Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After a half-hour on the phone with Sprint Retentions (after speaking with two people in that department during separate phone calls there today) they are doing the following for me:

1) Replacing my 700P with a 6800 free of charge; returning them the 700 in a mailer kit they're sending out. The 700P was a warranty replacement I had just received three weeks ago for another failed 700P which itself was an insurance replacement for a 650. This line was out of contract. I did not sign a new contract for this.

2) They're replacing my wife's 650 with a 6800 as well; also sending the 650 back, and I paid $219 and re-upped her two year contract which was going to be up in October.

So, in summary, I'll have two new 6800's on Wednesday, one of which is not in contract, in exchange for both of our Treos and $219. I'm feeling pretty good about this. Good bye Palm. and good riddance.

I will still be reading these boards as they and all of you have been such help over the years, but I have to say, there is just too much to like about not having to deal with Palm anymore. I'll post my experiences with the new phones (which are now on Sprint's website).

Edit: My Sprint account shows a credit of $219.99!! So, the nice retentions lady charged my Visa for the 6800 to replace my wife's 650 a total of $219 and then must have also given me a credit for the same amount. I paid a total of $0 for the two 6800s!! Now I'll have to see if the rebates work as well...
    Last edited by Asystole; 06/18/2007 at 03:52 PM. Reason: I just checked my Sprint account...
    you got a heck of a deal.

I'm itching to try the 6800, but know I will eventually go back to my 755P Palm OS anyway..

6800 looks neat
  3.    #3  
    Like all of you, I've been using Palm since...always. It's become masochistic to continue using progressively underwhelming features over the years as the product line evolved, and even those feature that have been included have consistently been bug-riddled. I know it will take some getting used to; the move to WM and all, and I know it will be some work setting the new devices up for one-handed operation, but hey, people are doing it just fine, and there are a good number of apps that make this possible.
    I'm looking forward to WiFi and fully-functioning Bluetooth...in stereo, no less! It's going to be too cool to make calls using just the headset like kids with free Razrs have been doing for hundreds of years. Even the form factor is smaller than the Treo 700P: 4.3h x 2.3w x 0.7d at 5.8oz for the 6800 versus 5.1h x 2.3w x 0.9d. And the 6800 comes with GPS enabled! Who knew?
    Regardless, I know it will take some getting used to, but I will adapt. I considered the Blackberry, but while there are a good number of apps on the market for it, they are not inexpensive, nor is there much in the way of shareware. But, those BBs simply work.
    And isn't that what it's all about: Paying good money for a device, expecting it to perform the functions that is is purported to perform without any problems? To be a good tool? I never have to worry if my hammer is going to lock-up mid-swing. The Blackberry has this concept nailed. I hope for reasonable stability with my new phones' WM6 implementation.
    Time will tell.
    Spend a few weeks with that keyboard before you kiss the Treo line good bye. Some users have made the switch and never looked back, but many have come back begging for the exposed keyboard (myself included).
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    You made a killer deal...congrats. All I can say is make sure you give it some time to grow on you. When I made the switch to my 700wx, I almost returned it after a few days. Luckily I kept it and after a week, I was happy again as I understood how to use WM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    The keyboard in conjunction with WM is a terrible combination IMHO.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Spend a few weeks with that keyboard before you kiss the Treo line good bye. Some users have made the switch and never looked back, but many have come back begging for the exposed keyboard (myself included).
    I understand what you're saying about the keyboard. I went into a Cingular store and played with an 8525. Definitely an acquired taste. But, I'm 6'3" and have hands that match: I was able to hold the phone with the keyboard open in one hand and type with my thumb, like I do with the Treo. of course, this is a 'your mileage may vary' kind of an issue. But, no, I will not beg for an exposed keyboard, nor will I ever buy another Palm product. As a company, they have have done too much to lose my trust and faith in their brand and their products. I guess I've been one of the unlucky ones who has had eleven defective Treos over the years. That's enough. That's TOO much. The phone attracted me as a hobbyist's toy; something to tinker with, to be challenged by (via debugging), etc., like someone who buys an old car looking to recondition it, to rebuild it with their own two hands.
    Enough is enough. I now just want a phone. Albeit, something I can still play with a bit vis a vie customizing by installing different apps on, but in the end, I want the basic functions to simply work: Make a call without rebooting, bluetooth functions, etc. Palm has proven incompetent at these basics requirements. Hopefully HTC with WM6 will succeed where Palm has failed. If not, then I'll go to the Blackberry, which I know does meet these requirements.
    Again, I have no grand aspirations; no delusions of grandeur with respect to my new phones. The biggest thing the 6800 has going for it right now, in my eyes, is that it is not a Palm product.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Ditto. Pulling that thing out to use it became a nuisance.
    It's amazing how well designed the Treo line is, you really can do almost anything with one hand.

However, just discovered the limitations of Bluetooth on this 680, it's absolute dog toffee. What on earth possessed them to release it only being able to hotsync or pair with a headset. Cretins.
    Keep us updated
    at&t iPhone3G
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by danktuft View Post
    It's amazing how well designed the Treo line is, you really can do almost anything with one hand.

However, just discovered the limitations of Bluetooth on this 680, it's absolute dog toffee. What on earth possessed them to release it only being able to hotsync or pair with a headset. Cretins.
    Yes, well-designed in concept, but not in execution. The Treos; at least the one's that I've been afflicted with, simply don't work. All the best design intentions in the world are just that: Intentions. It's Palm's failure to provide reliable hardware and firmware that is their downfall.
    Every Treo I've ever owned has let me down hardware-wise but strangely it's always been the screen that went on me. That's 1 Treo 180 and 3 Treo 600's and this is what forced me to my MDA Vario II (I think you're going to the Sprint version of this).
    Yes, keep us updated. I'm considering this switch as well....
    Sprint just gave me the same deal.. My Mogul should be here tomorrow. and I'm still within the 30 days on my 8525.. me no likey att..

Edit.. oops.. not the same deal.. I don't have to send back my 700p.. Ebay here it comes!
    Quote Originally Posted by flipside99 View Post
    Sprint just gave me the same deal.. My Mogul should be here tomorrow. and I'm still within the 30 days on my 8525.. me no likey att..

Edit.. oops.. not the same deal.. I don't have to send back my 700p.. Ebay here it comes!
    Are you in contract, what did you tell them, are you still within your first 30 days, etc?
    My contract with sprint is almost up.. I gave up on my 700p a couple weeks ago and got an 8525 from AT&T.

I went directly to retentions from the voice system (just say cancel service when you get there). I tried to get a deal from them a couple weeks ago before I got the 8525 from AT&T. I told them I've had nothing but problems and want to cancel. Thats when we worked out the deal.

I renewed for 2 years, They charged me $199 for the mogul and put a $199 credit on my account (logged in and already verified its there)

My 8525 with AT&T is within the 30 days so I'll just send it back tomorrow when my mogul gets here.
    My business is waiting to receive three 6800's this week as a trial for us to "play" with for awhile and decide on a company-wide exchange of hardware.

Two of the 6800's go to IT guys, the third is for ME
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Hey asystole and flipside exactly how were guys able to do that because I have 6700 and so far has been unlucky, also did u talk to retentions or aserion ( w/e that insurance company is) and what did you tell them

Thanks
    Yo Asystole, Glad to hear you got a heck of a deal, but that credit isnt actually a credit, its like a payment hold. I too have this happen everytime I purchase a phone from Sprint over the phone. Whatever payment amount you make will be posted to your bill until the next billing cycle, when they will remove it, and your real bill will be posted. Dont know why they do this, but I had it happen to me three times.

Just giving you a heads up, so you dont do what I did(when I purchased a 6700) and thought I had an extra $500 bucks to blow, just to be disappointed when my billing cycle restarted. Yet again, great deal, and enjoy.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ukraini9mofo View Post
    Hey asystole and flipside exactly how were guys able to do that because I have 6700 and so far has been unlucky, also did u talk to retentions or aserion ( w/e that insurance company is) and what did you tell them

Thanks
    I spoke to a guy named 'James' in retentions whose login ID is JCB5917. I told him about all my trials and tribulations with the Treo line. What actually got something done, however, was when I told him that I had just gotten the 700P replaced a couple weeks back at a local Sprint store. He told me that the phone was therefore still under the 30 day warranty period and I could just swap it for another phone. That was about 10 days ago, and the 6800 wasn't out. He notated my account accordingly. So, when I called retentions back yesterday, I got the nicest lady I have ever spoken with at Sprint. She read the notes, and then fulfilled the deal. Further, when I told her that my company has a corporate account with all of the major carriers including AT&T where I can get any 3G phone for free with a two year contract, she let me replace my wife's 650 for pretty cheap.
    So, my advice for what it's worth, is to get the 6700 replaced at a Sprint store which should start a 30 day trial/warranty period. Then call retentions and see about getting it swapped for the 6800.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast