Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I have a theory which combines both MannyPR and VetPsychWars. There may probably be a chance that the Palm Treo 755p battery has a slightly lower voltage than what it was supposed to have and the Seidio one may have a slightly higher voltage than what it is supposed to be. Therefore, as a result things seem to be faster due to a slightly higher voltage.

Just my theory and some imaginary numbers:
    -2 Palm battery
    0 Threshold
    +2 Seidio battery

so we get like +4 more energy adding the two

What do you guys think?

Al
    The only way anything could be faster in this scenario is if a higher voltage caused the processor to run faster. As the oscillator that drives the processor clock is crystal controlled just so varying voltages do NOT affect it, I'd have to say that the chances of this are approximately zero. :-)

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars View Post
    The only way anything could be faster in this scenario is if a higher voltage caused the processor to run faster. As the oscillator that drives the processor clock is crystal controlled just so varying voltages do NOT affect it, I'd have to say that the chances of this are approximately zero. :-)

Tom
    So pretty much what I just said
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    So pretty much what I just said
    No.

More energy in the battery will not make the Treo run any faster. Battery operated devices are designed such that their performance will not be affected by variations in battery voltage, when such variations matter. In addition, the discharge curve of a lithium-ion battery is essentially flat; the voltage varies little until the battery is about out of energy, when the voltage decreases quickly. It's at this point that the Treo panics and shuts down.

You can prove this to yourself if you don't believe me. Run a benchmark on your Treo when its battery is nearly full. Run the same benchmark on your Treo when its battery is nearly empty. You will see no difference, assuming identical conditions. A fresh reset will do.

I understand wanting to believe that somehow this new battery makes things work better, but the fact remains that all Seidio did was cram more chemical in the same-sized package, and charged you a premium to do it. Palm designed their batteries with "enough" energy to keep you going as long as they thought was adequate for the price they were willing to pay for that battery. That's it.

Again, any more "snappiness" you're seeing is likely because of the reset. There is no mechanism in the battery that would explain it. None. Nada. Zip. End of story. All that's in that battery is the lithium-ion cells and a chip that keeps the battery from being overcharged. (The battery will explode, perhaps violently, if it's overcharged.)

I was an electronics technician at a research university for a lot of years before I became a technical writer, if you want to know my qualifications.

Not that it matters, you'll believe what you want, anyways. :-)

Tom

Tom
    Tom, You are stating right here how there might be a chance and a reason why the Seidio battery makes the Treo work faster. I read:

a higher voltage caused the processor to run faster
    So I understand that. What you are saying now is just contradicting yourself. Now, from personal experience I have seen things running faster at a higher voltage than running at a lower voltage. I remember plugging an AC adapter with a lower voltage to a radio and it sounded like it was dying. Then, I changed the voltage in the AC adapter and it worked quite fine.

Al
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    If I get a bigger gas tank, will my car go faster too?
    You're misreading what I said. I said, "The only way anything could be faster in this scenario is if a higher voltage caused the processor to run faster."

I also said the likelyhood of that is essentially zero.

The Treo will cease to function as a cellphone if its processor clock was not very accurately controlled, for then it would not be able to synchronize with the network.

I'm sure that the network can cope with a small amount of drift, but the error involved is so small that you will never notice it. We're talking in the "parts per million" range.

There is no mechanism by which the battery will do anything other than let you use the Treo for a longer period of time.

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize View Post
    If I get a bigger gas tank, will my car go faster too?
    Nope, but if you install a car battery with a higher voltage than what your car supports, there is a big chance that your headlights might be brighter or just blow out

Al
    Any of those who got the Seidio battery wanna add anything here about the Treo speed?

Al
  10.    #30  
    I used the OEM battery last night. I used the extended battery this morning. I do feel there is a difference, but have no clue why. I don't have a problem with a zippier phone. I often soft reset my phone as part of my cache management program. Has nothing to do with the soft reset IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyPR View Post
    I ordered one as well, we can compare results. I got the speedy feeling too, maybe the oem battery is not providing enough juice. Also, after the OP post I made a test and the keyboard lights are a bit brighter with the Seidio vs the OEM (used my wife as test subject for this blind test).
    Seidio began to ship Treo 755 3200 extended battery (Blue) today. We sent out all the preorders today. You will received your battery shortly. It will be interesting to see how it does with big battery (3200 mah).

Seidio
    Last edited by seidioseidio; 06/19/2007 at 07:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Seidio began to ship Treo 755 3200 extended battery today. We sent out all the preorders today. You will received your battery shortly. It will be interesting to see it does with big battery (3200 mah).

Seidio
    This baby's about $70 shipped, and although it sounds like a nice product it's a bit rich for my (and many other members') blood at the moment. Wanna share the ETA of the price coming near your other equivalent batteries, or maybe offer a discount code for Treocentral members?
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    This battery looks very good. I love my extended battery I use it with my 700wx , I originally used it with my 700p. I'm glad Seidio helps us out with battery life, while keeping it the original size. I can't get used to the "humpback" look. My 755p is going to need one of these soon
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Seidio began to ship Treo 755 3200 extended battery today. We sent out all the preorders today. You will received your battery shortly. It will be interesting to see how it does with big battery (3200 mah).

Seidio
    What is the status of the Burgundy 3200mAh battery? Site says shipping Blue. When will Burgundy ship? $10 more for the 3200mAh, I want it.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice View Post
    What is the status of the Burgundy 3200mAh battery? Site says shipping Blue. When will Burgundy ship? $10 more for the 3200mAh, I want it.
    We were expecting the 3200mAh blue door next week, but they came in early. We're expecting the burgundy two weeks from now but we're hoping to get another surprise next week.

Thanks
    You're misreading what I said. I said, "The only way anything could be faster in this scenario is if a higher voltage caused the processor to run faster."

I also said the likelyhood of that is essentially zero.

The Treo will cease to function as a cellphone if its processor clock was not very accurately controlled, for then it would not be able to synchronize with the network.

I'm sure that the network can cope with a small amount of drift, but the error involved is so small that you will never notice it. We're talking in the "parts per million" range.

There is no mechanism by which the battery will do anything other than let you use the Treo for a longer period of time.

Tom
    vetpsychwars,

You have too remember you are taking calculations based on perfect electrical tolerance - NOT all electronics are run and made at +/- 0%.

You cannot say that all Treo processor clocks run exactly the same with absolutely no deviance.

If that were the case all Treos will take a standard battery with full charge and drain a Treo in the exact same amount of time. But nothing is made that perfect.

I am not saying you won't find two Treos that could be exactly the same, but I would bet that if you took 10 Treos or better yet 100 Treos. I will guarantee that under a full standard battery charge and letting the Treos simply sit, they will not all expire at the "exact" same time.

So some Treo owners "may" feel a snappier performance and some not - but you can not say for certain that it is not so, unless ALL tolerance were perfect.

You being an electronics technician should know that there are wide and close tolerance in all electronic components - one of the worst are capacitors - take an electrolyic 100uf and tell me they all spec out the same (its like +/- 50% or greater if I remember correctly) - or take a simple 100 ohm resister whether it be a 1%, 5%, or 10% tolerance - they may be that tolerance but may fall to one side of the spec or the other and will vary from vendor to vendor. I could go on, but you already know that.

Sorry to say as much as we try - Perfection is difficult to obtain no matter what it is - or at least not at what the Treo cost to produce - now if you custom built Treos with super close tolerance and each costing many thousand dollars and each one tweeked to the enth degree then yes perfection "may" possibly be had - but not the Treos we own.

Steve

p.s. for Dim-Ize - if you have a bigger gas tank you "might" go slower in a drag race because it will weigh more - but you probably will go farther in a longer race and win :-)
    Last edited by MouseGlider; 06/20/2007 at 12:11 AM.
    Yes, there certainly is tolerance and deviation.

Even if you stack all of the tolerances such that you have one Treo all the way to the plus side, and another Treo all the way to the minus side, you still won't be able to notice a difference, because it's still fractions of a percent.

Once again... there is NO mechanism by which a larger capacity battery will affect a Treo in any way other than it will run for a longer time. None. Making assertions the other way will not make it so.

Tom

Even if you stack all of the tolerances such that you have one Treo all the way to the plus side, and another Treo all the way to the minus side, you still won't be able to notice a difference, because it's still fractions of a percent.

Once again... there is NO mechanism by which a larger capacity battery will affect a Treo in any way other than it will run for a longer time. None. Making assertions the other way will not make it so.

Tom
    You may know about electronics, but you're clueless when it comes to placebos. LOL

Tom

Racers have said and I have experience this myself having a racers background and race engine building experience (and circuit building, design work and testing from cradle to grave) that sometimes after changing a part like an ecu engine managment or other electrical parts even though they are "identical" gives them a feeling of better throttle response but show absoluting no hp gain on a dyno (maybe a blip or two) but too small to be considered even 1/2 hp gain - yet the driver can feel a differnce in throttle response time because of that change. The car is not faster, but simply feels better.

So what I am trying to say is that in the "real world" when things are made by humans, there ARE tolerance and diviation factors in components that can be skewed in many different ways (not to just one side or the other) and that it IS possible to feel a snappier performance maybe initially and less thru out the day and not in ALL but in SOME areas like app switching etc., as opposed to apps actually running faster, although this might give them the false feeling that the app is snappier when only the switching of the apps are.

But as you have said in one of your post earlier, we all will think what we want and no use arguing.

It just comes done to maybe your "**** dyno" isn't that sensitive to minor changes because you state your logic in absolutes with no room for error - but this is not what sometimes happens in the "real world" - classroom maybe, but NOT always in the "real world".

Also unless you KNOW the exact workflow of how the Treos inards work and their specific tolerance levels, I would argue with you on stating that it is "absolutely impossible" for a Treo to give a user with a better "**** dyno" a feeling of snappier performance no matter how small from the battery change. I will admit not all Treo users might experience this, but as you have seen from this board, some do - good "**** dynos" I guess

Heck my new battery made my Treo feel snappier, brighter, last longer AND more hp to boot!

Steve
    Seriously... some people just don't like when other people are happy about something they don't have...

Al
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast