1.    #1  
    Anyone using SplashNews(free)? If so what's your opinion of it?
    Looks suspiciously like Smaato News...

Oh well, it is
  3.    #3  
    Really, I never used Smaato News. What do you think about it. I tried Smaato cost and it was big and slow.
    The "ad supported" bit put me off Smaato News. It was ok I guess, but a bit slow. Have you tried the free release (versions before the shareware version) of Resco Neews! ?
  5.    #5  
    Nope, where can I get a copy?
    SplashData has stopped development on all their other, once first-class, line of products. I think they're on the brink of folding or being bought out.

I would think RescoNewws or Iambic TopStory (http://www.iambic.com/topstory/palmos/) would be the way to go.
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Resco was the app I liked the most when I was trying them out. TopStory and SplashNews used up too much screen space for the ad (which is to be expected) and "fluff" for icons and such. It left the actual news too little screen space to bother with. Now I just go to Google reader and read it that way. The mobile version isn't as organized as the other news readers, but it syncs up with my desktop reading, too, so that is a nice plus.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    SplashData has stopped development on all their other, once first-class, line of products. I think they're on the brink of folding or being bought out.

Really? That'd be a shame if true. However, this statement strikes me as a bit odd.

For instance, they just released SplashTravel 2.0 about a month ago, which has already received a number of updates. (As an aside, I've been using the Pro version for several weeks and can recommend it). A few months before that they released SplashNotes. A beta of SplashID 4.0 is now out and being discussed on the SplashData Yahoo group.

I've been a fan of their software for quite a while, so it's nice to see this recent flurry of activity. I've not tried SplashNews, however, since I'm quite happy with QuickNews.
    SplashNotes is also "not done by" SplashData but is a re-branded HandsHigh ThoughtManager. My understanding was that most of the original Splash folks went with SplashBlog over to SixApart when they acquired that app (but I may be wrong).

SplashData and Iambic both seem to be into the "re-branding" software business more now than ever. (for example, Propel is just re-branded Initiate by Hobbiest Software...And Easy Notes I think was someone else's at one time also).
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.