1.    #1  
    I've been using Outlook 2000 to sync with Palm Desktop for the last year. Everything syncs perfectly (contacts, notes, tasks, etc.)

However, what other programs can I use to sync with Palm Desktop? I've been wanting to replace Outlook 2000 with a lighter, faster client, but I don't want to lose any of the synchronization features.

In other words, I'd love to be able to continue to sync all my contacts, notes, tasks, calendar entries, etc. with another lighter client. Are there any? Or perhaps a website with information on this topic?
    Ah, don't mean to sound silly, but what about the Palm Desktop?

Outlook 2000 is a "replacement" for the "Palm Desktop" really. Outlook 2000 actually syncs with the Palm, and not the "Palm Desktop". You don't need Outlook 2000 synchronization in order to do syncs with the Palm Desktop.
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
    There are web based ones, mypalm, wesync and yahoo.
    My Treo has more memory than I do.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by bnystrom
    Ah, don't mean to sound silly, but what about the Palm Desktop?

Outlook 2000 is a "replacement" for the "Palm Desktop" really. Outlook 2000 actually syncs with the Palm, and not the "Palm Desktop". You don't need Outlook 2000 synchronization in order to do syncs with the Palm Desktop.
    Yep I realize that. However, it was nice to have one program to consolidate all my mobile information (email & contacts). For example, I could address email easily to contacts that I had recently added on my Palm. If I use a separate email application then I'd have to manually add that contact and their email address to my outgoing email.

UNLESS of course, the Palm Desktop includes a functional email client. Which it may well do, since I never checked and jumped to Outlook right away. If it does, then that solves all my problems!
    In the Win32 world, light and fast in an intergrated PIM and messaging client might be mutually exclusive. Add "free" to the mix and it's non-existant.

With that said, there's not much to choose from: Outlook, Notes, Groupwise. Some of the contact-based apps might include messaging but it might be a very poor subsitute (and not well supported for Palm compatible devices).

You might very well have to go with two clients if light and fast is an overriding criteria than integrated. One possible combination is to use Outlook Express or Eudora for messaging and the Palm Desktop for PIM stuff. Using separate E-mail and PIM apps also brings along the benefit of not storing all of your eggs in one basket (if the messaging store gets trashed, your PIM data is unaffected, etc.).

The drawback in using a separate messaging app is that your Address Book isn't integrated (although there are many decent workarounds and few solutions, thanks to some third party utilities).

Since you're used to O2K, another "combination" would be to use an earlier version of Outlook-- Outlook 98. That's what I do here at home, where my primary PC is a 200 MHz Pentium with 64 MB of RAM. Any of the Office 2000 apps will be sluggish on this PC but its predecessor, the 97 Office suite, works quite nicely. And Outlook 98 does run snappy on this lower end PC. Best thing about the OL98 installation-- you can actually install a pretty slim copy.

Now, unfortunately, Microsoft stopped giving Oulook 98 away for free (yup, just before Y2K hit, MS gave OL98 away on their web site). Other than finding a copy of Office 97, the only other way to legally obtain it is to purchase Alan Neibauer's "Running Microsoft Outlook 98" book (a link to an Amazon.com listing is here). You might be able to find it any a decent brick 'n mortar bookstore (I saw a copy at a Fry's Electronics in San Jose last week). It'll cost you about $30. The book comes with the full version of Oulook 98 on a CD-- one of the few times a MS reference book comes with a fully functional copy of a MS software.
  6.    #6  
    ProjectZero, thanks for your insightful reply. I will explore the possibility of using Outlook 98...

but with regards to the integrated Address Book problem, you said that there are workarounds and third-party utilities for this. Could you elaborate on that? Because I would be perfectly happy to use Palm Desktop + Eudora if these "workarounds" were sufficient.
    Originally posted by Curve
    ProjectZero, thanks for your insightful reply. I will explore the possibility of using Outlook 98...

but with regards to the integrated Address Book problem, you said that there are workarounds and third-party utilities for this. Could you elaborate on that? Because I would be perfectly happy to use Palm Desktop + Eudora if these "workarounds" were sufficient.
    You can use Palm Desktop as your email address book to use with any mail client. It 'seems' to integrate fairly well, but since I use only web mail I can't say how well it works in the real world.

Just right click on any contact in Palm Desktop and you have the option to send email. It will then open your default mail handler.
    The Palm Desktop ( the two or three 4.0 versions, I believe) feature to launch an E-Mail app from the Address Book section apparantly only functions if you have Outlook or Office installed (it looks like it relies on MAPI 4.0 or later). I believe the readme file that accompanies the most latest version of the 4.0 desktop elaborates on this.

The 4.0.1 version might work since it supports the forwarding of vCard stuff without the need of having Outlook or Office installed.

But then again, you have to go through the issuess of installing the 4.x Desktop (see other threads here).

The 3.x version of the Desktop that ships with the Visor does not have this feature.

Re: Workarounds/Third Party with Eudora

There's a Win32 utility called Palm2Eudora that allows you create a Eudora nickname/address book from the Palm Desktop Address Book. But it's one way (Palm Address->Eudora). Any entries you create in Eudora would have to be manually entered in the Palm Desktop.

Not surprising, there's a Win utility that takes the Eudora address book and exports it to a text-delimited file so that you can import it into the Palm Desktop. It's called Eudora2Palm.
    I don't know if this has already been mentioned. I have been using netscape communicator (4.72) to sync my email, address, datebook, etc. of my VPL. It's proven useful, and haven't had any problems. Although I have no particular problem with Outlook, but my work only support netscape and netscape email. So I installed communicator at home to maintain continuity. I am not sure if Netscape 6.0 supports this feature. Maybe. Just another non-Outlook option for you.