Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I am thinking about upgrading from a Treo 650 to a 755P, however I have some questions.

1) I have the DUN Hack and it is currently named "PhoneInterfaceLibrary_tether_hack.prc"-
    a) do I have to re-name it before I put it in my treo?
    b) If I were to do a Hard reset- does it go back to the old file or is the hack "permanent"
    c) How do we know the hack works- I mean, if I try to dun from my computer, it sounds like the rest is automatic. Is it the case where it will connect without the hack and then I will be charged "casual" data or is it that it won't even connect without using a PAM plan or with the hack?

2) Is connecting over the bluetooth any faster (percieved speed) with the EVDO over the Treo 650? It looks that the bottleneck would be the bluetooth speed, however if the treo 650's bottleneck was the non-evdo network, then I would think that the connection speed would be the true 115kbps bluetooth speed.

I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, however I've been reading this forum and doing searches and I haven't found these answers. Thanks to all in advance as in the past, you have been a very helpful group.

Plexboy
    i haven't figured out all of quesiton 1 yet...i'm waiting to make sure no one gets caught with the hack for a month or so, but I doubt it would still be there after a hard reset. And supposedly, the phone just communicates with the Treo, but I haven't been able to apply the patch yet as I just got my miniSD card today. Perhaps Sprint did get smart, I dunno...

Anybody else wanna chime in on this, too.
    As for question 2, the Treo 650 doesn't have an EVDO radio, so EVDO speeds aren't possible....but you prolly would get ~100+kbps with a laptop & 650. With a 755 & laptop tethered, you could realistically download at 700+kbps...give or take depending on exact location. The problem with just the 755 by itself is that Blazer & the Treo's slow processor equates to slow rendering. Tethering is a huge jump in real-time browsing
  4.    #4  
    Has anyone out there been using the hack on a 755p and gotten your bill? any charges?

did you have to change the name of the file on your treo?
  5.    #5  
    Has anyone out there been using the hack on a 755p and gotten your bill? any charges?

did you have to change the name of the file on your treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by plexboy View Post
    Hi all,

I am thinking about upgrading from a Treo 650 to a 755P, however I have some questions.

1) I have the DUN Hack and it is currently named "PhoneInterfaceLibrary_tether_hack.prc"-
    a) do I have to re-name it before I put it in my treo?
    b) If I were to do a Hard reset- does it go back to the old file or is the hack "permanent"
    c) How do we know the hack works- I mean, if I try to dun from my computer, it sounds like the rest is automatic. Is it the case where it will connect without the hack and then I will be charged "casual" data or is it that it won't even connect without using a PAM plan or with the hack?

2) Is connecting over the bluetooth any faster (percieved speed) with the EVDO over the Treo 650? It looks that the bottleneck would be the bluetooth speed, however if the treo 650's bottleneck was the non-evdo network, then I would think that the connection speed would be the true 115kbps bluetooth speed.

I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, however I've been reading this forum and doing searches and I haven't found these answers. Thanks to all in advance as in the past, you have been a very helpful group.

Plexboy

1) a. You can if you want it doesnt matter.
    b. After a hard reset you have to reinstall it. Soft resets are fine
    c. It should work if you do it right, but if not you will get charged tethering data with a cap at like $60 or so. ( I hope you are using resco explorer to copy it into the ram not just installed the file to your memory card and doing nothing.)

2) Yes BT is limiting on the EVDO, you will get about 500kbps max with BT because of the BT limitations, when tethering using USB cable you get about double that.

I have been using this on the 700p for a while and the 755p since the day I have had it, works fine. The only issue that I had on both the 700p and 755p is after tethering with BT when going to use the internet again on the treo you get a error saying data is not available in your area just try again and it connect on the second time. But I only get that error the first time I try to use the internet on the treo after I have been tethering.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks everybody so far!

So, when installing the hack, its just that it needs to be in DEVICE RAM and not just the external card....

Does the Hack REPLACE a file or does it just reside in Ram along with all the other stock files and Overide the existing DUN program when run?
    Quote Originally Posted by plexboy View Post
    Thanks everybody so far!

So, when installing the hack, its just that it needs to be in DEVICE RAM and not just the external card....

Does the Hack REPLACE a file or does it just reside in Ram along with all the other stock files and Overide the existing DUN program when run?
    Basically you install resco exp onto your 755p, you installed the phone hack to your SD memory card. You open up resco and find the phone hack on the SD card select it then hit copy to then select RAM (0).

THe phone hack should be found under the follow folder. Card>>Palm>>Launcher.

After you copy to the RAM take the battery out of your phone and put it back in then it will be ready to use.
    OMFG...I got DUN to work for about 10 seconds, and it was really slow... but it was awesome!!!! Wasn't expecting much being out in the boonies where my girlfriend lives. Hopefully connection will stay stronger for longer once I move back toward town.

But I didn't think I was gonna be able to do it at all. . . tried with 650 & bt dongle, but couldn't ever get it to work.

I'm so friggin' psyched right now, YO!
    Can anyone help with using the 755 as a modem on a Mac? I tried the workaround, and it does not replace the file...
    Quote Originally Posted by revolutionaryrob View Post
    Can anyone help with using the 755 as a modem on a Mac? I tried the workaround, and it does not replace the file...
    Check your private messages.
    What does the DUN hack do? Boost speeds?
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Can anyone direct me to the hack and the instructions, pls. I am a Mac user.
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Can anyone confirm the DUN BT Hack working ok with MR 1.10? Just wondering before I use the PRC and break the phone
    Quote Originally Posted by jweis View Post
    Can anyone direct me to the hack and the instructions, pls. I am a Mac user.
    Thanks
    Check your PM.

If your a mac user and need help just PM me and at most it should be a few days before I get back to you.
    I have tried using the DUN hack mentioned on this forum and used the instructions from the Internet on Air site, but when I use Resco Explorer to try and copy the hack file over, I keep getting an error message: Launch error: No associated application. I have copied the file over anyways, but when I remove the battery and re-install it again I still don't get the DUN feature, any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! EP
    I installed the DUN hack with Resco Explorer 2007 and it worked great over bluetooth for mac. a couple of things about it though, it wouldn't connect unless my screen was on, and the connection would cut out after anywhere between 5-10 minutes, forcing me to reconnect all the time. it did work though! Since then I have found a much better solution. Since my fabulous success with mobile-stream's USB card-reader software (my Transcend class 4 4GB SDHC gets stellar read/write times with both my Mac and my PC), I decided to try their USB modem software. This replaces the internal DUN files with their proprietary software. It takes some setting up but the instructions are very clear. Your Mac or PC now recognizes your Treo as a separate port and the connection is VERY stable. You can work in background mode as well. I was getting fast connection speeds over bluetooth however USB is way faster. I, unfortunately, still using a G4 powerbook with USB 1.1, was limited by that, but USB 2.0 users will be surfing on EVDO speeds with this. mobile-stream gave me a 30% discount on USB modem because I was an existing cardreader user. just email them for the code.
    the hack instructions are at :

http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-dun/
    Todd Sinclair
    http://toddlorensinclair.com

"Zooey? Yeah... in my dreams!"

Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    What does the DUN hack do? Boost speeds?
    It allows you to use your phone as a modem with out a PAM plan, and no it does nothing for your speed.

Quote Originally Posted by cue79 View Post
    Can anyone confirm the DUN BT Hack working ok with MR 1.10? Just wondering before I use the PRC and break the phone
    It works fine on both 755p and 700p post MR. I have it working on both and still no charges.
    I installed this hack several months ago. I used it casually a few times over the USB cable. Speed wasn't bad, not great but better than nothing. The problem I had was that the connection would drop on occasion and Windows wouldn't recognize that the connection had dropped. If I manually close the dialup connection in Windows then tried to connect again, it would tell me that the port was in use or some other garbage. I tried all kinds of stopping services, resetting treo, un-plugging and re-plugging treo, etc, etc, etc and nothing worked. Only solution was to reboot the laptop.

For my purposes that hassle wasn't worth it. I went back to the Sprint store and bought a laptop card. $50/month for unlimited data. If it generates just 1 more billable hour over the course of the month it's paid for.

YMMV of course. I make my living programming websites which really requires a reliable internet connection. With the laptop card I can get work done just about anywhere and even be on the phone with a client at the same time. For me it's money well spent.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast