Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo View Post
    Is CallRec preferred over mvoice for most people? I see few mvoice threads but many CallRec ones. I've used mvoice in the past but I'm thinking of trying out CallRec.
    I own both, but uninstalled mVoice long, long ago.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    mVoice lags & hiccups quite badly in comparison to CallRec. I reviewed both for PIC a while back. Mvoice's UI is not as intuitive either. More features, sure, but for an app like this I'll take better performance any day.

Definitely go with CallRec!
    I get a small issue with CallRec, i have the latest version on a 755p, but when it is set to ask before recording no matter if i select yes or no my screen will go blank(white) for the duration of my call. Which makes it so i have to wait to hang up. Anyone else have this issue? I would disable it but i like the option since i can't pre-choose who to record or not to record.

Papo
    I just bought this and it's great however I'd like to see an option for the date that supports us from the USA. The date formats throw me off.

I'd like to see it support the USA format:

10-25-2007 and not 2007-10-25
    David Smith

Me - Treo 755p
    Wifey - Treo Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by WreckRman2 View Post
    I just bought this and it's great however I'd like to see an option for the date that supports us from the USA. The date formats throw me off.

I'd like to see it support the USA format:

10-25-2007 and not 2007-10-25
    In the spirit of the above request, I would like to add one. I would love to see a 12-hour time format option rather than only having a 24-hour time format. I can't read military time.
    Two possibilities:
    • Your dates and times are formatted according to your preference panel (haven't checked this).
    • These formats were chosen because they're the only ones which sort "correctly".
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    In the spirit of the above request, I would like to add one. I would love to see a 12-hour time format option rather than only having a 24-hour time format. I can't read military time.
    Actually there is a time format for am/pm in the options.
    David Smith

Me - Treo 755p
    Wifey - Treo Centro
    I'm having an issue this morning that I'm curious if anyone else has had...

I received a call and everything recorded great however it was saved with the date/time/callers name. The problem is it saved the file with the WRONG callers name.

Anyone else had this issue?
    David Smith

Me - Treo 755p
    Wifey - Treo Centro
    Actually there is a time format for am/pm in the options.

Thanks. I had not seen that initially and it will help.

I would love to see some more date options. I don't even need to see the year. Just them month and date (in that order).
    These guys are amazing... they obviously seen our requests for the date change and have released version 5.2 that allows you to change the date anyway you like!

Freaking Awesome!
    David Smith

Me - Treo 755p
    Wifey - Treo Centro
    These guys are amazing... they obviously seen our requests for the date change and have released version 5.2 that allows you to change the date anyway you like!

Freaking Awesome!
    I totally agree! I love the ability to add exactly what I want, and where I want it.
    i have bug them for a long time, many emails
    Well they listened and thats great...
    David Smith

Me - Treo 755p
    Wifey - Treo Centro
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Is there anyway to change the volume besides using the side keys? I use Butler's option to allow volume keys to scroll so it doesn't let me change the volume with the side keys in CallRec.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I tried out callrec 5.2 vs. mvoice 5.5.5 on my 755p, the jury is still out on which one I'll get. I specifically skipped over recorderX because of reports of developer silence, and Audacity because I like having the CID information available and it's not worth $80 extra...

That being said, here are my notes on these recent versions of CR versus MV, in case anyone else is looking.

Both play nicely with e2internaldrive, I don't have an SD at the moment so I'm not having any troubles with skipping. From the documentation it looks like CallRec will save to main memory and Mvoice will not, in the usual case, but this does not appear selectable if you have a card. I don't know yet how either of these will handle multiple cards since my miniSD has gone missing. [Edit: trying with Disk Manager at the same time, so 2 SD cards to the application, it only writes to the first, in this case the internal RAM drive. This is not an uncommon problem for applications written post-Handera, I've noticed. Both fail so same difference, I'll kill e2internaldrive when I get a new SD.]

The things I like/observe (versus the other):

Callrec:
    1) more Treo-like UI

2) playback through earphone [Edit: mvoice has this too, it's not accessible from the menu but you can hit a letter key during playback.]

3) multiple LED options (blink, color)
    4) double-click record on side button, works with another application on the long-press
    5) Incoming and outgoing calls can be put into different bins automatically.
    6) At lowest quality, compressed, 30.9MB=67.5 minutes.
    7) Easy file naming, with date/time/name options. (Apparently this is a new 5.2 feature, check it out if you've got an older version. Totally geeky. =)

8) Easy file operations (e-mail (incl. chatter), beam, bluetooth) in the app [Edit: The spec sheet says mVoice does this too, but it appears to be broken.] [Edit2: Apparently for mVoice you have to tap the little button on the left of the file to get the file menu. It is there and works fine, but apparently all file operations are per-file rather than bulk like CallRec.]

9) (bad) Help/Tips does not work.

Mvoice:
    1) Prettier UI, but more WM-ish. I thought it was easier to navigate but maybe that's the Linux user in me. [Edit] Not all the options are in menus, some are in keyboard letter commands, and the file menu is a small tap-button on the screen. This is okay with me but I prefer everything to be available even when there's a shortcut.
    2) Noise cancellation setting
    3) Can use hard buttons to initiate memo record*
    4) Post-recording compression, selectable for voice memo and/or phone calls
    5) Standard file formats (I think this is also true for CR now as well?)
    6) Battery indicator, volume boost, mic select on-screen if you're in the app
    7) At lowest quality, compressed voice memo, 30.9MB=130.75 minutes. [edit] This rate is only true for voice memos, phone recording is double so if this is to be a primarily phone recorder then it is the same as CallRec.
    8) SD card reader interface over USB
    9) (bad) Got stuck in memo record somehow, I had to soft reset to get out. [Edit] Twice now, I think it's caused by letting up the hard key before MV is finished processing it. If I hit "ReturnDA" with DBLPlus this is no longer an impact, just one more step.
    10) (bad) Creates a new Launcher group, not that it's hard to fix.

*This means that I can initiate a voice memo without unlocking the keyguard, since the first press of a hard button is transmitted (at least on my 755). It has the down side of changing to the button application, but there is probably a way around that.

Both are 19.95 (I saw that mvoice is on sale at PalmGear until 11/30/07). It appears that both of these developers are fairly responsive from posts on the forum, so I have to decide if the MV pluses outweigh the CR pluses; some of the I really want from both apps but I don't want to have to run both. =)

There's no doubt I'm missing some things, but that's what I've found so far.

Hope this helps someone else. =)

Cheers,
    -Tim

[EditNote]: Corrected a few things I missed on the first round. I've also sent questions to both support organizations, so I'll add a new post about their turnaround time and helpfulness when/if those come back.
    Last edited by tdcrone; 11/15/2007 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Updated with corrected observations, next time I'll post anew, promise.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcrone View Post
    10) (bad) Creates a new Launcher group, not that it's hard to fix.
    To me, this is symptomatic of why I dislike this developer so intensely. They have more audacity than Audacity, IMO.

Not only do they create their own launcher group (which should be totally hands off from any third-party application), they also install a bloatware "store" application in your RAM, without asking you, for no reason other than it makes it more convenient for you to buy more of their stuff.

Call me overly suspicious if you will, but this sort of arrogant behaviour only serves to make me wonder what else is going on inside their code that I haven't yet discovered.

I will no longer install any of this company's applications, despite the feature set.
    I'm surprised to have noticed only one reference to bluetooth headsets in this thread. I have used mVoice for nealy a year and like its features. I had been tethered to the Treo 665 with a Plantronics wire headpiece and all was great until the 1/8" jack stopped holding the 1/8" plug from the headset. Recently I started using the Plantronics Discovery 660 and mVoice does not record the other side of the conversation. Can anyone else weigh in on their experiences with Bluetooth and call recording software.
    Thanks
    Minkx
    Last edited by Minkx; 11/18/2007 at 01:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minkx View Post
    I'm surprised to have noticed only one reference to bluetooth headsets in this thread. I have used mVoice for nealy a year and like its features. I had been tethered to the Treo 665 with a Plantronics wire headpiece and all was great until the 1/8" jack stopped holding the 1/8" plug from the headset. Recently I started using the Plantronics Discovery 660 and mVoice does not record the other side of the conversation. Can anyone else weigh in on their experiences with Bluetooth and call recording software.
    Thanks
    Minkx
    My bluetooth headset does not record both sides of the conversation. Only my side is recorded, and that's probably because the phone is near enough to pick up my voice from the onboard mic.
    I have a Treo 755 and a H700 headset... CallRec only gets my side of the conversation when using the headset. Same story when using BT on my TomTom510 however I can lay my phone next to it and it still can pickup the other side just not as clear.
    David Smith

Me - Treo 755p
    Wifey - Treo Centro
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcrone View Post
    I'll add a new post about their turnaround time and helpfulness when/if those come back.
    My messages were sent about 9am EST Thursday, and by Friday mVoice had corrected my issue, and yesterday afternoon I got a request for a survey about their response. [Edit] Monday afternoon I heard back from CallRec with a short but complete answer to my question, so I'd say both had reasonable response times.

I recall from looking into SofTick Audio Gateway that the bluetooth headset is a digital interface on 650+ Treos, so I'm unsurprised that both tools only record the microphone side of the conversation.

Anyway, final summary. Phone recording is comparable, at least with internal drive, presumably also with a class4+ miniSD on a 755. No support for multiple cards. Poor support for BlueTooth, apparently. Both e-mail with Chatter and Versamail, and support BlueTooth transfers, from within the program.

mVoice:
    0 1) quick reply to e-mail [edit: still faster, but possibly a wash given that CR's question involved extra steps]
    + 2) noise cancellation (which I don't use, but it has potential)
    + 2a) half-rate voice memos (only useful if you're talking loudly directly into the mic, I found)
    + 3) hard buttons for voice recorder
    + 4) compression can be done during, after, or on-demand
    + 5) SDIO over USB
    - 6) voice recorder start/stop buggy
    - 7) new program group (I didn't see the store app, PatrickS, but I haven't kept close track of memory since the m130 days)
    - 8) occasional crashes and glitches with reading/writing (possibly related to e2internaldrive, but callrec doesn't have the problem)

CallRec:
    + 1) LED configurable
    + 2) File naming configurable
    + 3) All options available in menus
    + 4) Incoming and outgoing folders for phone calls
    + 5) IR beaming
    + 6) Experienced zero crashes / troubles that I could attribute to CallRec.
    + 7) Double-click to start voice recorder doesn't trounce on other applications, but also wouldn't work with keylock
    + 8) Ability to perform actions (delete, for example) on multiple files within the app

Long and short I'd summarize that mVoice is still more feature-rich than CallRec, but also somewhat less stable. On the plus side their support team is quite responsive, not that it's much consolation when your Treo resets.

I'm still unsure about which one I'll buy: CallRec and mVoice are pretty much the same as phone recorders, but mVoice has some benefits for voice recording, it's just somewhat less stable when doing so. If one or the other offered free upgrades... but that's just a pipe dream. =)
    Last edited by tdcrone; 11/19/2007 at 02:08 PM.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast