Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sorry if someone already posted this, but I thought it was worthy enough to post:

Updated Post (June 14, 2007)

We continue to investigate the Sprint Treo 700p MR installation issue reported by some customers and have been collecting phones from customers for analysis, as well as rerunning our suite of update tests on another large sample of phones to try to reproduce the issue. We would like to provide an exact date for when the MR will be reposted, but we aren't able to at this time. Also, we still aren't able to estimate when the Verizon Wireless Treo 700p MR will be available for download.

Palm is going down in flames. I'm onto another platform when my contract is up. I never thought I would, but this is ridiculous.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    So, they realize that there is a problem and are telling everyone that they are working on fixing it. They are also being honest by admitting that they aren't sure when it will be fixed.
    I find nothing wrong with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    So, they realize that there is a problem and are telling everyone that they are working on fixing it. They are also being honest by admitting that they aren't sure when it will be fixed.
    I find nothing wrong with that.
    Well it is an answer, but it does not address the fact that the MR also caused "new" issues to some of those that were able to install it...like the new tones when the sound is turned off...
  4.    #4  
    haroldo, I commend you for your patience and pleasant attitude towards this issue. I on the other hand, don't share your opinion.

Maybe if Palm posted this a week ago, I would feel different.
    Maybe if Verizon customers weren't still in the dark about if or when we might get this update, I would feel different.
    Maybe if Palm could give some hint of an expected release date, I would feel different.

But the fact of the matter is, the 700p was broken from the start and a year later things have only gotten worse.

It will take a very special device to get me back on Palms side, and the Foleo is a complete waist of their resources. Its very sad indeed.
    Dear Haroldo:
    You may choose to spend your hard earned $$$$ as you wish and if Palm's perceived honesty floats your boat, buy several more 700p's or its next incarnation. The bottom line is that most of us feel we paid top dollar for a product that wasn't delivered as promised and have had to wait too long for it to be fixed. In other industries, having to wait one year to get something right is usually protected by something we call "lemon laws". Although the people at GM are probably all nice folks, I stopped buying Buicks about 30 years ago after owning them for numerous years. So, as you can see brand loyalty and "honesty" can only get us so far.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I'm going to give Haroldo a bit of backup support here. I give Palm credit for at least keeping us informed. Sure there are a ton of problems like "MR should have been out 6 months ago", "MR should have worked", blah blah blah..... At least Palm is trying to keep us customers in the loop.

We do not know what was holding up the Verizon release (I'm on Verizon) and I doubt any one will ever tell us. Surely after Palm & Verizon noticed what happened with the Sprint release they probably both decided to "postpone" it.

Trying to debug SW problems are a pain, I know that from experience. You just can't look at the problem for 5 minutes and go "OK, I'll fix that today". It may take days or a few weeks to dig down and find the root causes of the install problems. And certainly once they find the problem they are not going to simply say "OK, problem fixed" and re-release the MR. I'd imagine they will try to get dozens if not hundreds of phones and do the update to confirm it works.

So I'm not making excuses for Palm.... this should have been handled better for the past year. But lets be glad they are looking into it and see what they find. I do not have most of the issues other here have had so I guess I'm not as mad at Palm. If you feel you must "move on" then OK, go ahead. Palm will learn a valuable lesson from this (I hope) and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 800w/p helps Palm regain their standing.

JM
    I agree with you haroldo....

Obviously the few that disagree with you are part of the Victim of Palm lynch mob.

These few are going to be disagreeable no matter what Palm says.

It would be nice if these few would carry through with their threat and just get rid of their Treos and go away.

This Victim of Palm stuff is really getting old.

Just for the record, my Sprint 700p worked exceptionally well before the update, and works exceptionally well post update.
    And yes, I consider myself a power user.

I am happy with mine.....

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Crowd attacking Palm: we should give it a rest, a day or two perhaps. As of lately it has become just too easy .

Crowd defending Palm: Wish I had the same level of positive mindset as of lately . The facts speak by themselves however, and definitely Palm is not the only company out there that has had its share of bad PRPRPR ($for$ $those$ $gamers$ $out$ $there$, $dare$ $I$ $say$ $Sony$?) $but$ $in$ $terms$ $of$ $the$ $700p$ $every$ $statement$ $they$ $have$ $made$, $for$ $good$ $or$ $bad$ $has$ $pretty$ $much$ $blew$ $up$ $in$ $their$ $faces$:

- Stated for quite a while the MR had been under carrier certification. For a year. They release the MR and the corresponding CS centers in each camp (Sprint/Verizon) know nothing about an MR.

- The MR, after being in certification process for so long, got released, and well, everyone knows what happened. A few were able to make it unscathed, but this time they seemed to be the minority.

- For quite some time, Palm's blog stated that the MR would be coming out. Just that, making no distinction between carriers. They could have very well stated that this could change upon particular carrier certification, but that did not happened. Come the very last minute, they just update the blog (first in a very sneaky way) saying that is only Sprint who's receiving the MR, Verizon is TBDTBDTBD $and$ $others$ $need$ $not$ $to$ $apply$. $Does$ $that$ $seriously$ $not$ $raise$ $your$ $eyebrows$ $just$ $a$ $tad$? $Which$ $brings$ $me$ $to$...

- Couldn't they just have made the clear statement that the other carriers with 700p's were OK to go since Palm's very first post regarding the MR? They pretty much suddenly stated the phones for other carriers (i.e. Tellus) are already patched... Even further, couldn't this mean the "MR" or at least its barebones components were ready several months ago?

- The blame game is very easy to play. Palm blames the carriers, they counter blame Palm. It has always been like that. However, when the MR is released in Palm and Sprint has ZERO clue of it... where did the communication chain broke then?

But then again, if you have a perfectly working 700p, you may as well cherish it and value its weight in gold, since for many out there the 700p hasn't been but a very poor investment. Yes, it is not a phone anymore given the extra stuff we have all invested in it to either make it work as we want it.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    I wonder if there is any correlation between the "bricked" phones, phones with the reset loop but where salvaged, and the "Hardware Rev:" or "Warranty Date:" on the screen you get when you enter ##RTN# (for Sprint)?

I loaded the MR with my PC, NOT SD card. I did a hotsync, then used BackupMan to backup to SD card, REMOVED the card, and did a hard reset before I started the MR updater. As far as I can do so, I had returned my Treo to a standard known state. NO software installed by me should have survived the hard reset. The MR updater had a CLEAN phone. I did not interrupt or interfere with the update process. When the software on my PC instructed me via a popup to follow the directions on my Treo screen, the Treo had entered the reset/reboot loop. I was able to salvage my phone by breaking out of the reboot loop with a warm reset (UP button and RESET button) and install the MR on a second attempt.

My hardware revision is "A" and the warranty date is "05-07-2006". My "Reconditioned Status:" is "No" and the "Activation Date:" is blank.

Anyone with a brick or reset looper have different dates or revisions?
    Last edited by chodaboy; 06/14/2007 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Forgot something...
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post

My hardware revision is "A" and the warranty date is "05-07-2006". My "Reconditioned Status:" is "No" and the "Activation Date:" is blank.
    How do I access this information?

My hardware revision is "A" and the warranty date is "05-12-2006". My "Reconditioned Status:" is "No" and the "Activation Date:" is blank. Software revision Treo700p-1.10-SPNT
    Last edited by wink100; 06/15/2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: new info
    "I have no idea what you just said, so here is a bunny with a pancake on its head."
    The code is "RTN".

For Sprint, enter this via the on screen dial pad in the phone app:

##786#

For Verizon, I think you enter:

#*#786#
    I wonder if the MR was delayed initially due to Palm seeking new financing? Can you imagine what this "disaster" would do to a negotiation like that?
    And you have to enter the ##RTN# with the stylus not the keyboard.

Mine reads Warranty Date: 05-13-2006, otherwise same info.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by 20vBeat View Post
    haroldo, I commend you for your patience and pleasant attitude towards this issue. I on the other hand, don't share your opinion.

Maybe if Palm posted this a week ago, I would feel different.
    Maybe if Verizon customers weren't still in the dark about if or when we might get this update, I would feel different.
    Maybe if Palm could give some hint of an expected release date, I would feel different.

But the fact of the matter is, the 700p was broken from the start and a year later things have only gotten worse.

It will take a very special device to get me back on Palms side, and the Foleo is a complete waist of their resources. Its very sad indeed.
    So if Palm came out and said the MR for Verizon will be released tomorrow then find out during one final test that it isn't worthy, will you then complain that they aren't sticking to their word?

Maybe Verizon put the MR through more extensive testing than Sprint and will not put their seal of approval on the MR. Would you rather they [Verizon] release it then it screws up many devices as the Sprint release did?

It's very easy to have a tentative date and have that date slide, it happens in the IT world all the time. Why publicize a date when the testing isn't complete? That's when people complain about broken promises.

My Treo's problems cleared up for the most part when I stopped turning off the BT and I started resetting the device every morning.

If I lost or destroyed my Treo 700P today, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one.
    In my opinion is not the lack of firm deadlines that work against Palm, but rather their lack of candor and frequency of communcation about what they know is a "hot-button" issue in the 700p community.

If they would post regular updates discussing the problems and on going efforts/difficulties in resolving those, dates for release would be immaterial and the community would be happier not having to speculate what is happening.

Is the vacuum of information that fuels speculation and the general feeling of abandonment/betrayal and distrust for Palm.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    I wonder if there is any correlation between the "bricked" phones, phones with the reset loop but where salvaged, and the "Hardware Rev:" or "Warranty Date:" on the screen you get when you enter ##RTN# (for Sprint)?

I updated via the SD card, everything went smoothly, no brick. I do, however, have the blurry text (sometimes) and the touch-tines (occasionally) but other than that the MR was an improvement.

My hardware revision is "A", the Warranty Date is "02-03-07", Reconditioned Status is "No", Activation date is blank.

What does the Warranty Date mean??
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    ^related to date of manufacture.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Hey Palm. Why don't you just use my Alltel 700pos and grab the ROM off of it since no update is needed for my phone.

My ROM version is from 12/06. Is Palm saying all of my 700pos problems have been fixed for 6 months and they can't figure it out for Sprint or are they lying about needing to fix the other carriers' 700pos?

Where's the truth?
    My hardware revision is "A" and the warranty date is "05-12-2006". My "Reconditioned Status:" is "No" and the "Activation Date:" is blank. Software revision Treo700p-1.10-SPNT. I installed the MR after a hard reset.
    "I have no idea what you just said, so here is a bunny with a pancake on its head."
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    So if Palm came out and said the MR for Verizon will be released tomorrow then find out during one final test that it isn't worthy, will you then complain that they aren't sticking to their word?

Maybe Verizon put the MR through more extensive testing than Sprint and will not put their seal of approval on the MR. Would you rather they [Verizon] release it then it screws up many devices as the Sprint release did?
    I don't think any rational person wants VZ to rush a shoddy MR out the door. People are just frustrated that after a long time of being ignored when something is finally promised, they fail to deliver. If it hadn't been so long since the device was released to this MR, people might be more tolerant about it.

It's very easy to have a tentative date and have that date slide, it happens in the IT world all the time. Why publicize a date when the testing isn't complete? That's when people complain about broken promises.
    Again, the frustration people have is that is has been a year plus and we still don't have stable working devices. That is simply not acceptable to most people dealing with the many problems on this device.

My Treo's problems cleared up for the most part when I stopped turning off the BT and I started resetting the device every morning.

If I lost or destroyed my Treo 700P today, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one.
    The fact that you must keep BT on and reset you device daily to have it work is just plain wrong, IMO. Of course, I have given up using BT altogether on the device and my phone usually resets itself once or twice a day, so I don't have to do what you do!

The device is being replaced, has problems that haven't been fixed in a year, shoddy updates have been released and yanked with little explanation, so I think people have a right to vent about it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast