free, but marketing is an important aspect of selling products - even (perhaps especially) best in class products.

For the curious, the answer to the question was that they intend to include hard button support in the next release, which nullifies IMO one of the strongest arguments for mVoice.
    First off, let me say I love this application. It is very helpful in reviewing conversations so I can be certain I follow up as I indicated I would. For reference purposes it is an incredible tool. there is one small issue, how do any of you handle the legal issues?

Twelve states currently require that BOTH or ALL parties consent to the recording. These states are:

* California
    * Connecticut
    * Florida
    * Illinois
    * Maryland
    * Massachusetts
    * Michigan
    * Montana
    * Nevada
    * New Hampshire
    * Pennsylvania
    * Washington

Do any of you announce that the call is being recorded or since your the only one that will ever know do you just let it slide? I'm not being judgemental as I live in a state where it needs to be announce to both parties, I'm just curious if any of you gave any consideration to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sci72 View Post
    First off, let me say I love this application. It is very helpful in reviewing conversations so I can be certain I follow up as I indicated I would. For reference purposes it is an incredible tool. there is one small issue, how do any of you handle the legal issues?

Twelve states currently require that BOTH or ALL parties consent to the recording. These states are:

* California
    * Connecticut
    * Florida
    * Illinois
    * Maryland
    * Massachusetts
    * Michigan
    * Montana
    * Nevada
    * New Hampshire
    * Pennsylvania
    * Washington

Do any of you announce that the call is being recorded or since your the only one that will ever know do you just let it slide? I'm not being judgemental as I live in a state where it needs to be announce to both parties, I'm just curious if any of you gave any consideration to this.
    You bring up a great question on a serious issue...and I'm not sure how much response you will get. I also live in a state such as you. I am recording conversations but I find I only reference ones that I have told the caller. For example, my brother called me to give me a phone number and I was driving. At first I told him I would call him back, then I remembered I can record it so I did and I told him that's what I was doing.

Whether right or wrong...I personally think if you are the only person that will ever use the conversation that having it as a tool shouldn't be illegal. I think it gets very sticky/ugly, though...if there's ever any chance anyone else would hear it. So losing your phone could open a very large can of legal worms.
    Accepted forms of consent

The FCC defines accepted forms of getting consent for telephone recording by telephone companies as:

* Verbal or written consent given before the recording is made.
    * Verbal notification before the recording is made. (This is the most common)
    * An audible beep tone repeated at regular intervals during the course of the call.

Perhaps the makers of CallRec could provide an option that generates this 'audible beep tone'. There are actually some pretty hefty fines for violating these laws. Even if your in a state where one party consent is all that is required, if you talk to someone in a state where the law is different then you have to obey the most stringent law, so both parties would have to be aware of the fact that the call is being recorded.

I suppose all is well if you never let anyone know, though that takes some of the fun away from those times where you'd want to send someone a copy of their own voice telling you something that they later changed their story on
    Accepted forms of consent

The FCC defines accepted forms of getting consent for telephone recording by telephone companies as:

* Verbal or written consent given before the recording is made.
    * Verbal notification before the recording is made. (This is the most common)
    * An audible beep tone repeated at regular intervals during the course of the call.

Perhaps the makers of CallRec could provide an option that generates this 'audible beep tone'. There are actually some pretty hefty fines for violating these laws. Even if your in a state where one party consent is all that is required, if you talk to someone in a state where the law is different then you have to obey the most stringent law, so both parties would have to be aware of the fact that the call is being recorded.

I suppose all is well if you never let anyone know, though that takes some of the fun away from those times where you'd want to send someone a copy of their own voice telling you something that they later changed their story on
    Interesting...if the beep rule applies to the states listed above, then I like the suggestion of adding an option for the audible beep to be turned on within CallRec. However, I did notice that your information said this is acceptable for companies. I wonder if those rules apply to personal as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    I wonder if those rules apply to personal as well.
    No, you can record all you want, this is meant for companies that want to uses the conversation to train or advertise, like OnStar.

It is nice to record individual without their knowledge, because it allow aholes to be themselves
    You'd have to review the actual law itself in your state. In my state (a two party state) there is no language in the law itself to only apply to businesses, therefore I wouldn't be exempt by claiming it as a personal call. Besides how many of us use our Treo's for work related calls anyway (I'd wager to say a lot of us). So short of a audible beep as part of the call I just have to be sure I announce the fact that I'm recording for every call that I do in fact record. So much for the 'record all calls' option.
    You'd have to review the actual law itself in your state. In my state (a two party state) there is no language in the law itself to only apply to businesses, therefore I wouldn't be exempt by claiming it as a personal call. Besides how many of us use our Treo's for work related calls anyway (I'd wager to say a lot of us). So short of a audible beep as part of the call I just have to be sure I announce the fact that I'm recording for every call that I do in fact record. So much for the 'record all calls' option.
    how about you (meaning you) just don’t use it then, an audible beep is not possible with most treos for the person on side b of the conversation to hear it.
    Just like when you get a text message, the other person don’t hear it sound off in your ear. Better yet, you can just tell them, case close..
    I will continue to use the software as it ROCKS, I'll just have to use it in a different way now that I gave some though the the laws in my area. I was just looking to have a meaningful conversation on an issue many might not of thought about if that's alright with you.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345