1.    #1  
    I am not sure what happend or how, but my 755 started going nuts yesterday. At first started to reset randomly. Then started getting long 700p-like lags between apps. I thought it might be the beta version of RingCare since I have been having some problems getting it to work right. Deleted ringcare but didnt help. Others have had problems with Dial by photo so deleted that. Still getting resets. A few times, locked up on the Palm screen and had to pull out the battery.

Then I noticed that it would ALWAYS reset if I hit accessed the Calandar app either from the hard button or from the launcher screen. Also started to get resets many times (but not all) when I went to Preferences. Tried restoring from hotsync and card back up. Random resets stopped it seemed but still would reset whenever the Palm calander app was pressed. I even deleted all the databases I could and still would happen. [I noted in a thread that some others had a problem with the Preferences causing a reset and that deleting certain files helped. Unfortunatly, I did not have any of those files on my treo]

So I did a hard reset. Doing this stopped the preference button from triggering a reset, but the Calandar app still did.

Sooo.... called sprint and asked for Tech support. Although I was on hold for almost 10 min., I actually got someone that knew what she was doing and didnt treat me like a 12yo. I told her I did a hard reset, so she said would need to reprogram the phone. Walked me through the steps (had to have her call me back on another phone of course), including the MSL lock (yes I kept the number!) and, low and behold, it seems to have solved the problem.

Now the scary part, adding my contacts and 3rd party apps. Well, I have done all of that now. Everything back on except RingCare and things are working fine.

Still have no idea what was the culpret. I could see RingCare causing some problems but not with the Calandar app. I also had almost 4 megs of Versamail attachments when the resetting and lagging started, but deleting those didnt solve the problem either.

Very odd. Could there have been something that a third party app could have done to the phone that would have survived a hard reset?

Anyway, the Sprint tech was certainly not stumped by this problem and she had me up and running as fast as could be expected. Didnt seem she had to look anything up at all, must have done a lot of reprogramming!

In the end, felt real good about Sprint Tech Support for my 755, but a bit worried about my treo since I have no idea what happend or what could cause it again.

FUNNY BIT

At one point, I said, "At least its not a 700p MR issue" to which she responded. "Oh Gosh, don't get me started! Having those calls constantly"
    I never install two new apps at once. Always do one at a time and test it to see if it works before installing more apps.

Al
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    had the same problem with my 755p.

installed an app and had the never ending cycle of resets, but after a call to Palm tech support we figured it out. older apps, setting and stuff from previous treo's in backup folder sometimes cause software conflicts.

best way is always a clean install of new apps......one at a time.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    When people speak of 3rd party apps that cause these problems, it'd be nice to mention the particular app responsible. It'd be more helpful to others.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    I am not sure what happend or how, but my 755 started going nuts yesterday. At first started to reset randomly. Then started getting long 700p-like lags between apps. I thought it might be the beta version of RingCare since I have been having some problems getting it to work right. Deleted ringcare but didnt help. Others have had problems with Dial by photo so deleted that. Still getting resets. A few times, locked up on the Palm screen and had to pull out the battery.

Then I noticed that it would ALWAYS reset if I hit accessed the Calandar app either from the hard button or from the launcher screen. Also started to get resets many times (but not all) when I went to Preferences. Tried restoring from hotsync and card back up. Random resets stopped it seemed but still would reset whenever the Palm calander app was pressed. I even deleted all the databases I could and still would happen. [I noted in a thread that some others had a problem with the Preferences causing a reset and that deleting certain files helped. Unfortunatly, I did not have any of those files on my treo]

So I did a hard reset. Doing this stopped the preference button from triggering a reset, but the Calandar app still did.

Sooo.... called sprint and asked for Tech support. Although I was on hold for almost 10 min., I actually got someone that knew what she was doing and didnt treat me like a 12yo. I told her I did a hard reset, so she said would need to reprogram the phone. Walked me through the steps (had to have her call me back on another phone of course), including the MSL lock (yes I kept the number!) and, low and behold, it seems to have solved the problem.

Now the scary part, adding my contacts and 3rd party apps. Well, I have done all of that now. Everything back on except RingCare and things are working fine.

Still have no idea what was the culpret. I could see RingCare causing some problems but not with the Calandar app. I also had almost 4 megs of Versamail attachments when the resetting and lagging started, but deleting those didnt solve the problem either.

Very odd. Could there have been something that a third party app could have done to the phone that would have survived a hard reset?

Anyway, the Sprint tech was certainly not stumped by this problem and she had me up and running as fast as could be expected. Didnt seem she had to look anything up at all, must have done a lot of reprogramming!

In the end, felt real good about Sprint Tech Support for my 755, but a bit worried about my treo since I have no idea what happend or what could cause it again.

FUNNY BIT

At one point, I said, "At least its not a 700p MR issue" to which she responded. "Oh Gosh, don't get me started! Having those calls constantly"
    how do you delete the versamail attachment files?
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    I never install two new apps at once. Always do one at a time and test it to see if it works before installing more apps.

Al
    My test period is usually during the trial period of an app. I look for two things during this trial period, one being if the app is what I am looking for and the other is if it seems compatible and not something that might be buggy.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by comedytreogirl View Post
    how do you delete the versamail attachment files?
    Deleting your email account and re-upping the same account dumps all attatchments. Unfortunitely versamail doesn't really delete your attatchments when you delete them. I do this once every two or three months and with all the email I get with attatchments I end up recovering 2 to 3mb's back.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Good idea, at least in theory. Though in practice some problems and conflicts don't happen immediately - over a period of a week or so it gets a little fuzzy about what's creating a problem. A little program called ResetEmu has saved my **** many times.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  9.    #9  
    Well, I guess I should have made it clear that I had just not fallen off of the Palm Turnip Truck

1. Not only did i do a totally clean install when I got the 755, I didnt even use the same computer that my 650 sync was on. No old folders, backups, settings or anything brought over. I did beam my contacts and a few small apps (like KBLightsOff) over to the 755, but all of those and the 755 as a whole worked fine until the other day. Apps like Agendus, BackupBuddy, TakePhone, 2day, etc all installed fresh and new from the respective companies websites -- was a good time to get the most recent versions anyway.

2. When I delete the Mail attachments and data bases, I use FileZ.

3. I obviously also only add one app at a time and make sure its working before doing something else. Everything was working fine until the resets started. I had even had RingCare on for several days with no reset issue, but was having problems with getting it to work just right. Now I DID just download the latest beta version the day the resets started (although they did not start until the afternoon and the download was in the morning), so that was my first suspect. However, deleting RingCare did not solve the problem and, in any case, the problem was mostly with the stock Calendar program which RingCare shouldnt touch. Also no reports of others having similar problems due to RingCare.

4. I then started deleting other apps which some people have said caused resets in the past, such as DBP and also some databases and files might have been possibilities (like the calendar db), but nothing made a difference. Then just started deleting all third party apps, still resets. Tried hotsyncing with desktop overwriting handheld since I had not done that for several days and tried a saved earlier backup from my card all hoping to get back to a state before the problem, no luck.

5. ##377 was no help, it just kept reporting what was the first reset around noon (blamed "phone" I think my first reset happend when a call came in) not any of the subesqent ones that went on all afternoon and evening

6. Most importantly, the problem remained after several HARD resets and took place when absolutly nothing was on the phone but the factory apps and was only solved after a total reprogramming of the phone. I could be wrong, but I dont think a third-party app can leave anything on that would survive a hard reset.

In any case, there is no way of telling if ANY app caused the problem, let alone which app it could have been if it was. Taking a look at a few of the other threads, it looks like some others have had some mysterious reset problems after several weeks of stability making me concerned that the problem is not in any third party app, but something in the 755 itself that just takes a while to manifest.

So any experts on there as to if it is possible an app could have corrupted something that survives a hard reset? I didnt ask the sprint tech about it, but she sure did not seemed surprised at all about what I told her, didnt have me do any checking of things or diagnostics, just went straight to the reprogramming like she has seen this before.

Houston....do we have a problem????
    Last edited by midmofan; 06/16/2007 at 11:54 PM.
    midmofan, what did reprogramming the phone entail? Do you remember the hash code for it?
    Well, I guess I should have made it clear that I had just not fallen off of the Palm Turnip Truck

2. When I delete the Mail attachments and data bases, I use FileZ.
    That is the best way IMO. I just started using FileZ for that task three months ago. Comedytreogirl didn't seem to have FileZ listed in her signature of apps, so my prior advice with deleting and resetting up her versamail account seemed an easy fix that worked for me before FileZ.
    at&t iPhone3G
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by SE5907 View Post
    midmofan, what did reprogramming the phone entail? Do you remember the hash code for it?
    The tech had me plug in some codes from the dial pad which got me to the MSL code unlock screen. She gave me the unlock code, had me plug a few more numbers in the dial pad and then got to a screen where i needed to put in my phone number a couple of times.

I had written it all down on a scrap piece of cardboard...and my wife threw it away!!!!!! DO remember my MSL code though.
    The tech had me plug in some codes from the dial pad which got me to the MSL code unlock screen. She gave me the unlock code, had me plug a few more numbers in the dial pad and then got to a screen where i needed to put in my phone number a couple of times.

I had written it all down on a scrap piece of cardboard...and my wife threw it away!!!!!! DO remember my MSL code though.
    Dang! Those are exactly the codes I was looking for! Oh well, guess I shouldn't have lost mine too.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by SE5907 View Post
    Dang! Those are exactly the codes I was looking for! Oh well, guess I shouldn't have lost mine too.
    Yeah, I even dug through the trash looking for it, but no luck
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Do you have the Voice Control application installed? If so, try deleting that. I had problems with that that went away when I deleted the application. First I noticed lags when switching, then later a "Updating databases" box popped up every time I changed applications. Deleting Voice Command fixed the problem. I wonder if it has anything to do with a growing number of users.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker911 View Post
    Do you have the Voice Control application installed? If so, try deleting that. I had problems with that that went away when I deleted the application. First I noticed lags when switching, then later a "Updating databases" box popped up every time I changed applications. Deleting Voice Command fixed the problem. I wonder if it has anything to do with a growing number of users.
    Well, no I did not have the Voice Control application installed, but that doesnt matter as there are no applications that i could have deleted that would have solved the problem. A hard reset deletes everything but what comes with it originally and that did not solve it.
    on the treo mailing list I'm on volume care was found to be the culprit for a few members
    Quote Originally Posted by ntice18 View Post
    on the treo mailing list I'm on volume care was found to be the culprit for a few members
    wow . im really suprised at that . i have been doing a clean install and i have been reinstalling applications back one at a time .
    check out my results on this board

what mailing list are you on?
    Last edited by comedytreogirl; 07/20/2007 at 08:16 AM.
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card