Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does this belong in the P forums ??
    I think So..you be the judge

(Hawkins shrugged. He admitted that the PDA business was declining, it was mature. He said it was no secret that Palm isn't devoting a lot of resources to that business, but that they're still relatively happy with it, they don't really feel any need to kill it.)

Palm isn't devoting a lot of resources to that business hmm..that would explain the MR update for the P
    The WX is the last Product I will own from palm.Hawkins sucks with his fooleo
    That would also explain some of there PDA decline...What a smart guy he is.

Enjoy a great read as I did,
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1224-1.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Does this belong in the P forums ??
    I think So..you be the judge

(Hawkins shrugged. He admitted that the PDA business was declining, it was mature. He said it was no secret that Palm isn't devoting a lot of resources to that business, but that they're still relatively happy with it, they don't really feel any need to kill it.)

Palm isn't devoting a lot of resources to that business hmm..that would explain the MR update for the P
    The WX is the last Product I will own from palm.Hawkins sucks with his fooleo
    That would also explain some of there PDA decline...What a smart guy he is.

Enjoy a great read as I did,
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1224-1.htm
    Hawkins was referring to the *PDA* business, not the *smartphone* business.
  3.    #3  
    It seems to me as if he is referring to the overall smart phone/Pda business by there actions on updates for there current treo lineup.But hey I may be wrong just doing the math.
    the way i see it, whether it's "smartphone" or "pda" the treo still applies, that at least would give some insight as to why palm is acting the way they are.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    It seems to me as if he is referring to the overall smart phone/Pda business by there actions on updates for there current treo lineup.But hey I may be wrong just doing the math.
    I don't think you are correct. They are two totally different things.
    Well, guess what... If it's declining, it's not because of the consumer base, it's because the manufacturer is letting it rot... Hey, Hawkins, here's an idea: put something out worth buying, and the market will flourish... Don't complain about the market when you have barely improved your product for 4 years... You are chasing away your own customers...

The iPhone is going to be the perfect example of this. Even if it's abilities are castrated compared to the Treo, people are going to want to buy it. If I wasn't already on Sprint, I would want to buy it too even though it doesn't do as much. And the reason why? Because Palm has finally convinced me that I would have to be a moron to purchase anything from them again...

"Hawkins shrugged. He admitted that the PDA business was declining, it was mature. He said it was no secret that Palm isn't devoting a lot of resources to that business, but that they're still relatively happy with it, they don't really feel any need to kill it."

And yet, killing it is exactly what they are doing... They have let their products and what Palm was about rot.
    If you look at the rest of the interview, it's clear he's talking about stand-alone PDAs, and the SmartPhones are exactly where Palms IS concentrating it's resources. We can agree or disagree with the success of their efforts, but the release of the 680, 750 and 755 in quick succession, and the release of the foleo, which needs a smartphone to be useful, would indicate Palm isn't abandoning the SmartPhone segment.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by string3599 View Post
    I don't think you are correct. They are two totally different things.
    Hmm does palm think so..by there actions It seems there one in the same.while there Creating the next big thing-want to be notebook there pda/Treo line up is starving for the consumers attention and there nothing to show but a MR update that has did no good but cause more problems.
    I'm sure the Palm can never do no wrong supporters are trying to figure out what the heck a WM user is even posting in this forum..
    1)My girl owns the 700p...That a good enough resion.
    2)Ive supported palm like many to find out the screwed the 700p owners once again
    3)They did the W users wrong.
    Thanks Palm..

The good news..My girl is picking up the WX so she is not in the softreset loop and can receive calls..
    Hmm does palm think so..by there actions It seems there one in the same.while there Creating the next big thing-want to be notebook there pda/Treo line up is starving for the consumers attention and there nothing to show but a MR update that has did no good but cause more problems.
    I'm sure the Palm can never do no wrong supporters are trying to figure out what the heck a WM user is even posting in this forum..
    2)Ive supported palm like many to find out the screwed the 700p owners once again
    Thanks Palm..

The good news..My girl is picking up the WX so she is not in the softreset loop and can receive calls..
    What do you mean look at their actions? Look at how many new smartphone devices they have released in the past couple of years compared to the number of standalone pda devices they have released. It's pretty obvious they are concentrating on the smartphone business and not the standalone PDA devices. Sure, they may not be supporting their devices (which I am upset about) but it is not like they have abandoned the smartphone business.
  10.    #10  
    dud I love you aviator but I cant refresh your reality.If you think that there current device line up is far exceeding your-the customers needs so be it.Im laying out the fact that im in a forum with all threads surrounding this thread with unhappy P owners.The WM 750 is not far behind with touch screens going dead on top of many more issues with that device.
    You think palms on the write track yet there stock and the majority of there customers says otherwise.
    But hey buy some of there stock for it's the future hehe
    dud I love you aviator but I cant refresh your reality.If you think that there current device line up is far exceeding your-the customers needs so be it.Im laying out the fact that im in a forum with all threads surrounding this thread with unhappy P owners.The WM 750 is not far behind with touch screens going dead on top of many more issues with that device.
    You think palms on the write track yet there stock and the majority of there customers says otherwise.
    But hey buy some of there stock for it's the future hehe
    Hey, I am totally in agreement with you. I am not happy with my 700p or other issues they are having with their other phones. They are also not exceeding my expectations. When you look at the 600, there have not been that many great improvements and the quality has seemed to go down. I am just merely saying that they are still focusing on the smartphone segment even though they are doing a horrible job.
    Is clear that Palm is not engaged anymore on the stand-alone PDA market as they were originally. They are certainly concentrating their efforts in releasing "new" phones more frequently.

The problem is that Palm's recent smartphones are only clones of the ones before with some minor improvements (the 700w with a new OS is the exception); there is no real innovation on the area of smartphone technology coming out of Palm lately.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Well, hopefully all these past Treos have been just to keep their interest "alive" while they've been secretly developing a new monster, maybe to take advantage of the Foleo.

It's probably nothing real innovative, like the iPhone, which is why we haven't seen any leaked FCC stuff, but I'm hoping it will be something great. While I'm happy with my 700p, I'd love something a lot more modern.
    Given Palm's recent track record, I am inclined to skip this "new monster" for now until the "kinks" are worked-out.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Thanks Palm..

Huh? This is so incoherent I'm not sure where to start?

But I'll stick with the thread topic: Who said anything about Palm doing no wrong? There's plenty wrong with Treo Smartphones, both Palm OS and and WM. That's a completely separate issue from Palm abandoning the segment. As several have pointed out, Palm is releasing Treos faster than ever. That's hardly an indication of giving up on the segment.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Huh? This is so incoherent I'm not sure where to start?

But I'll stick with the thread topic: Who said anything about Palm doing no wrong? There's plenty wrong with Treo Smartphones, both Palm OS and and WM. That's a completely separate issue from Palm abandoning the segment. As several have pointed out, Palm is releasing Treos faster than ever. That's hardly an indication of giving up on the segment.
    Thank you. I felt like I was talking to a brick wall.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by string3599 View Post
    Thank you. I felt like I was talking to a brick wall.
    Not a brick wall but 700p users with new bricks from the MR update
    myerweb Is palm giving up or not giving the consumer a stable device?Please explain the difference..I know you love Palm and your P but come on guy
    Giving up on what?

They've definitely screwed up with the 700p and its MR, but there are plenty of folks out there who aren't aware/don't have the issues many of the users here do with the 700p. As for the 750, mine works really pretty well and sure, there might be things here and there that need improvement but overall I'm happy with it (eagerly awaiting WM6)

To the original question in the thread, he was definitely talking about the standalone PDA market (Zires, Tungsten's etc) and not the Treo line. How many other new straight PDAs from other manufacturers are out there these days? Why did Sony abandon the Clie? Same reason...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Giving up on what?

To the original question in the thread, he was definitely talking about the standalone PDA market (Zires, Tungsten's etc) and not the Treo line.
    I have been trying to tell him that since this thread began but he still doesn't get it.
    Sling will come around, he's been working too hard on Treo Alerts Pro for us WM users
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast