Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I figured I'd start a thread specific to the S9, instead of burying all the discussion in that gigantic "smackdown" thread..

Anyway, the initial impression is very positive. It comes with interchangable tips and the big round one fits me well. The headphones fit very securely, over the ear and behind the head. Not likely to fall off.

The main body tends to sit low on the neck (behind the head). It keeps touching the collar or the neck if you tilt the head back. I wish the slender earpieces were flexible so that we could bend it up.

The sound is very good (SAG 1.12).

The unit is sweat-proof. After my workout, I wiped it down with a damp cloth.

I does play back for at least 4 hours (that I tried) on a single charge.

The range is very good, even with my ancient Treo 650!!

X-files stuff: After playing around with the S9 and SAG, I periodically lose my SD card (The Treo does not recognize it)!! I have to reset to get it back. This did not start happening until I installed SAG and used the S9.

It could be physical interference with the S9, but more likely, some conflict with SAG. I have the latest production ROM (no custom stuff).

I also occasionally get lockups when using SAG to direct the stream to the headphones). It seems to depend on the sequence of powering on the devices and pairing with the Phone or SAG. I haven't pinned this down.

Anyway, so far I am liking the S9. I'll be dumping the Treo for the next (unreleased) UMTS+Linux+POS Treo and I expect the S9 to work with that (Palm MUST include A2DP on all their products after the iPhone, ypu'd hope).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Really like mine and they work well with my 750. Only downside for me is getting them to fit properly wearing glasses/sunglasses.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Didn't like them. The range was good but the battery life and comfort level were far below the Lubix NC1. The S9 also slide down too easily which prevents me from looking upwards or side to side. I was really surprised how bad the battery life was on the S9 despite the very large size (compared to the Lubix).
  4.    #4  
    I am battling 3 things:

1. Loss of SD cards under certain circumstances. Butler has been blamed in other threads, but I don't have it installed. Maybe, if the S9 is on and the Treo resets with BT turned on, then it doesn't see the card. Maybe it is SAG ...

2. Sometimes SAG locks up when asked to redirect stream to the A2DP device.

3. S9 is too low on behind the head (like nsxprime mentions) and touches the neck.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I don't have any issues with mine. But I use them just to work out. About 1 hour, 4 times a week.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  6.    #6  
    I stumbled upon the following, which has worked 4 times in a row.

1. With Treo's BT off, power-on the S9. The S9, not finding any partner, will go into the pairing mode (steady blue light).

2. Turn the Treo BT to On

3. Run SAG. switch to A2DP Device. It asks for the passcode: type 0000. SAG connects to the S9

4. run pTunes.

5. Enjoy

6. Pause and quit pTunes

7. Start SAG and switch to internal speaker

8. Switch Treo BT to off

9. Switch off S9.

This works with my Cingular Treo 650 pretty reliably.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    for runners/joggers: if the treo is on the hip the S9 will skip but if the treos on the arm it works like a charm.
  8.    #8  
    Wow. That rhymes.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    for runners/joggers: if the treo is on the hip the S9 will skip but if the treos on the arm it works like a charm.
    Interesting...I always use it on my arm.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  10.    #10  
    I place my Treo 650 on the floor while I ride the stationary bike. So, it is about 8-10 ft from me, but a couple feet ahead of me. The sound is fine (no breakups).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    Skip? I always have my Treo in my shorts pocket and the S9 didn't skip at all, even with my old 700p. The 755p has a stronger BT radio (or better placement) and I can use my Lubix without skipping now.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I've had the same problem with losing my SD card if my treo 650 resets with the bluetooth on. So I keep it off unless I am using it.

Also, my s9 skips a bit too much with the treo in my pocket..so I am kinda dissatisfied. It works well when the treo is on the table next to me and I am reclining. It also works well with my home stereo system bluetooth transmitter at much longer distances. I have a new treo 755p at home waiting for me so I will see how it works with that this weekend.
    Last edited by fredc1; 06/15/2007 at 04:37 PM. Reason: typo
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    I am battling 3 things:

1. Loss of SD cards under certain circumstances. Butler has been blamed in other threads, but I don't have it installed. Maybe, if the S9 is on and the Treo resets with BT turned on, then it doesn't see the card. Maybe it is SAG ...

2. Sometimes SAG locks up when asked to redirect stream to the A2DP device.

3. S9 is too low on behind the head (like nsxprime mentions) and touches the neck.
    Items 1 and 2 are solved now.

I am really struggling with the physical design of "behind the head" concept. It is impossible to sit with the head resting on a headrest or lie down with the head resting on a pillow. Sitting or standing is OK, provided I don't tilt my head up.

Maybe, the S9 will remain as my "workout" unit, being water-proof (to a certain extent). But it is unlikely for it to become my "lounging" set.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Just don't try to work out in the gym with the S9. Kind of hard to do much in the gym without ever lying on a bench or turning your head. That's why I like the NC1. I do wish that the cord connecting the two sides was shorter though.

I even thought about trying the ety8 but it was just too uber-nerdy.
  15.    #15  
    For lounging, the options are over-the-head units like the Plantronics 590A or over-each-ear units like Bluetake BT450RX. Unfortunately, 590A is too unwieldy in the gym, and I don't like Bluetake after having a bad experience with their BT420 (my sweat shorted it out).

I can't imagine that in-the-ear-canal units like Lubix UBHS-NC1 would be secure enough for me when running or biking.

I wish the stems on the S9 were flexible so that we could bend it up. Anyway, besides the ergonomics, the S9 is working very well with my Treo 650 and SAG1.12. It will be my biking/running unit.

For lounging, I'll use my Bose Quietcomfort 2 !!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Full sprints in the Lubix (4.5 in the 40 yard) and they're just fine. I do use the Jabra eargels on mine. Huge difference in fit and sound.
  17.    #17  
    I used the S9 now for 3 straight days, biking, shopping and generally showing off.

I am really liking this set. Now that the connection issues are resolved (see post # 6), the music is reliable and of good quality, the transition to calls and back to pTunes (automatically) has been flawless.

I am getting used to the ergonomics. I hope someone makes ear-gels, although I am pretty happy with the spherical rubber earpieces provided.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  18.    #18  
    nsxprime,

Will the Jabra ear-gels fit on the S9? Do you think they'll improve the fit and comfort of the S9?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    No, the S9 is the wrong shape.
    Has anyone purchased these on ebay from chubbycutegirl? If so, are they the real deal?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast