1.    #1  
    Whatever happened to Datebook in the 680? It's had half it's functionality stripped out

No floating events - I'd come to rely on those.

Only half the selection of views - since owning a 180, then 600, I've probably used the 2-week view more than anything else, now you just get day, month, or year.

And no list view - the ability to filter by a search term was really handy.

OK, the summary page is nice, but why remove almost everything else - what are Palm on?

I've just been trying the freeware event-floater. I'm not convinced it works properly yet, but it's only had one overnight event since I installed it, so it's not had much testing.

Does this mean I have to go and buy a calendar app. just to regain some basic functionality?

If so, any recommendations? I don't want loads of bells and whistles, just something that's not a backward step

Rick
    uhmmm.. what are you talking about? I bought Agendus and then Datebk6 just because Palm's proprietary datebook application is way too plain and simple... I am sure it never supported floating events, not to mention the 2 week view...

On the other hand I might be totally wrong because I never had the chance to use a Treo 600...
    Handspring used a stripped down version of DateBk from PimlicoSoftware. PalmOne had their own updated datebook. The Treo 600 being from Handspring it had the DateBk version where the PalmOne/Palm Treo's had the other. Just look into DateBk6 more features than you were used to but by far my most used app.

http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk6.htm
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I bought DateBk5 just to get these features back. Used it in both my 650 and 680.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies.

Since posting I started looking for alternatives and found Datebk, and hence the history of Handspring/Pimlico/Datebk+/PalmOne/Palm etc. It does explain things, but I'm disappointed that Palm were too cheapskate to continue to licence a version of Datbk for the new models. (It does explain why floating events didn't work in the Palm Desktop though )

I guess I'm going to have to buy Datebk6 - at least the proceeds go to the real Gorillas, not the Palm ones

Cheers
    Just be aware that coming from Datebk+ it is a HUGE step going to DB6.
    Start with the manual (125+ pages ! ) and be aware there are even new features in 6.1 which haven't made the latest manual yet.

But what do you want, CESD got all those gorilla's coding too
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user