Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Got my burgundy 755p about a week ago and sure enough the paint is wearing off on the edges along the back and on one side. I've been keeping it, er, taking it in and out of a black leather Treo case by Smart Phone Experts that I bought from Treo Central. It's the 700p flip top, which I kept over the newer 755p cases because the inside is padded with a soft material. Did a lot of good.
    reubkov
    Palm Treo 755p with 2GB SanDisk microSD, Launcher X
    No case here and still looking as good as the day I received it....why would one want to hide this beatiful body?!?!
    I've gone raw and naked with my 'Burgundy' 755 for several months, and am actually amazed that I have yet to see any failure of the coating.

I had a couple of the otherwise excellent Zire 72 devices (and knew others with them) and the coating Palm used on those was terrible - seemed to flake off with a sneeze! Led to the marketing angle of removing the coating and calling it the Zire 72 "Special Edition" or something like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are inconsistencies in the quality of the coating between devices. However, in my experience with several burgundy units the coating is holding up incredibly well. Palm seems to have actually improved things in this respect.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by reubkov View Post
    Got my burgundy 755p about a week ago and sure enough the paint is wearing off on the edges along the back and on one side. I've been keeping it, er, taking it in and out of a black leather Treo case by Smart Phone Experts that I bought from Treo Central. It's the 700p flip top, which I kept over the newer 755p cases because the inside is padded with a soft material. Did a lot of good.
    Okay, since these were posted today, I'm going to give an update on my situation. When I started this thread I posted a photo of how the phone looked. (see here)
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...45#post1288445

I got a blue one not long after posting these and sure enough the exact same thing happened. I have the same case you mention here (I think). The great thing is, it is not nearly as noticeable on the blue phone, unless you look hard. The bare spots are in exactly the same places as the marks on the maroon one.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I just put a Best Skin Ever on mine and while I am not happy with the color/texture change I prefer it to a worn or scratched Treo.

Not sure if I'll stay with it long term but we'll see. When i traded in my 650 it was perfect because of the BSE.
    Quote Originally Posted by chillg8r View Post
    I just put a Best Skin Ever on mine and while I am not happy with the color/texture change I prefer it to a worn or scratched Treo.

Not sure if I'll stay with it long term but we'll see. When i traded in my 650 it was perfect because of the BSE.
    I'm not fond of skins. Too limiting.

I use no case with my 3200mAh extended battery. I just put it in my hip pouch. Nothing to wear away at the finish.

With the stock battery, I often use the super-slim case, but that doesn't wear away at it, either.

I experienced the "wear factor" with my 650 - especially with the very attractive aluminum cases. The neoprene lining wears out if you keep having to take the phone back out of it (which you do if there's no reset button & hole on your device!). Eventually, some sharp part of the aluminum case scrapes the sides of the device and then I'm wearing one of these:
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Not sure what you mean by "limiting". Maybe you are not aware of what Best Skin Ever is but it is very thin and doesn't change the dimensions of the Treo at all. I imagine you are thinking that it is akin to the rubber skins out there but it is very different. You can still put your treo in a holster, your jeans or wherever you put it but now but it won't get scratched by your keys or anything else for that matter. The problem with it is that while it gives the phone a nice "grippy" feel and is clear, on the 755 you lose the cool iridescent look and the nice feel that it comes with. It makes the phone look like it has a navy blue slightly sparkly painted finish and over time it will yellow a bit. At 6.99 though its worth trying, IMO.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet...2C-755p/Detail
    Quote Originally Posted by chillg8r View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "limiting". Maybe you are not aware of what Best Skin Ever is but it is very thin and doesn't change the dimensions of the Treo at all. I imagine you are thinking that it is akin to the rubber skins out there but it is very different. You can still put your treo in a holster, your jeans or wherever you put it but now but it won't get scratched by your keys or anything else for that matter. The problem with it is that while it gives the phone a nice "grippy" feel and is clear, on the 755 you lose the cool iridescent look and the nice feel that it comes with. It makes the phone look like it has a navy blue slightly sparkly painted finish and over time it will yellow a bit. At 6.99 though its worth trying, IMO.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet...2C-755p/Detail
    From what I understand, most skins are kind of tacky (in the tactile sense, not the fashion sense), so it's a pain to get most skinned Treo's in and out of jean pockets - regardless of how thick your skin is.

Mostly, though, I don't care for the fact that most skins block access to certain ports and doors - in particular, the battery door. Again, with no reset button/hole, having to remove the skin every time I want to reboot my Treo would be a serious pain in the arse.

Anyway, that's what I meant by "limiting." Maybe your experience has been different, though.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    This skin does not come on and off,its permanent in the sense that if you take it off you cannot put it back on. Its not permanent in the sense that it comes off easily with no residue.

it is cut so that all of the ports, buttons etc are all exposed and the phone's utility is not changed at all.

While it is slightly tacky it does not make it difficult at all to get in and out of jeans, holsters etc.

I must sound like I am trying to sell this thing and I'm not. i am just trying to clear up your misconceptions. It is like the InvisShield only cheaper. Same stuff though. Its not what you think. Check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    So always wash your hands with soup before holding your Treo if you know you have something on your hands.

Al
    tomato basil? french onion?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123