1.    #1  
    Palm has a perfectly servicable SDIO wifi card. Demand would be astounding if they released Treo drivers for this and I expect\ it will keep a lot of people from Jumping ship.

From a software effort, this should be a virutal no brainer. Wifi works under Palm-os. It worked on my Treo 650 with the Enforna unit. I know battery life would suffer, but if you only use it when you need it, it would give significant life to the Treo line.

Thoughts?
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    Please read page 1 story in Thursday, June 14, 2007 Wall Street Journal: A Fight Over What You Can Do on a Cellphone, Handset Makers Push Free Features for Which Carriers Want to Charge.
    I barely used it on my Vario II I have to say, sucked the battery up the one time I gave it a good go.
    I'm driving down the road, there's a signal.. wait.. oh, there's another, no wait....

I'm in the middle of a field.. Oh wait, no signal.

I'm at Starbucks. Wait, I don't pay $30/mo for wireless.

I just used WiFi for 30 minutes, wait, my battery is dead.

Cellular data is slower, but it's much more battery efficient, works mobile, and works damn near everywhere. WiFi is quite low on my list of things I want from my Treo.
    WiFi is a "Nice To Have" feature on my Treo.......not a "NEED To Have" feature.
    I agree on "nice to have/need to have" for wifi. I DO have Hotspots for Starbucks but I need data for email mostly and wifi isn't necessary for that purpose.

But the original proposition is correct. Even if wifi is a "nice to have" non-essential, adding it to the Treo at this late stage will buy a bit more lifespan for the old beastie in the market.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I don't for sure want WIFI on my Treo. I wouldn't use it except for maybe accessing files off my Mac at home... but I can do this with my iBook G3.

If anything I would leave the WIFI off. Im looking at new smartphones right now and came across the HTC S710. I can't say I would use the WIFI, but it is for sure not a decision maker here.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Off topic, but not really I guess..

Friend of mine got some HTC model, I forget which... Opted to get voice, but no data on it. Because it has WiFi, he doesn't need an expensive data package! I kept telling him that WiFi won't help him most places, but he was convinced that he could "hit spots" when he needed data.

I think it wasn't even two weeks later he was griping that he "had" to get the data package. I asked him why. He was reluctant to own up to it, but it was because he finally realized that while WiFi is common, it's not everywhere like cellular data is.
    On the other hand (and public hotspots notwithstanding) I can access both my home and work WiFi networks from my old TX to quickly check email or nip online via Blazer to check something - without having to boot up my computer or sign away my first born to use a data plan on my 680.

But Palm builds the Treo for wireless providers, not end users. Maybe the iPhone (with its promised WiFi) will put an end to that and force Palm to do likewise - but just don't hold your breath....
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    Wifi was promised for the treo 600 model, palm is just to slow to market, and they have way to many models, and not enough updates, but hey there is always the Folio!
    Quote Originally Posted by MleB View Post
    On the other hand (and public hotspots notwithstanding) I can access both my home and work WiFi networks from my old TX to quickly check email or nip online via Blazer to check something - without having to boot up my computer or sign away my first born to use a data plan on my 680.

But Palm builds the Treo for wireless providers, not end users. Maybe the iPhone (with its promised WiFi) will put an end to that and force Palm to do likewise - but just don't hold your breath....
    A lot of other devices, mostly WM, have WiFi. Why must people keep bringing up the stupid iPhone in every conversion. VOMIT.
    Quote Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
    From a software effort, this should be a virutal no brainer. Wifi works under Palm-os. It worked on my Treo 650 with the Enforna unit. I know battery life would suffer, but if you only use it when you need it, it would give significant life to the Treo line.

Thoughts?
    UH....no I don't think so... The whole point is that PalmOS DOES NOT support multiple simutaneous wireless radios (BT being the exception) for seamless wireless switching from say 1xEvDo to wifi and back. It simply is not possible on the current incarnations of FrankenGarnet/ACESS OS/whatever. If you truely want to see wifi in the Treo line, wait for the final release of Palm Linux Treo to finally see that happen....

On the other hand. there is NO friggin excuse why there isn't integrated wifi on the WM Treos...however the rumored 800w is supposed to have integrated wifi+gps but lets wait and see...

I personally don't buy the wireless carrier arguement of why there aren't any wifi enabled Treos b/c there are already soooo many other devices that do have wifi out there for the consumer. IMO, this is purely a Palm issue nothing else...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    UH....no I don't think so... The whole point is that PalmOS DOES NOT support multiple simutaneous wireless radios (BT being the exception) for seamless wireless switching from say 1xEvDo to wifi and back. It simply is not possible on the current incarnations of FrankenGarnet/ACESS OS/whatever. If you truely want to see wifi in the Treo line, wait for the final release of Palm Linux Treo to finally see that happen....:
    I'm not sure I entirely buy that. I think that Bluetooth and the Enfora use the USB interface of the Treo which is why they do interopt. I still believe that Palm could do this, if they want. And it would definitely extend the life of the line.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?