Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All,

I have had the opportunity to upgrade TWO Treo 700p with the MR. Both were upgraded with the SD card method. Each phone was backed up with Resco Backup and each phone was wiped out with a hard reset and leaving the battery our for about 5 minutes. My results were interesting. Both phones had a software Revision A and a date fo December, 2006.

Phone #1 was upgraded with the MR and went successfully and was restored with Resco. From the outset I began to have problems with Bluetooth like I have never had before. Bluetooth was suddenly recognizing the headset and the headset light indicated pairing and the screen icon indicated the same BUT all sound came from the phone headset. I could engage the headset by holding down on the BT headset button and it would start to pick up sound. Once I hung up the call the BT headset would disengage again even though indicating pairing. When I double tapped on the BT headset button the previous call would not be dialed. If the phone were alowed to have the screen dim, the BT connectivity with the headset would show disconnect indicated by flashing green but the phone would stil show connection. I seemed to have NO problems with Blazer or other issues.

Phone #2 was upgraded with the MR and went successfully and was NOT restored with Resco but had software reinstalled one by one in a clean install. This process took some time BUT there were no bluetooth issues with the phone and it functioned correctly. When the screen went dim the connection remained and has remaind so linked for over 36 hours without a drop.

Seeing this, I did a hard reset on Phone #1 and did a clean install of all applications like Phone #2. Interestingly, ALL BT problems went away. I saved this work as a BackUp with Resco and again hard reset the phone. This time, I restored using the Backup from the initial restore post application of the MR. The only difference was that I did a selective restore and did not restore any of the BT or Blazer files. When the restore completed, there was full BT functionality and the T700 appeared to behave as it should. I saved this Backup as well, and just for fun, did another hard reset and restored the original Backup post application of the MR. As before the BT problems emerged and stayed.

The point in all this is that I have now restored the Backup from the clean install and have had about 120 hours of BT connectivity without an interruption. When I applied the retore of the Backup from the modified restore without BT or Blazer, I am now at about 110 hours with no BT connectivity drop. So I was wondering about those people who had failed instillations and if these old files caused corruption. To me, after reading these forums it appears that there are several types of MR scenarios:

1. Those who used the HotSync method with a hard reset treo

2. Those who used the Hotsync method with a treo without a hard reset

3. Those who used the SD method with a treo with a hard reset
    a. Those who restored with HotSync
    b. Those who restored with a SD card method such as Resco
    c. Those who did a clean install from scratch
    4. Those who used the HotSyn method, failed, then used the SD method
    a. Those who restored with HotSync
    b. Those who restored with a SD card method such as Resco
    c. Those who did a clean install from scratch
    I am curious what the success rate with each of these methods were in the real life testing that you have done. I am now convinced that many of these probllems that people are having here are due to some corruption by things carried over with a restore. I notced one thread that suggested this very thing with Blazer to correct the issues of delay.

While my huge series of two phones clearly does not make for scientific study, perhaps other members to contribute their feelings on this issue. Any thoughts from the membership?

Regards,

Jim
    Although it is not required in the instructions and it is a pain, I think that a clean install after an update is best. Your experiments seem to prove this. I have Vzw and if they ever release an update and I decide to install it, I will take the time to do a clean re-install. Thanks for your work.
    I did a hard reset, installed via SD with no problems and restored from SD using NVBackup, so far I have little problem sans a few post MR minor glitches described elsewhere.

I have a limited number of programs loaded on my Treo and did not have significant problems with resets prior to the MR nor after. When I install a new one I backup first and if there is problem I usually remove it, hard reset and restore the image prior to the program.

I have learned over the years to let go of programs that cause ill-effects rather than find a "work-around" and I do not use any hacks either.

Having said that, I fully agree with gapost, the best strategy here is a clean install after the MR.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Given the extent of this update I think Palm should have recommended a clean install after hard reset in their instructions. I've had a very good post MR experience for the past two weeks now doing the hard reset -> battery out for 5 -> SD update method.

After reading all of the posts about the 700p acting up for people who tried to hotsync their 650 data it became clear to me that there are preferences/files in previous versions of the OS that can get copied over during hotsyncs or restores capable of affecting the stability and functionality of the phone. Neat experiment though, hopefully it can help some of those here experiencing such issues.
    I have also thought serious about a clean install, which equals to a full day. Wow. At least I have all of my registration codes and a folder on the laptop with tons of applications.

Ben
    Using the usb cable IS NOT a hotsync install. the image is sent through the cable, but it is not hotsynced over. I upgrade 20+ Treos at work using this method. One out of all of them took 3 tries to accomplish. Because his was the only one without an sd card. There was no hotsync involved with any of the installs. The cable was used, that was it. The issues are caused by an sd card not being present, not by using the cable method.
    Matty
    If you don't mind, which specific BT files did you not restore with the selective restore?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    FWIW I used the SD card method after a hard reset and installed everything back on the device one or two apps. at a time from scratch. It was a lot of work but I have has no issues (except the touch tone sound in alerts).

I was operating under the theory that I probably had junk accumlated over time in the memory and it was time for a good cleaning anyway so I just started from scratch.
    Last edited by Rob_T; 06/17/2007 at 12:14 PM.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    If you don't mind, which specific BT files did you not restore with the selective restore?
    The files that I did not restore were the following:

BlueTooth Device Cache
    BlueTooth Prefs Backup
    BlueTooth Trusted Devices

The Blazer files that I did not back up were:

Blazer BF-Hiistory
    Blazer Bookmarks
    Blazer Cache History
    Blazer Cookies
    Blazer Field Autofill
    Blazer Find Autofill
    Blazer URL Autofill

I hope these help you to troubleshoot. Likely there are many other device specific permutatiions that cannot be accounted for here. In another thread a member was trying to relate failure to the date of the software version and the revision. It is why I included it in my post. My bet is that there is a large amount of complexity that is different both intracarrier and intercarrier that may have accounted for the behavior that we are seeing. Why would some users with little installed and a good MR update have so many problems while others with tons of apps installed have none? It has to be someithing with the phone itself.

Regards,

Jim
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_T View Post
    FWIW I used the SC card method after a hard reset and installed everything back on the device one or two apps. at a time from scratch. It was a lot of work but I have has no issues (except the touch tone sound in alerts).

I was operating under the theory that I probably had junk accumlated over time in the memory and it was time for a good cleaning anyway so I just started from scratch.

Rob,

I wonder how many of us are closet "software collectors" who try and like software and then never return to it again. I can honestly say before this crowd that I am a software addict particularly of medical software. I wish it were not so. Hence lots of problems.

Regards,

Jim
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I also had two 700ps to update.

One was clean I had reset it for other reasons, one was the phone I use all the time.

I did both upgrades from the sd card and both phones went smooth. No problems on either.

I upgraded all the main software ( gmaps etc, kimona etc ).

I re-synched mine with Palm Desktop on OSX.

My phone took about 45 minutes to do, the clean phone took about 20 minutes.

Both phones are doing fine. I love the update. I hope Palm gets it back out soon for other people.

Edited to add:
    I collect and test lots of software but usually dump anything that doesn't get used or doesn't work well.
    Last edited by ljcobb; 06/16/2007 at 04:57 PM. Reason: add more...
    Another scenario:

Those that updated via SD card without a hard reset or removing the battery and restoring via Resco...be me.

Not saying it was wise to do so but I have had perfect BT experience and my device has been rock solid with some minor glitches already mentioned in other threads that I can live with.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I have also thought serious about a clean install, which equals to a full day. Wow. At least I have all of my registration codes and a folder on the laptop with tons of applications.

Ben
    Same here...I keep all prc. and reg codes in a folder on my laptop. I can get-r-done in way less than a day(i.e. in 2 hours via 30 apps) if need be. Some of you guys got like 50 apps plus...crazy, and we wonder why this small device can have issues when pushing it to the limit.
    at&t iPhone3G
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Another scenario:

Those that updated via SD card without a hard reset or removing the battery and restoring via Resco...be me.

Not saying it was wise to do so but I have had perfect BT experience and my device has been rock solid with some minor glitches already mentioned in other threads that I can live with.
    KStewart you are a brave soul and very lucky. I am glad that someone had a good experience without hard reset or all the other contortions the rest have made.

Regards,

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCJ View Post
    KStewart you are a brave soul and very lucky. I am glad that someone had a good experience without hard reset or all the other contortions the rest have made.

Regards,

Jim
    If I had to do it again, I would do a hard reset...lol. Could you believe I didn't do the hard reset because I was in such a hury that day and I just winged the update. Yeah, I said it...I winged a very important update to a problematic device. My mind was on five different things at work and I figured I would dive in and let the phone update while I was occupied with other tasks. I honestly didn't even care...I was looking for any reason to dump my 700 and see if I could get a free 755p(i.e. the only way I would have one since I would never pay for it). The next Treo I will actually spend money on will be the Mesiah of Treo's we are waiting for
    at&t iPhone3G
    Great work!!!
    The only problem I was having after MR and full restore was that my BT would randomly disconnect and reconnect, or disconnect and not reconnect until I either made a call, received a call, or manually forced a reconnect by pressing the button on the headset.
    I hard reset my 700P, then did a selective restore of all files minus the 3 bluetooth files. I have not had a random BT disconnect since doing this. Granted, it has only been 15 mins since doing so, but the disconnects would happen within the first couple of mins of being paired.
    I'll report back in a day or two on how the connection is.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Well, called myself from the home phone, answered on the Treo, hung up from the home phone and didn't touch the Treo. About 30 seconds after Treo turned the screen off the BT disconnected.
    Checked voicemail and Treo reconnected with headset. Using Plantronics 320 and it just doesn't want to stay connected.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Did some further testing. After the first disconnect, and manually reconnecting by pushing the headset button, it now does not disconnect after the screen is turned off, whether making a call or receiving a call beforehand. Very strange behavior.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    I've been through several firmware updates on my smartphones (Mostly Treos). I have always treated these like reformatting a hard drive and reinstalling or upgrading the OS on a computer. There are usually bug fixes and tweaks on the update that I am very cautious of restoring old files or software - tempting it may be due to speed of restore. Granted reintalling software may be tedious, clean installs have been the most trouble free as I've read from forums over and over again. So as in the 700P MR, do a clean isntall. A good time to cleanup old apps you don't use.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I did the MR install via hotsync with no hard reset and no backup. A few apps tried to restore themselves from the hotsync backup I did right before the MR install but they didn't work correctly (ptunes, etc). A clean install got them working right away. I've had no problems since the upgrade, well, at least no problems that aren't included as "features" i.e. virtually non-existent ringer volume.

Why would you ever try to restore from a backup after the MR install? I'd want to carry over the absolute minimum number of files, settings and whatnot from the pre-MR state.

Has the countdown to MR2 started yet?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast