Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Tape is nifty. But if you slide the stylus up, the battery is quite easy to remove all by itself.
    Somewhat true, but mine's in there tight regardless. I guess if you have long fingernails you can get deep under it, but with the "ripcord" it's a lot easier overall.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Holy cow. The tape solutions are great. I am in love.

My 650 worked without a hitch for over two years, but I upgraded to a 700p in December and have swapped four more times since then trying to get a stable device. I've done more hard resets than I can count in the last six months, and these tricks would have saved my fingers a lot of wear if I had read your posts earlier.

Thanks for the help!
    My battery comes out quite easily. But, I'm sure there are variances in the fit of the battery from one Treo to the next.

As such, I'm fine with taking the battery out. No need have a stylus with a point or to always have a paper clip handy.

My work had a SprintNextel ic502s with a battery that was REALLY hard to remove. Eventually, it loosened up.

I would like to see your idea, but I can't view the image:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...9&d=1182026553

Instead, I get the error, "You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again."

I'm obviously logged in because I am posting this message. Weird.

And I can view the other 2 images.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...8&d=1182878460

and

http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...9&d=1182878472

Getting the battery cover on takes a little work but not much. I think I'll stick with the security of the cover locking into place.

Anyways, it sounds like these ideas are helping some people. So keep it up.

July 14, 2007

By the way, in another thread someone suggested removing the battery for 10 seconds to reset the device and hopefully fix the pesky ERROR 3000 message and necessity of repeat commanding that attended the problem. I removed the battery and my 755p reset and that fixed the dreaded ERROR 3000 problem. Great!

Oh, also, at first my Backupman application could not open the 755p miniSD card. Nothing would allow recognition of the miniSD card.

Anyway, I went online on my desktop to check the Backupman home page. I discovered a update that was a few months old. I downloaded the upgrade and hotsynched and then the device recognized the miniSD card, I performed a total backup and it is now performing a total backup each night per my programming. Another problem solved.

By the way, I had wondered how one could know the device was in fact a 755p as the exterior has no "755p." Well, turns out the battery cavity has a label with "755p" as well as some bar codes and other data.

Robert, Austin, Texas
    you sound like an experienced treo person. how do i get music from pc to 755
    July 16, 2007

Thanks, but I am not an experiened person. However, being a guy I historically never asked for help or read directions but just barged ahead. Often, I would bog down, fail, etc.

It then dawned on me to read directions. The computer version of that is to make generous use of the Help tab. I did that and ended up at the 755p manual online. It is an Adobe document that will pull up.

On page 188 of the 755p manual it tells you how to transfer MP3 files from you desktop to your Treo using the hotsync cable.

Check the manual and you should be up and listening in no time.

I add, I imagine the quality would be somewhat poor but you can record with the device itself as if you were recording a voice discussion or entering a voice memo into your device.

Good luck and let us know here how you fare.

Robert in Austin, Texas
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by looter View Post
    My battery comes out quite easily. But, I'm sure there are variances in the fit of the battery from one Treo to the next.

I've noticed that between the several I own, and from reading the Seidio extended battery threads it seems that there are indeed differences in tolerances in batteries as well as Treo compartments. On my personal unit it's a definite struggle to get the battery out, but others (even in this thread) have reported they can get it out easily.

Whatever the differences, I've been using the ripcord idea since I built my first one and it's made the (luckily very occasional) resets much more bearable. My preference is that Palm continue putting reset holes in their devices like any sane computer manufacturer, preferably in an area that is easily accessible - (how about right on the bottom?).

Failing that for now, we have a way to endure and make the situation a little more workable.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Wow, my wife just got a 755p and called me a few days ago from work in a panic because her Treo was "frozen" and wouldn't turn on. Naturally, I said, "open the battery cover on the back, take out your stylus, and push the reset hole." Well, after telling me emphatically that there was no such reset hole, I figured she must be blind. I mean, all Treo's have reset holes right? Or so I thought.

After I got over the initial shock I guess I don't find it to be a problem. Really, having a reset hole inside the battery cover is the problem. Once you have to bother with taking off the battery cover, it doesn't really matter anymore whether you have a reset hole or not. You've already wasted your time.

Also - and I realize this an old thread/discussion - the notion that crashes caused by 3rd party software are not Palm's fault couldn't be more ridiculous. Third party software should never cause an OS to crash. (drivers maybe, but not applications) A real OS should be able to manage a rogue application and terminate it without blowing up, end up story.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Also - and I realize this an old thread/discussion - the notion that crashes caused by 3rd party software are not Palm's fault couldn't be more ridiculous. Third party software should never cause an OS to crash. (drivers maybe, but not applications) A real OS should be able to manage a rogue application and terminate it without blowing up, end up story.
    There are a lot of "shoulds" around computing, and the PalmOS has the mixed blessing of being without protected memory but with a long history of applications written for it.

It took Microsoft years and years to build up to the stability of XP - the "BSOD" was just taken as a given for the tradeoff of being able to expand a general purpose computer. That said, every computer I've owned since about 1981 has come with a way to reset it without opening the box and yanking the power cable off the motherboard. Microsoft routinely blamed third-party developers, but they also knew without them to provide innovative applications (and steal any profitable ideas) Microsoft's OS would be much less valuable and competitive. So M$ blamed - but also planned for recovery.

Palm seems to design like an ostrich - as though somehow burying the reset hole inside a case and then eventually removing it will somehow stop the device from occasionally freezing up. It won't.

I've owned several Pocket PC devices (which seemed to freeze even more than my Palm devices despite more advanced memory management). Not a single one of them was without an easily-accessible stylus-sized reset hole right on the bottom or back of the the device.

It's a shame computers occasionally crash - it's a compounded shame when manufacturers make it a greater chore to recover from a crash.
    Excuse my ignorance but whats so hard about taking the battery out of the Treo, i can take mine out just with my fingers, is there a different 755 that has a battery that is different? because i honestly dont see the problem.
    my treo 755 has not required a manual reset in weeks, if not longer. So far, I have been very impressed with its stability.

Interesting idea, but I am not sure if there will be significant demand for this product.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but whats so hard about taking the battery out of the Treo, i can take mine out just with my fingers, is there a different 755 that has a battery that is different? because i honestly dont see the problem.
    From experience with several 755 units and from reading other threads (such as the Seidio 2100 battery one), there is a definite range of tolerances for the 755 battery and housing - from bearable to incredibly tight. It appears that you are probably one of the lucky ones with a looser housing.

If you ever get the Seidio extended battery, you'll really need a way to get the battery out easier - that baby's even tighter. Of course, it's a bit of a catch-22 as a layer of tape makes the battery even MORE tight (but the leverage in removing it for resets is worth it).
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    my treo 755 has not required a manual reset in weeks, if not longer. So far, I have been very impressed with its stability.

Interesting idea, but I am not sure if there will be significant demand for this product.
    It's just an option, and it's as free as a piece of tape. You may have a different opinion after the first time your Treo requires a manual reset at an inopportune moment.

Personally, I like to be prepared for the inevitable, and tape is plentiful where I reside.
    great idea ...why did't Palm think of it?
    300-600-650-700p-755p
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by glondark View Post
    great idea ...why did't Palm think of it?
    Palm WASN'T thinking... as evidenced by their removal of the reset hole...
    You guys think this is bad, wait until Palm does away with the battery door too, you'll have to leave your Treo in The crashed state until the battery runs down in order to reset
    garinballbarin
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Hi..

the free 'reset me' program works fine on a 755p..

Seidio's monster 3200mAh 755p battery comes with a new door that's MUCH easier to put on and take off than the stock door with the button from Hell.. plus the battery is fatter and easy to grip / remove..

eliminating the reset hole was a lame, stupid move on Palm's part.. its the same as the 'decontenting' nonsense car makers are doing lately.. for instance my 1990 Taurus had red and white segmented reflectors / lamps in each front door's armrest with a bulb behind them that lit up when you opened the door.. both as a warning to oncoming cars and to light up the ground as you're getting out at night.. my 2001 Grand Marquis LS, a far more upscale, expensive car loaded to the gills with every possible option has the same reflector lenses in all four doors' arm rests but NO bulbs behind them.. decontenting.. same nonsense as eliminating the reset hole.. the 755p is the first handheld of any kind I've ever owned with no reset hole.. utter nonsense on Palm's part and they should have their bottoms spanked in public for it.. however, if you can get to the apps launcher, reset me works..

the fat battery is expensive but its matching door much easier to deal with.. and its NOT identical to the 700p 3200mAh battery so don't try to use one of those in a 755p.. the tiny 'tabs' are different and will damage the battery compartment if you try to force one into a 755p..

Thanks
    Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    Hi..

the free 'reset me' program works fine on a 755p..
    Not if it's frozen...

Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post

eliminating the reset hole was a lame, stupid move on Palm's part.. its the same as the 'decontenting' nonsense car makers are doing lately.. for instance my 1990 Taurus had red and white segmented reflectors / lamps in each front door's armrest with a bulb behind them that lit up when you opened the door.. both as a warning to oncoming cars and to light up the ground as you're getting out at night.. my 2001 Grand Marquis LS...
    At first I thought you were comparing Palm to Ford as equally screwed up, but just reread it and it seems even Ford beats Palm at putting a little forethought into their actions at times.

Both companies continue to design what was making them money in the latter half of the 1990s - their customers are pi$$ed and/or have already left, and their finances have been reflecting that fact.

Ford (and the other US automakers) still lobby, design and market as though fuel is $1.00/gallon and everyone has good jobs - SUVs, trucks and huge cars with lousy mileage are all they know of. Palm still seems to think that usability and viewability is an afterthought and only innovates or fixes anything if the problem can rise to the attention of an influential Cnet editor and makes it to the AP wire.
    I know this is an old thread, but I was re-reading it and something occurred to me:

Older Treos and Palms HAD to have a reset button. Taking the battery out wasn't an option because doing so would wipe your memory. With the advent of NVFS, though, removing the battery is ok. I suspect if Palm could have used flash ROM in the first Palm Pilot, it wouldn't have had a reset hole either.

That said, I wish the thing had a reset hole, accessable without removing the back, too. It's just more convenient. But I'm sure leaving it out saves Palm a little bit of money on each unit.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I was re-reading it and something occurred to me:

Older Treos and Palms HAD to have a reset button. Taking the battery out wasn't an option because doing so would wipe your memory.
    Not true, Palms have had capacitors in them since day one to preserve data during battery replacement. AND, they had reset holes.

Remember - they used to use AAA batteries for power, yet replacing them did not wipe the data (unless you were VERY sloooow).
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123