Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I was just curious. I figured it would be nice of them to come pre-installed so that customers don't have to do it, but then again that might mean extra work on their part.

Plus, since it has been recalled does that mean it would be a bad idea to send new ones out with it on there?

I'm one of those people who couldn't get to my computer in time to download the MR update, so I am stuck with an old version still. I'm still waiting on them to re-post the MR for the rest of us.

No hurry. My replacement 700p seems to working fine for now (knocking on wood), I would just like to update and someday have access to a customized ROM.

Oh well. Anyone know about the issued SPRINT phones?

Thanks
    K-
    I just got back from the Sprint store after getting my 700p replaced with one brand new out of the box. I am still in the 30 day window so that's a huge plus. I would like a custom rom also, but there is no way in hell I'll install that MR again and unless you want a screwed up phone, you should avoid it also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaivorb View Post
    I was just curious. I figured it would be nice of them to come pre-installed so that customers don't have to do it, but then again that might mean extra work on their part.

Plus, since it has been recalled does that mean it would be a bad idea to send new ones out with it on there?

I'm one of those people who couldn't get to my computer in time to download the MR update, so I am stuck with an old version still. I'm still waiting on them to re-post the MR for the rest of us.

No hurry. My replacement 700p seems to working fine for now (knocking on wood), I would just like to update and someday have access to a customized ROM.

Oh well. Anyone know about the issued SPRINT phones?

Thanks
    K-
    They will not be coming with the MR anytime soon. At least not until Palm smooths out the bumps but the phones would still come from palm with the MR update, sprint would never touch that sort of thing. Ive updated 4 phones now (wife just got hers over the weekend) and I haven't experienced any of the problems a lot of people have had. But in short I wouldn't hold your breath that sprint will be sending out phones the the MR update any time soon.
    I just got a replacement phone today after my original got messed up due to me break buttons on there. The original which was not refurbrished went well with the MR and i just updated the refurbrished one which i got today with the SD method of the MR that i found here on this and it went well. I think people werent doing something right with theres. But sprint has not issued any with mr on there as of today.
    ^^

How did you do yours? What do you think is wrong with Palm's procedure or other's procedure as outlined in "The Thread(tm)". Just curious (and grasping at straws as to how I managed to brick 4....)
    As much as I'd like to believe that people are doing something wrong to brick their phones, but come on. The update procedure was pretty much, "plug in device, don't touch it and click Next" (via USB). I did that, it got thru the download and install, then said it was rebooting my device to finish the update...and boy did it. If 10-30% of the users on THIS forum bricked their 700p on the first try then 1) we have really incompetent readers, or 2) something is wrong with the upgrade or there's some variance in the 700p hardware Palm didn't take account for. Plus, I simply didn't believe that I should have resorted to some magic dance to get it working again (like the yank-the-battery-and-reset-while-plugged-in trick) or have to use a third party software to backup/restore the ROM of my device "just in case". I paid good money for this device, why should I have to support it myself for a "simple" update is coming from the manufacturer? To me, that's like buying a new computer, getting a DVD burner upgrade from the store and then have to turn around to fix it yourself because now the computer won't turn on. Worse yet, have the store CHARGE you to fix what they broke (like Palm's $25 service fee).

Uh, that rant was a bit longer than I expected, sorry about that. Anyway, back to the topic...

I wouldn't hold my breath about Sprint issuing 700p's with 1.10 installed anytime soon. After my phone bricked, I asked Palm to send me a 700p with 1.10 already installed or send me a 755p. They sent me a 755p if that says anything...
    The replacement 700p I got from Palm came with 1.08. No MR installed.

And yes, I also had to pay the $25 fee for advanced exchange. Total rip-off, especially since i was in warranty. But I didn't want to wait the two plus weeks that the tech told me it could take, from me sending my phone to them, them checking it out and processing it, and then them shipping me out a replacement unit through UPS ground.

But at least I have a new phone.
    The phone has been EOL'd....they're not making them anymore, which means they can't install a new ROM. All the 700Ps will have 1.08, unless they decide to upgrade them manually before they send them out....
    I as well got a new 700p out of the box and I said..I want to check this before I accept it. Has the 1.08 and I WILL NOT LOAD THE NEW MR PERIOD.

If I do this, there is no way of going back.

Second, I told them I wont accept a refurb, so it was a straight replacement and I did have the insurance.

I've done a full restore with the new one, and truth be told, I think it sounds better than the last, and blazer seems to be faster than my older one.

I'm pretty happy with it all in all.

Do I wish I had that new mogul? Probably, but I didn't really ask. So far the device is running great, and I will keep it that way. No MR for me.
    ^^No MR for my "new" 700p either. BT still sucks and the lag, oh the lag...

But, I can (have too) live with it........
    PALM replacement...refurbed and no MR. Yeah, I'm happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleNerd View Post
    ^^No MR for my "new" 700p either. BT still sucks and the lag, oh the lag...

But, I can (have too) live with it........

We can try the BB 8830
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    We can try the BB 8830
    No BB's for me, thanks. If anything it'll be the 6800.
    My 700p is not as bad as others seem to be after the MR... BT is much better but STILL has issues, the lag is slowly creeping back in without any new apps and the alarms now are too low to be effective even at the highest volume setting possible.

I when ahead and ordered a 6800, should be in sometime this week. I just want to try a different platform and assess the overall functionality in terms of stability and features given my current needs. I already made my decision to move from Palm OS, the current crop of devices no longer satisfy my basic personal/business needs; will see how well can I adapt to WM user interface, as you can appreciate from my signature, I started with Win CE, been a Palm power user for many years on several devices now going full circle back to Win CE again.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Keep us updated on the 6800. I'd be there myself if I had the cashola...
    I had a HUGE lag today. So much so I just started pressing the home button. I almost took a small nap and then blazer loaded. Doesn't do it every time, but it still does it, and MAN its slow as hell. I still wont load the MR though, and I may not even load it once they release it again.

I dont know, I may not buy another one when my contract is up. If they are going in the direction they have gone, forget it.

Since the 700p is new and I have a few accessories I thought about switching to the 6800, but since I dont want to sign another contract it would be $549 minus what ever I can get from the new 700p, extended battery, headphone adapter and USB charger. I'd still probably have to pay out of pocket 200+ and I dont want to do that.

Maybe it'll be on ebay later. Cant always trust ebay, so you have to really look at who sells it. If I was ready for a new 2yr, I definitely consider at the $399 price. Too bad its not that, minus what I could get for the 700p. Then it would almost be free.