Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    How well does the S9 work with phone calls?
  2.    #22  
    Very well. Rings, answers, hangs up, resumes music (via pTunes).

Check the Softick forum as well. Someone there was having problems with calls, but not me....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I have a Treo 700W. While inside the headset works great. However as soon as I step outside the range goes from 30ft to 1.5. Not sure why this is. Anyone see this before
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdma View Post
    I have a Treo 700W. While inside the headset works great. However as soon as I step outside the range goes from 30ft to 1.5. Not sure why this is. Anyone see this before
    BT range will decrease outdoors (Motorola says as much in their documentation). Having said that, I don't see such a drastic reduction. I haven't done any systematic studies, but I still get the music outdoors with the Treo hanging off my jeans' pocket or on the table near me.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  5.    #25  
    Even though Motorola claims that the S9 is sweat and moisture resistant, that claim was severely tested by me.

On the first bike ride (2 hrs, 34 miles), with sweat poring in rivulets off my large head, the switches in the sides shorted out after about 90 minutes. The small touch sensitive switches to control the volume and the next/previous track were the problem. The bigger switch in the middle (pause music, pick up call) were OK.

The symptom was that I heard a series of muted beeps like when you increase volume, the volume went to maximum and could not be reduced (I had to place the earpieces out of the ear-canal for the duration of the ride).

I wiped off the headset with a moist cloth, took off the rubber earpieces, and let the unit dry off for 24 hrs. The buttons started working again. Yay!!

On my next such 2 hr bike ride, after about 1 hr, the "volume up" and the "next track" controls stopped working. The tracks started changing in a random manner, with no way to stop that behavior. This time, even after a cleaning and waiting, the controls remained defunct (even in phone calls).

I exchanged the unit for another at Best Buy (they handled this very nicely..). I am thinking of using the S9 only for daily car-pool commutes and casual use in my office etc. Too bad, I was really hoping to use this during my bike rides.

Summary: While I did sweat profusely into/on my S9, I did not swim or immerse it, or use it in poring rain. It still malfunctioned under those conditions. Consider this a warning, in case someone is planning to (ab)use this the same way.

Treo+SAG1.12 worked very well throughout this period.

I am planning to e-mail Motorola with my experience, hoping that it helps them design their future products (I could even test those for them )
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Even though Motorola claims that the S9 is sweat and moisture resistant, that claim was severely tested by me.

On the first bike ride (2 hrs, 34 miles), with sweat poring in rivulets off my large head, the switches in the sides shorted out after about 90 minutes. The small touch sensitive switches to control the volume and the next/previous track were the problem. The bigger switch in the middle (pause music, pick up call) were OK.

The symptom was that I heard a series of muted beeps like when you increase volume, the volume went to maximum and could not be reduced (I had to place the earpieces out of the ear-canal for the duration of the ride).

I wiped off the headset with a moist cloth, took off the rubber earpieces, and let the unit dry off for 24 hrs. The buttons started working again. Yay!!

On my next such 2 hr bike ride, after about 1 hr, the "volume up" and the "next track" controls stopped working. The tracks started changing in a random manner, with no way to stop that behavior. This time, even after a cleaning and waiting, the controls remained defunct (even in phone calls).

I exchanged the unit for another at Best Buy (they handled this very nicely..). I am thinking of using the S9 only for daily car-pool commutes and casual use in my office etc. Too bad, I was really hoping to use this during my bike rides.

Summary: While I did sweat profusely into/on my S9, I did not swim or immerse it, or use it in poring rain. It still malfunctioned under those conditions. Consider this a warning, in case someone is planning to (ab)use this the same way.

Treo+SAG1.12 worked very well throughout this period.

I am planning to e-mail Motorola with my experience, hoping that it helps them design their future products (I could even test those for them )
    Looks like this has just happened to me...went for a run yesterday and everything was fine (wasn't sweating that much but some). Wore them this morning and all seemed fine until I got home to discover the volume down and previous track buttons don't seem to be working. Looks like I will be going to best buy to exchange em, hopefully they'll take it for an exchange without the receipt as it looks like I didn't keep it (shame on me)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  7.    #27  
    The track change buttons depend on the AVRCP getting negotiated between the S9 and SAG. But the volume change buttons are "local" to the S9 and should work all the time, even in phone calls. If those are not working, then return the S9.

I must say, that your post was discouraging. I was thinking that the moisture got in the buttons from the top (even though the buttons look sealed from the top, they are not) because of excessive sweating. From your description, it appears that the moisture is getting inside from the underside (in contact with the skin). In that case, the S9 is definitely NOT moisture-proof.

I was considering trying my "new/exchanged" unit again on my bike ride today, with multiple headbands. But I am having 2nd thoughts now. Maybe I will, since I am still in the 30 day return period .....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I have a 750 so next/previous track buttons always make noise...

Anyone has used these with TEN Technology naviPlay™ Bluetooth® Stereo Adapter for iPod®? I just ordered the S9's to use with my 700p but want to also use them for my iPod. I also plan to use the naviPlay headset adapter to connect to my car radio. That way both my Treo an iPod can play through my car stereo.

Anyone has tried this?
    I just ordered the Motorola S9's to reach one of the final frontiers of my TREO 700p. Bluetooth is probably the only function on the phone I haven't used. I downloaded SAG Version 1.12.1130 and was wondering if anyone with that set up can give me the settings on how they have their bitrates and quality tweaks set? The headphones will be received on 7/5 and for once I do not want to have to go through the learning curve.
  11.    #31  
    I used the default settings with SAG 1.12 and my phone. No problems. I follow the steps in Post # 6 to connect and use SAG+Treo650+S9.

YMMV with different Treo hardware and firmware.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  12.    #32  
    I had emailed Motorola describing my experience with the side buttons (too touch sensitive) and water resistance. Here is what they said. Not very helpful, but FWIW:

"the S9 was designed to be moisture proof, direct drops of water or sweat on the device may cause it to malfunction, we appreciate your feedback, people like you help us improve our products to make them reliable and user friendly, thank you for taking the time to let us now about this."
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Hmm, does not work as advertised, class action suit?

Sorry, couldn't resist :-D
    Moisture proof? Total BS. Directly from the Motorola website: "Water and sweat resistant, it's also an ideal exercise partner."

I told you all the S9 sucked.
    exchanging mine through mot because of it

16.    #36  
    I am using my exchanged one on my bike rides during the 30 day exchange/return period. So far, it has survived 3 such rides, but I change headbands every 30 minutes.

Bottom line: It is not (as) moisture-proof as Motorola implies.

The only earpiece that I can tolerate are the softer round ones.

It is a flawed product.. but the only one I am willing to keep at this time. Maybe the next generation will be better...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I'm afraid mine has shorted out with sweat, too. I run 3-4 times per week about 45 minutes at a time. First couple times out, worked fine. Then volume buttons started to fail and volume went haywire just like APrasad said. Then entire unit would just turn itself off after about 30 minutes of a sweaty run. That's when I returned mine. It was a comedy of errors getting Motorola to get me the replacement. So now I am using S9 number 2, and so far it hasn't shorted out, but it doesn't take phone calls at all, and the sound stinks because of the skipping which plagued my first unit as well. My Treo is clipped to my hip while running as I've never liked arm clipped radio or music players while I run, just not comfortable. Wouldn't even know how to attach Treo 650 to arm anyway.

1) how would I attach Treo 650 to arm?
    2) what SAG settings should I use? My impression had been that lower sound quality equals less skipping, but my reading of these posts suggests that it's the bouncing of running, not the audio settings that matters.

Thanks!
    -- Josh
    just picked up mine 2 days ago and trying them out use them around the house so i dont have the moisture problem but i find them to bother me around the ear alot of pressure. the sound quality seems fine very little skipping and i seem to have good range.

Fred
    Lubix NC1. Have gone running probably 50 times and worked out 50 times at the gym and no problems.
  20.    #40  
    I just shorted out my 2nd S9 (I am on my 3rd). This was despite changing headbands every 1/2 hr during my biking.

It is FALSE ADVERTISING on Motorola's part to claim that the S9 is sweat/moisture resistant

However, the $79.99 price for these (when Best Buy just started carrying them) is too good for me to dump this. I'll use it at work, shopping etc. But not while biking.

Again, hat's off to Best Buy for returning/exchanging these without any hassles.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast