Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    not one problem ever with UPS here.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I know the learning curve will be steep, I will miss a number of features I am used to from the Palm world, but there are a great number of WM users that are happly with the experience therefore it can't be so bad. I have reviewed availability of software for WM over the past few months and have an idea of what I would like to get for my new phone whenever I get it.
    The learning curve isnt steep at all. Since you'll be on it a lot, you'll find yourself quickly adapting to it.

I was so stuck on the Palm Treo that I never considered using anything else. My 700p now sits in a drawer somewhere; I should just sell it since it was a recent replacement; but that'll be a different topic.

I've been using the 6700 since Feb/March and couldnt be happier. There are a ton of WM apps you'll be happy with that work just as good, if not better than palm...IMO!

Enjoy your 6800!!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    I found a forum for us 6800 users

http://www.ppcgeeks.com/htc-titan-f45.html
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex View Post
    The learning curve isnt steep at all. Since you'll be on it a lot, you'll find yourself quickly adapting to it.

I was so stuck on the Palm Treo that I never considered using anything else. My 700p now sits in a drawer somewhere; I should just sell it since it was a recent replacement; but that'll be a different topic.

I've been using the 6700 since Feb/March and couldnt be happier. There are a ton of WM apps you'll be happy with that work just as good, if not better than palm...IMO!

Enjoy your 6800!!
    I'm looking forward to the new device with gleeful anticipation, I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised to see the breath of good WM applications out there; must importantly, several WM programming environments.

I know I am going to really enjoy the next few weeks with my new *toy*, was "overnighted" to me and is already out for delivery today.

I will ask for your indulgence when I start asking REALLY dumb questions, I am an old Palm OS hacker but know very little about WM... I'm back to being a true noob.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by flipside99 View Post

There is also a very active user community at www.pdaphonehome.com with forums for multiple WM and Palm devices. Here is the 6800 forum:

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6800-xv6800/

Would be nice to have one here at TreoCentral though... just like the iPhone does.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    My Mogul is being delivered today. I just can't take the old-school blackberry calendar. I've actually missed some appointments b/c of it. It really does suck (of course email is superb, but not essential for me). Hope the battery life is better than the 6700, which was laughable.
    I'm seriously considering the Mogul. Let us know how it goes please. I've been with Treos since the 300 and i'm just tired of palm finally. The Mogul seems to have every feature under the sun on it with the biggest negative probably being the dpad and storage. The scroll wheel makes one handed operation easier i hear which was a concern.

BTW..does pdanet work on it? I believe it would do everything else...even slingbox. And future Rev a speed is awesome.

I considered the iphone, but a lack of 3G, poor coverage in my area, not being sprint, just are deal breakers.

CNET wasn't very kind in their review but then again, their reviewer doesn't have much credibility in my eyes. She did mention call quality and volume were disappointing.
    Well. I'm on day 3 here.. I'm loving it more and more. The threaded SMS app works perfectly, there's an MMS app ported from the 750 that works perfectly as well. Voice dial works perfectly, bt headset works perfectly, wi-fi works perfectly. I've been on the phone for nearly 4 hours strait today and still have 80% battery.

My bluetooth GPS arrived today and another flawless operation with tomtom6.

I ordered a mount for the AT&T 8525 and the mogul fits in it perfectly as well. Everything in the mount works, charging the speaker.. all of it..

I'm never going back..
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    ...BTW..does pdanet work on it? I believe it would do everything else...even slingbox. And future Rev a speed is awesome.
    There is already is a WM version of PdaNet that works on the 6700, is very likely to work on the 6800 as other WM5 are reported as working well.
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 06/21/2007 at 02:56 PM.

Well. I'm on day 3 here.. I'm loving it more and more. The threaded SMS app works perfectly, there's an MMS app ported from the 750 that works perfectly as well...
    I have read about the SMS/MMS applications on several forums already, where are those files available? Can you share the installation steps (there are different methods I've seen already to do this).

Am leaving now, going to the UPS store to pick my new *toy* that was just delivered an hour ago.

sent u a PM
    Just called in to retentions...figured if they would throw a 6800 my way for $200 or less I would go for it. I got some dude named David who was stumbling all over himself...must be new.

Anyway, my $80/month contract was up in Nov 2006. I had a Treo 650 until this January 2007, when I got an insurance replacement for a busted headset jack. They gave me a 700p which has pretty much sucked. It's usable, but the lag and bluetooth plus the keypad beep is really getting on my nerves. I gave David the whole sob story and he offered me the 6800 for retail minus $75!!

I calmly asked him why wouldn't I just sign up for a new line instead and cancel the old one, after all it's not on contract - that way I at least get the phone for $150 off retail. He really didn't know what to say. He kept trying to offer cheaper monthly rates, going as far as a $25 service credit per month for 24 months, but no budging on the phone price! After about 30 minutes and several times telling him that I was unhappy with the phone and just wanted a decent PDA phone for a reasonable price, I finally gave up.

I called the SERO line and they quoted me $288 for a new Mogul on the $30 SERO plan. I think I'll just go for that and then cancel my main line.

So, to sum it all up:
    Retentions: $475 for the Mogul on a plan that costs me $80 a month
    SERO: $288 for the Mogul on a plan that costs me $37 a month (TEP incl.)

I would have been happy to pay $80 a month and get a Mogul for free or even $200, but instead I'll go SERO and save $43 a month and $200 on the phone. Sheesh!
    sent u a PM
    Thank you kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by saucycg View Post
    Just called in to retentions...figured if they would throw a 6800 my way for $200 or less I would go for it. I got some dude named David who was stumbling all over himself...must be new.

Anyway, my $80/month contract was up in Nov 2006. I had a Treo 650 until this January 2007, when I got an insurance replacement for a busted headset jack. They gave me a 700p which has pretty much sucked. It's usable, but the lag and bluetooth plus the keypad beep is really getting on my nerves. I gave David the whole sob story and he offered me the 6800 for retail minus $75!!

I calmly asked him why wouldn't I just sign up for a new line instead and cancel the old one, after all it's not on contract - that way I at least get the phone for $150 off retail. He really didn't know what to say. He kept trying to offer cheaper monthly rates, going as far as a $25 service credit per month for 24 months, but no budging on the phone price! After about 30 minutes and several times telling him that I was unhappy with the phone and just wanted a decent PDA phone for a reasonable price, I finally gave up.

I called the SERO line and they quoted me $288 for a new Mogul on the $30 SERO plan. I think I'll just go for that and then cancel my main line.

So, to sum it all up:
    Retentions: $475 for the Mogul on a plan that costs me $80 a month
    SERO: $288 for the Mogul on a plan that costs me $37 a month (TEP incl.)

I would have been happy to pay $80 a month and get a Mogul for free or even $200, but instead I'll go SERO and save $43 a month and $200 on the phone. Sheesh!
    That was quite bad indeed. At least you came ahead on the deal.

Let us know when you get yours... just got mine this afternoon, have it charging now; my journey into WM begins tonight.

Thanks!!!
    ----

Sprint Treo 700p
    Newt,

Any update?
    Using the 6800 as trial for the past week, here are some initial thoughts
    (Please note this is my first WM device in a long time, my prior experience - brief - was with Win CE 1.1)

1. The phone looks very stylish with curvy lines and extremely pleasant grey finish. Screen is large (as compared to my Treo 700p) with good brightness and excellent resolution (QVGA) - have not used on sunlight, has been rainny lately. Side by side is thinner, shorter and lighter than the Treo.

EDIT: Had an opportunity to use the 6800 on direct sunlight today; the screen has virtually no visibility under this lighting conditions. The Treo screen fares far better under same condition.

2. The phone is slippery and anticipate some problems with this. Battery cover is extremely poor, very thin and flimsy will likely fail even with best of care. The keyboard snaps easily into place and back, feels secure but surely with frequent use will become loose. Keyboard has large rectangular slightly raised keys, takes some getting-used-to after experiencing the Treo, but very usable design. The keyboard's backlighting scheme is very pleasant and effective.

3. Memory is certainly plentiful (though you can never have enough of that) with ample ROM for program storage and standard RAM capacity. With all programs closed, the RAM is just over 22MB; with most included programs open is just above 10MB and still quite snappy.

4. For those asking, the transition time from portrait to landscape when opening the keyboard is quick, around a second or less. Apparently the 6700 was very slow in this transition.

5. Ringtones are few and not too exiting. The ringtones have a rather anemic volume and tone to them but seems easy enough to add new ones. Volume of ringer/earpiece/speaker are a bit low for my taste - better than the Treo w/o VolumeCare, but lower than a "dumbphone".

EDIT: After spending more time making/receiving calls my initial impressions were premature and somewhat inaccurate. I am a bit hard of hearing, having said that I can now say that the ringer and earpiece volume are very adequate for me even in moderately noisy environment. The call quality is very good so far on both ends.

6. Don't like much the included Messaging application, email is OK. The phone dialer, while functional, seems a bit too plain to me - I have used TakePhone for several years now. Any suggestion for a better third-party dialer like TakePhone?

7. On-Handed uasbility is there but can not hold a candle to the Treo. The wheel is great for navigating menus and making most selections. The five-way navigation switch is good, but not as good as the Treo's. I have found a number of menu selections that can not be "reached" with either the wheel or the navigation button - poor OS integration here - and require a tap. With this device using the stylus is necessary.

8. I did have second thoughts about having to use the keyboard for every little text input needed throughout the day. Then I discovered than WM offers a input pad virtually identical to graffiti - I was a heavy graffiti user before I got the Treo and missed it much. Now I am in love again, I foresee my use of the external keyboard will be minimal.

9. Wi-Fi was one of the major reasons for this trial and after trying it I am certainly impressed with the ease of connection and good reception. Surfing the web or receiving email is a breeze. The internet experience is so much faster as compared to my Treo 700p, it has really blown me away. I can only wonder what I could do with a better browser.

10. The screen is large and very sharp as discussed above, after changing the awfull yellow scheme, I am LOVING the Today screen. Looking for worthy plug-in's to add already. On the negative, having to dig on the menus for every program is tedious and inefficient, looking for a good program launcher to allow me to organize and launch my most used applications from the screen with a single tap - any suggestions?

11. The camera has 2MP, slightly better than the Treo's yet pictures taken with good lighting are sharper and with good saturation, better than my Treo's - as good as you can get with a phone camera I mean. The camera offers a "flash" which is quite useless, also records short (30-sec) video clips with sound. One neat thing is when taking photos on landscape orientation, the shutter is on the upper right corner allowing the phone to operate much like a regular compact digital camera.

12. The Micro-SD is certainly a point of contention to most but this is the way things will go from now on - cards will get smaller as devices shrink. The card seats on a well at the bottom of the device, recessed making it difficult to "pop-out" by accident while carring the device around. In order to remove it you have to press with fingernail to make it pop, sometimes a bit difficult. The stylus is on the bottom and even when it seats tight now, is likely to become looser with continued use being prone to get lost I fear.

13. Someone indicated the power button location is ackward, I like it this way; I have pressed the red button on my Treo for more a second at times "triggering" the radio power-down cycle by mistake. What I have trouble with is understanding the locking function, still "playing" with it but not as intuitive as KeyGuard on the Treo. What I REALLY miss is a hard button to turn vibrate mode on-off "on the fly", instead this functions requires a screen tap or a menu search.

14. Bugs me a bit that the USB on the phone is a proprietary design requiring an adapter to connect a standard mini-USB cable. That means more adapters and cable to have around to charge/sync/hear music. Also the IR port being on the bottom of the unit will make using the phone as a remote cumbersome to say the least.

The 6800 is certainly an impressive device with excellent features and great potential but is somewhat weak in the one-handed operation department. Despite that I feel is a device worth looking at for anyone considering the move.

So far I really like the device, but is early to say if I will adopt it. I will continue my testing of telephony features and quality next week and post an update of my results.

And there you have it, first impressions from a WM noob... please bear with me if I happen to ask one too many dumb questions about WM in the future.
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 06/24/2007 at 02:26 PM.

Are punctuation marks back lit this time? The 6700 only back lit letters and numbers... Drove me nuts. I've given up on my Treo 700p. I got a replacement from Sprint so I could have a pre-MR phone again, tried out the Moto Q, and am waiting for more feedback on the 6800. I'm 95% sure I'll end up getting one. The Moto Q was quite good... Almost better than the 700p, but I have to have certain apps (like Pocket Quicken) that aren't available for the Smartphone version of Windows Mobile yet. Otherwise, I would have kept the Q and never looked back. I'm actually glad Palm screwed this whole 700p thing up... Now I can move on to better things like Wi-Fi, real voice dial that I don't have to pay for, the ability to use voice dial over bluetooth, and better (and faster) webpage rendering.

Thanks,

Mike
    Yes the punctuation keys are backlighted on the 6800.

Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMooch View Post
    Well, I WOULD have gotten mine today if it weren't for the fact that UPS is incapable of basic quality controls.

THIS is why I avoid UPS whenever possible.

<snip>
    As you can no doubt guess...I RAGING pissed.
    THIS is why I have packages (UPS *and* FedEx) sent to work instead - "guaranteed" someone around to sign for it, never a problem finding the place, etc....
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast