Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I agree. It's not Palms fault that your neato eye candy wrapper for another third party app that was poorly written crashes the hardware. If you get a Palm device and it crashes with only OEM Palm software on it, then you have an actual complaint against Palm but the moment that you throw third party software on it, the responsibility lies in the hands of the people who wrote the third party app.
    Just a comment - I actually don't find the battery difficult to remove at all. There's a space on the left hand side of the battery that makes it easy (for me) to get out. What I find hellaciously difficult is removing the bleeping cover!!! What the heck? Why didn't they just keep it the same as the 650?
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by qbyte View Post
    I agree. It's not Palms fault that your neato eye candy wrapper for another third party app that was poorly written crashes the hardware.

Again, it doesn't really matter whose "fault" it is that computers crash
    with software installed that didn't ship with the device. Not sure what you mean by "neato eye candy wrapper," but some people use Pocket Quicken and other applications that extend the use of their Treo just as people install Quicken onto a PC to extend the use of Windows beyond that nifty solitaire game you paid $1300.00 to play. I've worked on enough computers to see the BSOD without any third-party software installed to "blame."

Palm Treos and Windows PCs and even Macs lock up once in a while - it's the nature of the "general purpose computer" beast. Just as occasionally you can be doing your best to drive your car safely and it can break down or be hit while you are sitting at a light. Only a dummy would drive around without a seatbelt because their morning coffee gave them special powers to somehow avoid the fate that "just happens" occasionally - EVEN through no "fault" of their own.

So, for those who wanted an innovative improvement on a lousy design - I offered the battery ripcord option. If you want to use your 755 au natural - then by all means please do.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    hate to steal a thread but why can't I view his ripcord jpg on my treo? It downloads in another window but then afterwards gives me a red x in the box.
    after you save the pic, use filez to rename the file extension from "jpeg" to jpg
    HTC Touch Pro
    I'm not sure how to save the file in his post. Also it seems weird that you need special software (filez) to view a jpg. Shouldn't we post thing so a stock treo canview them? I click on it and it won't open. Seems odd.
    the treo 600 had a non removable battery, but if I remember right, it did have a place to reset it
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Now if you can figure out an easy way to open the battery door, THAT will be an invention worth a patent.
    Getting it off isn't a problem for me, its getting it back on that is the problem.

Seriously did Palm think the 755p wouldn't crash anymore?
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    Getting it off isn't a problem for me, its getting it back on that is the problem.

Seriously did Palm think the 755p wouldn't crash anymore?
    Don't worry, it will be a feature again in the next revision.
    What will be a feature in the next edition?
    Resets... or the return of the reset hole?

"Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    reset hole...of course!
    Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Palm Treo 600 -> Palm Treo 650 -> Palm Treo 700p -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Treo 800w -> Palm Centro ->Palm Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by mitche8359 View Post
    Yes I know what a claw hammer looks like but well I mean, it looks like you dropped the treo in some gross burgundy colored paint or something. I really hope it comes off for you.
    Hey! I dropped mine in the same paint! I can't get it off for the life of me. Maybe a couple of whacks with the clawhammer?
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Gallo View Post
    Hey! I dropped mine in the same paint! I can't get it off for the life of me. Maybe a couple of whacks with the clawhammer?
    If it's anything like the ill-fated coating that Palm used on the Zire 72 series, it ought to start peeling off on it's own without any intentional user interaction. It's a "feature."
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Now if you can figure out an easy way to open the battery door, THAT will be an invention worth a patent.

Please see instructions and pictures for the new Patent-Pending Treo 755 "Button-Fudger" appended to my original post today.

Thank you for your patronage. Please visit your local "Scotch Tape Boutique" for all your Treo 755 accessory and repair needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbyte View Post
    I agree. It's not Palms fault that your neato eye candy wrapper for another third party app that was poorly written crashes the hardware. If you get a Palm device and it crashes with only OEM Palm software on it, then you have an actual complaint against Palm but the moment that you throw third party software on it, the responsibility lies in the hands of the people who wrote the third party app.
    If we aren't meant to use any applications that weren't pre-installed on the Treo at the factory, then why the #@!$ did they put a Downloads app in the ROM that you can't even remove? Same with Get Nuance Voice Control and Get Good??

I use TomTom and a GroupWise email client call NotifyLink and I frequently get dbCache error from both of them so I reset on a regular basis. Thankfully ZLauncher has a soft reset option in the menu so I don't have to pop the stupid battery just to check my email but there are times that it has locked up tight enough that I cannot even get to the ZLauncher menu, usually while I'm on the phone in the middle of a call. Now I always use a headset when I'm driving and talking on the phone so I can keep my hands on the wheel. It was bad enough having to grab my phone, yank the stylus and push the reset button through the hole in my battery cover (thanks Seidio) while I was driving through traffic but now I have to try to get the battery cover off and pull the battery while I'm driving??? What a pain!
    Does the battery compartment allow for small slit in the battery cover (use a dremmel cutoff wheel plunged sideways) where you could slide down a thin sheet of plastic to break the conductivity of the metal contacts for a moment?. (I use the reset hole with drilled batt cover on my app laiden 650 at least a 1-3 times per month and will miss having the button.)
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itsyvonne View Post
    Just a comment - I actually don't find the battery difficult to remove at all. There's a space on the left hand side of the battery that makes it easy (for me) to get out.
    If the stylus isn't in the holster on the phone, my battery just comes out with lightest touch to the battery on that little cutout. When the stylus is in there, though, can't quite get a grip on the battery.
    Tape is nifty. But if you slide the stylus up, the battery is quite easy to remove all by itself.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    My 680 has eGrips and a side benefit is the battery cover is easy to remove. I have no problem with teh battery either, though the tape is a genius, simple, cheap fix. It is something that Apple would do, if they let you swap the battery that is.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by ventnor1 View Post
    Does the battery compartment allow for small slit in the battery cover (use a dremmel cutoff wheel plunged sideways) where you could slide down a thin sheet of plastic to break the conductivity of the metal contacts for a moment?. (I use the reset hole with drilled batt cover on my app laiden 650 at least a 1-3 times per month and will miss having the button.)
    I thought of that too, but those metal connectors are tightly spring-loaded against the battery. Even if possible, it would put unexpected torque against the side of those springy connectors and it wouldn't take long to break them (and hence render the Treo bricked).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast