Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kuoirad View Post
    THIS is why I have packages (UPS *and* FedEx) sent to work instead - "guaranteed" someone around to sign for it, never a problem finding the place, etc....
    I thought of that option, but unfortunately for my company that would add another day (minimum) to the transit. The response from UPS was typical. Summarized: "Yes we had the driver come back and drop if off so you could pick it up. Had you stayed on the line instead of hanging up in disgust you'd have known this." That on top of getting faulted in the accident that was caused by a guy not securing the garbage (which flew into traffic) in the back of his truck just made my week. $2k of damage to my car...<sigh> and "I'm to blame". This game cannot be won. The only satisfaction I got from that was getting the ticket he got bumped to misdemeanor status.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you.
    A good launcher for WM is wise bar found here http://www.lakeridgesoftware.com/
    I have updated my 6800 review post with the following:

After spending more time making/receiving calls my initial impressions were premature and somewhat inaccurate. I am a bit hard of hearing, having said that I can now say that the ringer and earpiece volume are very adequate for me even in moderately noisy environment. The call quality is very good so far on both ends.

Had an opportunity to use the 6800 on direct sunlight today, the screen has virtually no visibility under this lighting conditions. The Treo screen fares far better under same condition.
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 06/24/2007 at 02:26 PM.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    I managed to get the MMS hack working, but I rarely use MMS, so I dunno that I'll get a lot of use from it. Was there a threaded SMS application? I've found the lack of threaded sms and lack of a yahoo client to be my only real annoyances.

The single largest annoyance was the fact that a program didn't actually close when I left it. It merely put it into the background. I've fixed that with the installation of SPB Pocket Plus..
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    Wow.. i'm tempted to get one of these and ditch palm all together.....
    I'm tempted, but I cringe thinking about how much money I've spent on Palm programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    5. Ringtones are few and not too exiting. The ringtones have a rather anemic volume and tone to them but seems easy enough to add new ones. Volume of ringer/earpiece/speaker are a bit low for my taste - better than the Treo w/o VolumeCare, but lower than a "dumbphone".
    For mp3 ringer you can go to My Device/ My Documents/ My Ringtones and copy an mp3 or a small wav file. You can then choose that as your primary ringtone in the Phone under Setting.

EDIT: After spending more time making/receiving calls my initial impressions were premature and somewhat inaccurate. I am a bit hard of hearing, having said that I can now say that the ringer and earpiece volume are very adequate for me even in moderately noisy environment. The call quality is very good so far on both ends.
    It's adequate for me in most cases but at clubs or bars a 3rd party volume booster is necessary for me. Ive yet to find one that does what Volume care does.

6. Don't like much the included Messaging application, email is OK.
    I've installed the threaded SMS and MMS hack and both are working. Instant messaging, Mundu is working also. I agree about the email. It doesn't work like Chatter or Snappermail. All it does is download email to your phone and there is no way to delete on the server so you will have to manually go online on your computer to actually delete email.

7. On-Handed uasbility is there but can not hold a candle to the Treo. The wheel is great for navigating menus and making most selections. The five-way navigation switch is good, but not as good as the Treo's. I have found a number of menu selections that can not be "reached" with either the wheel or the navigation button - poor OS integration here - and require a tap. With this device using the stylus is necessary.
    I agree on this one. One handed use the Treo 700p is the clear winner hands down. It's cumbersome to dial a contact since there is no built in Favorites that you can program like the Treos.

9. Wi-Fi was one of the major reasons for this trial and after trying it I am certainly impressed with the ease of connection and good reception. Surfing the web or receiving email is a breeze. The internet experience is so much faster as compared to my Treo 700p, it has really blown me away. I can only wonder what I could do with a better browser.
    Definitely wi-fi is a plus. Very easy to set up. Once it picks up your wireless you just have to enter your WEP key and youre done.

IE on the 6800 is definitely a little faster than Blazer but I do miss the ease of use with Blazer such as going forward a page using the "N" key. or being able to navigate all the way to the menu bar for easy accesss to Bookmarks etc. You also lose the capability of checking your Sprint account on the 6800. Havent figured out a way around it yet.

10. The screen is large and very sharp as discussed above, after changing the awfull yellow scheme, I am LOVING the Today screen. Looking for worthy plug-in's to add already.
    I never wanted to go to WM device since I thought I was spoiled for 3 long years with a 320x320 screen but with the 6800 I hardly miss the Treo screen. The 6800 screen is actually sharp. No regrets in this department.

On the negative, having to dig on the menus for every program is tedious and inefficient, looking for a good program launcher to allow me to organize and launch my most used applications from the screen with a single tap - any suggestions?
    As for plug-ins check out the thread below. I've already installed the HTC Touch home pluggin and its very cool. It has a separate on screen section for 8 configurable application launcher. Tap the weather button and the window for those application turns to your weather screen. Then a home button makes it a digital clock screen. Install the HTC Default Theme and HTC Home plug. There's a dialer screen there but you have to search the threads for pic. I like the default on the6800 however. I didnt install anything else on the list.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=311225

11. The camera has 2MP, slightly better than the Treo's yet pictures taken with good lighting are sharper and with good saturation, better than my Treo's - as good as you can get with a phone camera I mean. The camera offers a "flash" which is quite useless, also records short (30-sec) video clips with sound. One neat thing is when taking photos on landscape orientation, the shutter is on the upper right corner allowing the phone to operate much like a regular compact digital camera.
    Digging the camera. It's really almost like a real camera with different capture modes like indoor, out door, sports, 2sec/10sec timer.

12. The Micro-SD is certainly a point of contention to most but this is the way things will go from now on - cards will get smaller as devices shrink. The card seats on a well at the bottom of the device, recessed making it difficult to "pop-out" by accident while carring the device around. In order to remove it you have to press with fingernail to make it pop, sometimes a bit difficult. The stylus is on the bottom and even when it seats tight now, is likely to become looser with continued use being prone to get lost I fear.
    Just to add - the 6800 supports 4gb micro SD.

13. Someone indicated the power button location is ackward, I like it this way; I have pressed the red button on my Treo for more a second at times "triggering" the radio power-down cycle by mistake. What I have trouble with is understanding the locking function, still "playing" with it but not as intuitive as KeyGuard on the Treo. What I REALLY miss is a hard button to turn vibrate mode on-off "on the fly", instead this functions requires a screen tap or a menu search.
    The 6800 does not have a keyguard program built in like the 700. PM me and I'll send you a slider unlocker program. How it works is when you wake up the phone the slider disables the screen and the buttons except for a portion on the screen on the bottow with a slider button. You need to slide the button across to unlock the phone. It's based on the iphone slider I believe.

I also miss the silent switch but on the 6800 for quick access to vibrate mode, hit the Command button next to the power button and it will open up your toggles for flight mode, bluetooth, radio on/off, ringer on/off vibrate, and active sync button.

14. Bugs me a bit that the USB on the phone is a proprietary design requiring an adapter to connect a standard mini-USB cable. That means more adapters and cable to have around to charge/sync/hear music. Also the IR port being on the bottom of the unit will make using the phone as a remote cumbersome to say the least.
    What bugs me is that there is no headset port but a Y dongle for the mini USB port on the phone. One end of the dongle is a 2.5mm port so not only do you have to use the dongle, you also need to use a 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter to use standard headphones.

The 6800 is certainly an impressive device with excellent features and great potential but is somewhat weak in the one-handed operation department. Despite that I feel is a device worth looking at for anyone considering the move.
    Definitely worth checking out if youre in the market for a new phone or atleast looking for another alternative other than Palm. You will miss the one-handed operation however. I'm hoping to find more 3rd party apps that will make this device as close to one handed as the Treo.

Oh forgot to mention one other useful feature (for me anyway). When youre on a call you can hold down the talk key for a few seconds to enable speaker mode. Hold it down again to disable.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMooch View Post
    I managed to get the MMS hack working, but I rarely use MMS, so I dunno that I'll get a lot of use from it. Was there a threaded SMS application? I've found the lack of threaded sms and lack of a yahoo client to be my only real annoyances.

The single largest annoyance was the fact that a program didn't actually close when I left it. It merely put it into the background. I've fixed that with the installation of SPB Pocket Plus..
    Here you go. http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/pbar.shtml

This will close the program when you hit the X. and it's FREE! unlike SPB
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    It's adequate for me in most cases but at clubs or bars a 3rd party volume booster is necessary for me. Ive yet to find one that does what Volume care does.
    Still looking for a VolumeCare equivalent myself, until then you can check this discussion:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...loud+ringtones

I've installed the threaded SMS and MMS hack and both are working. Instant messaging, Mundu is working also. I agree about the email. It doesn't work like Chatter or Snappermail. All it does is download email to your phone and there is no way to delete on the server so you will have to manually go online on your computer to actually delete email.
    I'll be checking the web/boards for suggestions on third party email clients later this week. On my preliminary search I have not found any.

What bugs me is that there is no headset port but a Y dongle for the mini USB port on the phone. One end of the dongle is a 2.5mm port so not only do you have to use the dongle, you also need to use a 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter to use standard headphones.
    Great point, I forgot about this one. Guess having native support for stereo bluetooth headsets mitigates this one considerably... but still a negative.

Thank you very much, great addition to the on-going review, excellent points all. I will check out the reference provided, those plug-ins sound promissing.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    One last thought, haven't found a way to stream web radio like the 700p. Any ideas?

:
    One last thought, haven't found a way to stream web radio like the 700p. Any ideas?
    You can't according to CNET.........
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    Oh forgot to mention one other useful feature (for me anyway). When youre on a call you can hold down the talk key for a few seconds to enable speaker mode. Hold it down again to disable.
    holy crap.. nice find!! Unfortunately it doesn't work if you have a bluetooth turned on.. at least not for me anyway.
    You can stream Shoutcast using GSplayer which is free. Not really customizable and no EQ.

Or you can use PocketPlayer. This ones skinnable and has 10 Graphic EQ. For $19.95
    Hey anzmode, thanks once again, you are making my transition considerably less painful.

LOL...700p Forum....PPC discussion...luvin it. ;P

Well, if anyone is interested I have a Sprint 700P with goodies for sale!
    For anyone looking for an alternative browser.

http://www.opera.com/products/mobile...cts/winmobile/
    Thanks TreoNewt for the review.

Well, I just joined the dark side, ordered my PPC-6800 replacement today. Will have it by Friday . I have gone from Treo 300->600->700p and am tired of the reset problems w/ the 700p. I'll miss the simplicity of the Palm OS and am hoping Styletap will help ease the transition.
    Quote Originally Posted by dubroz View Post
    Thanks TreoNewt for the review.

Well, I just joined the dark side, ordered my PPC-6800 replacement today. Will have it by Friday . I have gone from Treo 300->600->700p and am tired of the reset problems w/ the 700p. I'll miss the simplicity of the Palm OS and am hoping Styletap will help ease the transition.
    How much did you pay for your 6800? Did you go through the store or over the phone? I desperately want to try. Thanks.
    It was a free swap for my two month old 700p. I was on my second 700p and for some reason sprint reset the clock for 30-day warantee exchange. When I asked how much the PPc-6800 would cost, they said I still had 8 days left to exchange under the 30 day policy. I guess technically I should see a $100 credit since the Mogul is cheaper (not holding my breathe).
    Thanks. I'm on my second 700p as well but I had the first one just shy of a year waiting for the stupid update to try and remedy things. Still trying to figure out how to get a little help on a new phone (the 6800).
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast