Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Everyone still having issues with the plantronics 510. I just got a base for free that allows use of the headset with landlines. It is also the best headset for my 650 and hoped that it would stay that way with the 700p and 755p.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bob View Post
    Samsung wep200 here. No problems, no complaints. No bluetooth issues for me. However, I was sold by its size.
    I'm not a fan of BT headsets as wearing it around when your not in your car or your not actively talking into it kinda makes you look like a tool(no offense to anyone who believes otherwise). So having one that I can take out and put in my pocket when not in use was a must for me.

However, it may be the most counterfeited headset out there so do your research before buying one.
    Ordered one from Amazon for $42. I love the size of it. I'm with you. I want a headset that is as discrete as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    No joy with my Sony Ericsson "Akono" HBH-608. Love the look but get constant popping static around the house....interference with wireless network perhaps???
    Call them up they might replace it for you. I have tried alot of headsets and the sony ericsson ones I have had always were really good and clear even up to 25-30 feet, except with the 700P where I couldnt get to work good at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnauman View Post
    Call them up they might replace it for you. I have tried alot of headsets and the sony ericsson ones I have had always were really good and clear even up to 25-30 feet, except with the 700P where I couldnt get to work good at all.
    Unfortunately, it is long out of warranty. I bought it a couple years ago when searching for the perfect 650 headset. I don't recall so much popping then but I do seem to recall that it was slower to respond to a call...which is why it ended up on a shelf and I went back to using the OEM Treo headset.
    Testing two new (to me) headsets.

Testing a Plantronics 640 and a Motorola HS850 based on their positive reviews on Amazon and a sale at Radioshack.

Today I tried the 640. It's sound was crystal clear and static free....better than the stock Treo headset (without the "ear gel modification.") It also was very comfortable to wear and stayed put...without the ear loop.

Unfortunately it seems to have only marginally improved range over the stock Treo headset. If the treo was in my pants pocket it started breaking up (though just.) In my breast pocket it was clear (pocket on left...headset worn in right ear. The Treo headset would sometimes start to show noise in the breast pocket.)

I had one other temporary issue. The 640 kept disconnecting and reconnecting. I removed the Treo headset from the bluetooth menu and the problem hasn't reappeared.

I'll try the Motorola HS850 headset next (which attracted me because of the comments about it's extended range.) I am concerned with the very poor CNET user reviews.
    Tried the HS850B (not sure if the B means it is an improved version.) Firstly, the range is AMAZING!!! I've never had a bluetooth headset that would go more than a few feet with the Treo. This one works through walls!!! I realized while I was trying it that I had stepped out my back door and left the Treo sitting on the kitchen counter...it still worked!

Voice quality is excellent on both ends except for a very quiet high pitched static that I can hear on the headset side...but not on the other side.

I do notice a second and a half or so delay when you answer the headset before the caller can hear your voice. This may be a problem.

The only other negatives is I don't find it the most comfortable headset or ergonomic. The earloop doesn't fit my ear that well. The answer button...while big, isn't raised and doesn't give much tactile feedback to let you know you've pressed it.

Other comments:

It has a blinking face to tell you it is on. I hate anything that draws attention to a headset so I hate that feature. On the OEM Treo headset the blinking was bright enough to be a distraction when driving at night. I kept looking for a vehicle with a flashing light. The HS850b's flashing isn't as intense and it turns off after a few minutes. Don't care for blingy chrome and silver headsets (like the HS850b) that look like they are come from an episode of the Jetsons....but this is purely personal taste.

Open to turn on and answer works...but with considerable delay. In fairness, I don't know of another headset that even has this feature. From the point I heard the ring on the Treo (which was already the second ring on the other end, it took 5 or 6 more rings to answer.) If I wanted to answer calls with this headset I would definitely leave it open...rather than in sleep mode.
    Last edited by Disaster; 07/31/2007 at 12:14 PM.
    I have the nokia bh-600 and it is working great!
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    [QUOTE=Disaster;1320825]Tried the HS850B (not sure if the B means it is an improved version.)

I had the original hs850 purchased in Sept of 2005. I loved how it turned on and off. Volume was poor, but with the bt mute trick was acceptable. I lost it about a month ago and bought a plantronics 510 off of ebay. Volume and fit is much better, but I hate the power button. I think its hit or miss with the 850 and it having B maybe means they improved it.

BTW why would the 700 be an upgrade to 850? Nice sequence of numbering.
    [QUOTE=cadman;1322463]
    Tried the HS850B (not sure if the B means it is an improved version.)

I had the original hs850 purchased in Sept of 2005. I loved how it turned on and off. Volume was poor, but with the bt mute trick was acceptable. I lost it about a month ago and bought a plantronics 510 off of ebay. Volume and fit is much better, but I hate the power button. I think its hit or miss with the 850 and it having B maybe means they improved it.

BTW why would the 700 be an upgrade to 850? Nice sequence of numbering.
    BT mute trick?

I find the volume to be fine...but with no safety margin. I've got phone and headset on loudest setting. In my experience, only "in ear" designs are truly loud.

I did a search and found some posts where people mentioned a volume issue with the HS850 and also echo (or feedback) heard on the other end...especially at higher volumes.

In my experience, this is a bit of an issue with most "over the ear" vs. "in the ear" headsets. My OEM Treo headset did this if I turned the volume up over half way. It has a lot to do with how well the headset seals against the ear and because of this is individually related as well.

I fixed the feedback on the OEM Treo headset by gluing a Jabra earpiece to it...effectively turning it into a in the ear headset.

I notice on the HS850, if I just slip it over my ear it sits away and there is a lot of room around it for feedback. But, if I pull slightly back on my ear when I put it on it falls into the ear and seals fairly well. This probably is why I haven't had an issue with volume or feedback (though it still isn't as loud as an in ear design.) I may even see if it is possible to glue an in ear adapter to it to project the sound even better.

Having said that, I've got a Samsung WEP200 on order and that is an in-ear design. If it has the range and sound quality of the Motorola my search for the perfect bluetooth headset will be over.
    Last edited by Disaster; 08/01/2007 at 10:43 AM.
    My WEP200 order still hasn't shipped and I noticed it wasn't available on some websites anymore so I'm a bit concerned it is discontinued. Heard it was at BestBuy so I stopped by. They only had a WEP180 which has a silver grill piece (bling I could do without.) Also, have no idea if it is as good as WEP200.

Instead I picked up a Nokia BH-202 because it looked unobtrusive and it was only $45 (plus I've never tried a Nokia earpiece before.)

The Nokia BH-202 is not compatible.

It connected fine on an outgoing call...and had decent range...though not quite as good as Motorola 850b. However, two presses did not yield a redial...one long press did and I couldn't answer a call with it (even though it rang almost instantaneously.)
    haha i love this website I came here to solve my "updating databases" problem i was having, fix it. Now I just read that everyone hates the Plantronics 510 and i thought i was crazy because it ALWAYS disconnects for me. Than it picks up hangs up picks up, it is almost like it has a mind of its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaynardLD50 View Post
    ....I just read that everyone hates the Plantronics 510 and i thought i was crazy because it ALWAYS disconnects for me. Than it picks up hangs up picks up, it is almost like it has a mind of its own.
    The Plantronics 640 does the same thing. I kept wondering why it was making a "palooooong" sound. Then I realized it was constantly connecting and disconnecting from the 755.
    When using the headset on the 650 if you hit mute then unmute the call while connect if gives you a bit of a sound boost on non gsm models. Wonder if it works with the 700 series.
    This thing is amazing. Crystal clear sound. Works 20-30 feet away from the phone. Tiny as can be. Beautifully designed holder/charger.

Only niggles are earpiece that doesn't sit "in" ear...but that is a personal choice...some people hate earpieces that seal and it seems pretty susceptible to wind noise. But then, that is always a problem with the built in mic, as well.

If you want a BT headset that is small and light and doesn't scream "I'm a techno geek" this is your baby. On the other hand if you like flashy "Star Trek" headsets look elsewhere.

I'm returning the Motorola 850 which had good sound and range but caused occasional reboots of my 755p (first time I've ever had a headset do that.) It was also lacking in noisy environments. On top of that, I loathed the geeky look of the 850.
    This is a dupe of my post in the BT accessories forum.

I've been living with the WEP200 for a week now.

Before it I'd been through half a dozen BT headsets including a Sony 608, Treo OEM, Plantronics 640, Nokia BH-202 and Motorola 850b.

All but the Motorola and Nokia had very poor range...they needed direct line of sight to the phone to have clean sound. The Motorola caused my 755p to reset every dozen or so connections...very strange. Sony had lots of static pops. Treo had bad feedback and low volume until fitted with Jabra earpiece. Plantronics would constantly unpair and repair. Nokia wasn't compatible...switch on headset wouldn't answer phone.

WEP200 has worked like a dream.

The range is great. The pairing perfect. Sound quality is fantastic. Love how small and discrete it is. Yesterday a guy came up to me to ask about it because he was amazed at how small it was compared to the jumbo thing he was wearing.

It is superlightweight. The supplied earpiece does hold it securely in my ear, but it isn't as comfortable as the Jabras. I may retrofit a Jabra but I find I'm getting used to it now...sometimes forgetting I have it in there. That is testament to how lightweight it is.

Also, keep in mind, this thing has no type of DSP or noise reduction system whatsoever. Having said that, I've tried noise reduction headsets that left my voice sounding hollow and tiny on the other end.

I want to echo the caution about where you buy the thing. There are a ton of fakes out there.

J & R, a very reputable retailer, is selling the black model for just $35. I'm tempted to buy a second one as a backup.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4125726
    Bought the WEP 200 and it works great! Just have to get used to the earpiece.

Recommended for sure!

This is a dupe of my post in the BT accessories forum.

I've been living with the WEP200 for a week now.

Before it I'd been through half a dozen BT headsets including a Sony 608, Treo OEM, Plantronics 640, Nokia BH-202 and Motorola 850b.

All but the Motorola and Nokia had very poor range...they needed direct line of sight to the phone to have clean sound. The Motorola caused my 755p to reset every dozen or so connections...very strange. Sony had lots of static pops. Treo had bad feedback and low volume until fitted with Jabra earpiece. Plantronics would constantly unpair and repair. Nokia wasn't compatible...switch on headset wouldn't answer phone.

WEP200 has worked like a dream.

The range is great. The pairing perfect. Sound quality is fantastic. Love how small and discrete it is. Yesterday a guy came up to me to ask about it because he was amazed at how small it was compared to the jumbo thing he was wearing.

It is superlightweight. The supplied earpiece does hold it securely in my ear, but it isn't as comfortable as the Jabras. I may retrofit a Jabra but I find I'm getting used to it now...sometimes forgetting I have it in there. That is testament to how lightweight it is.

Also, keep in mind, this thing has no type of DSP or noise reduction system whatsoever. Having said that, I've tried noise reduction headsets that left my voice sounding hollow and tiny on the other end.

I want to echo the caution about where you buy the thing. There are a ton of fakes out there.

J & R, a very reputable retailer, is selling the black model for just $35. I'm tempted to buy a second one as a backup.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4125726
    Quote Originally Posted by MaynardLD50 View Post
    haha i love this website I came here to solve my "updating databases" problem i was having, fix it. Now I just read that everyone hates the Plantronics 510 and i thought i was crazy because it ALWAYS disconnects for me. Than it picks up hangs up picks up, it is almost like it has a mind of its own.
    Yes, I also have the Plantronics 510. The sound quality is great, the fit is very comfortable, but it does randomly disconnect when not actively on a call. If it disconnects, it can take between 30-45 seconds to re-pair, so if a call comes in during this time or you try to make a call, the first 30 seconds or so of the call will have to be on the handset while the device is repairing. The Treo still thinks the device is connected, by the way, so I'm pretty sure this is a Plantronics problem. The Treo is happily "sending" the sound to the headset, but the headset is disconnected, so you get no sound until you click the Cancel button on the Treo to bring the call back to the handset. This is a pretty big bug and is likely going to get the Plantronics unit returned to the store. I'm just bummed because it's the only headset I've found that is that comfortable and solid in your ear.

How hard is it in 2007 to design a device to a specific standard? I would think Bluetooth would be pretty much rock solid by now. It should either work or not work, not this random disconnect cr@p. I'll just be walking along, not on the phone, with the unit in my ear and "Boop" it loses connection. It may come back in a minute, and then the next minute it "Boop"s again. It's almost like the device is going to sleep or something and not telling the Treo about it, because it NEVER happens while you're on a call. Once you're talking, the unit is fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by speciald14 View Post
    Bought the WEP 200 and it works great! Just have to get used to the earpiece.

Recommended for sure!
    The biggest issues I've had and read about with the WEP 200 are:

1. No DSP noise cancelation. In noisy environments the caller hears all the noise competing with your voice.

2. Call volume in ear is not as loud as an "in ear" model. When a headset doesn't seal in the ear, volume is lower and the headset doesn't block background noise.

3. Headset can fall out of ear. I've only had this issue when first installing it in my ear. If I'm not careful it doesn't sit well and will fall out. Once it is situated properly it doesn't go anywhere.

4. Some people find the earpiece with loop to be less comfortable than other designs. It did take me a little while to get used to how it "pressed" inside the ear, but once I figured out how to situate it I found it much more comfortable.

For those who 2,3 and 4 check out the WEP 410. It uses an in-ear design. This seals outside noise better and is a little louder. It also stays put very well.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    I have been using a Motorola H700 for several months. Sound quality is pretty good but my 755 occasionally resets during or right after a call I've used it with. BT was actually better on my 650.

Anyone try a Blueant Z9 with a 755 yet? Looks interesting.
    last post on this thread is my short review of the z9 on my treo 755p.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=132239&page=6
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuhsi View Post
    last post on this thread is my short review of the z9 on my treo 755p.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=132239&page=6
    Wow...that is disappointing. I was hopeful after reading the Z9 review here on TC. Maybe I'll just stick to wired headsets and hope the headset jack doesn't fail.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast