1.    #1  
    Hi,

This just 'happened'... powered up my 6mth-old 700p and I have a screen filled with red, blue, green and white rectangles (photo attached). Neither soft- nor hard reset has any effect.

There's a tiny "0.13" in the top right of the screen, and nothing works. I've tried leaving the battery out for an hour.

Any help much appreciated.

:-(
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WOW!

I have NEVER seen this before.. Almost looks like a pallette test from MCColors.
  3.    #3  
    I know. No doubt it's kaputt and will need to go in for repair, but I was just hoping someone had seen this before and knew a simple fix... wishful thinker to the end

It's at times like this that I hate realizing how dependant I am on technology...
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveshorts View Post
    Hi,

This just 'happened'... powered up my 6mth-old 700p and I have a screen filled with red, blue, green and white rectangles (photo attached). Neither soft- nor hard reset has any effect.

There's a tiny "0.13" in the top right of the screen, and nothing works. I've tried leaving the battery out for an hour.

Any help much appreciated.

:-(
    Ouch, you have what has been variously called the "rainbow" or "test-pattern" screen of death. For most people that means getting a new treo. There is some thread around here I seem to recall that says there IS a way to recover from that (required using bootloader to reinstall ROM as I recall) but everybody that I know that has ever had that (including me with my first 650) had to return it for a new device.

For my situation, I called sprint tech support, told them what screen looked like and they said go into store to get a new treo, marked my file it was a warrenty replacement.

Sorry for the bad news....
    Last edited by midmofan; 06/18/2007 at 11:36 AM.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Isn't this the screen for the Zero-Out Reset.
    Try this: Plug in the hotsync cable. Push Hotsync button while doing the Hard Reset drill (Red key plus depressing reset button). Let go of Hotsync and proceed with normal reset.

I am not 100% sure of the sequence, I've done it many times before through trial and error. I am certain it is documented somewhere (how else would I have known of this crazy dance?).
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
  7.    #7  
    Thanks one and all for your replies.

I actually went into my local Verizon store and they're fedExing me a replacement for tomorrow. But I'll try this HotSync thing anyway to see if I can recover any recent data.

thanks again.
    Welcome to the Bootloader screen. No need for a replacement, its part of the OS. Just follow the hotsync button reset instructions the other poster gave you.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
  9.    #9  
    Well, I tried the Hotsync thang (and every variation I could think of) no dice. The screen remains the same.

Attach Hotsync cable
    Press and hold Power (red) button
    Press Reset button
    Release HotSync button
    Normal reset

Screen doesn't change at any stage of above...

Ah well, only ten days to wait for an iPhone...
    Last edited by fiveshorts; 06/18/2007 at 08:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    Welcome to the Bootloader screen. No need for a replacement, its part of the OS. Just follow the hotsync button reset instructions the other poster gave you.

Actually, from what I remember, that screen can mean that the the underlying OS is corrupted or even non-existant anymore, happend to some people installing custom ROMS. So unless you have a ROM to install, it may need to be replaced