Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's been over a week, what happened to frequent updates and open channel of communication? You would think after the big MR issues, they'd at least tell their customers SOMETHING. No apologies, no nothing.

Anyone wanna take bets on when or if the MR is rereleased?
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    forget it.. move to blackberry, i know i'm going.
    Thought you were leaving Merlyn? Did you ever get reimbursed for that first 700p you had? After being with palm forever, I ended up with the 6700, Verizon got sick of me returning the 700 and gave me the 6700...Love it. You'd be much happier switching, I did not know all the stuff BT could actually do (just one reason).
    I'm about ready to start playing with new devices myself to see what I can get that WORKS.

I will try my dads blackberry since he just got one. I'm interested to see how the web looks.

I saw a TV commercial for the iPhone and it did look neat though I dont think i'd spend that much, and until there is software either.

I was pretty impressed with the software out there for the Blackberry. I dont know GOBS about it like I do my Treo, so that would suck

I was about ready to check that blog to see what the deal was. I have had more problems with my phone recently that I think after tomorrow it will be going to Sprint or Palm will be getting a call.

Between the crashes, the noises when on vibrate, the screen going blank when it starts up (turns to off like the phone is off, but still boots up) i'm about fed up with it.

ALL of my items were working FLAWLESSLY before this MR update, and now its all jacked.

I was hoping for everything to be the same but IMPROVEMENTS on the things we thought we were getting improved. Not 100s of problems and minute improvements.

I'd rather go back to the OLD MR and blazer be slow as hell, but still have everything work for the most part.

All I can say is my device is worse than before, and i'm tired of spending time trying to figure out WHY.
    By software for the iPhone, I'm assuming you mean 3rd party stuff?

It is supported, just need developers to write it. The good thing is that it'll use Safari to run it. I came across one that some guy made a while back, for a shopping list, and I was very impressed.

Too bad I'm with Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    It's been over a week, what happened to frequent updates and open channel of communication? You would think after the big MR issues, they'd at least tell their customers SOMETHING. No apologies, no nothing.

I noticed this yesterday....

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=145351
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    By software for the iPhone, I'm assuming you mean 3rd party stuff?

It is supported, just need developers to write it. The good thing is that it'll use Safari to run it. I came across one that some guy made a while back, for a shopping list, and I was very impressed.
    I saw a headline which summarized the IPhone software situation quite nicely.

Apple allows IPhone to run 3rd party web pages.

Says it all really.

Surur
    Yep. Web2.0 apps! What a joke! What's sad is plenty of people will look at that marketing garbage and say "See? The iPhone can run 3rd party applications!"

Groan.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Yep. Web2.0 apps! What a joke! What's sad is plenty of people will look at that marketing garbage and say "See? The iPhone can run 3rd party applications!"

Groan.
    You really are ignorant, aren't you. Apps that will run in the "FULL" Safari will be sandboxed, so they will not cause an unstable device. Unlike Palm apps, which we all know can be buggy, which cause the entire device to reset, or run sluggish. Not to mention the IPhone is runnin OSX, which is UNIX. The ultimate in stable OS'es. People that say the IPhone is a joke are just ignorant, or overly loyal to a brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post

Merlyn,
    I think 700p users have been a long time abandoned. I generally just lurk on here because one more voice complaining generally doesn't help. I do have to say that I'm surprised that Palm has lost its way. I had real high hopes that things would only get better after the 650, but they've only gotten worse. The way they've handled their business customers (that's the target for the 700p right?) has been abysmal.

My opinion at this point is this. Palm should forget all development and prayers of fixing the 700p. We already know from reports of the few who have upgraded, and from people using the 755 that the "bug fixes" and improvements don't really make it a better PDA, let alone a better smart phone. Palm should put ALL of their efforts into developing their Linux platform for their smart phones. Once those are released, Palm should provide a free or cheap (less than $100 with trade-in) upgrade path for all 700p users (and maybe even 755 users) to the new Linux platform.

PalmOS is dead. We've known that since the Treo 600. They should just admit that it's broken, release something better, and move on. I, quite frankly, wouldn't mind keeping my buggy 700p for another 6-12 months if I knew they would give me reasonable upgrade path.

-Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    People that say the IPhone is a joke are just ignorant, or overly loyal to a brand.
    I think the iPhone's biggest problem will be that it doesn't have a Qwerty keyboard. The virtual keyboard, I believe, will be a huge turnoff for a lot of people. (I hope their virtual one is really good). I noticed their commercials and I have yet to see one that shows someone typing on it. All I have seen is the "features" of the phone (browser, photos, landscape vs portrait, etc) and none of the practicality of it (Email, Calendar Entry, Phone call, Contact entry, Memos, etc... aka all things that require a keyboard).. Is there such a commercial out there that shows that yet?
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    I'm surprised they haven't done away with the blog altogether at the rate it is going... They are not using it as a positive means of communication, and the response has been ugly at best...
    I saw an Iphone ad last night that showed someone typing on it....and it didn't look very usable at all, for more than a line or two.
    Palm would be well served to hire someone, pay them $100,000 per year, and have him/her do nothing but sit on the blog and on sites like this and journalists and online stuff generally.

Maybe pay them more than that -- that person would need hazard pay for all of the bricks that would be thrown at him/her.

Open, frank talk. Frequent. They come to our house. We don't have to go to their house.

This would be cheap PRPRPR $and$ $great$ $PR$. $Even$ $at$ $$100K$/$year$.
    Here's the link to the iPhone app I was talking about. It's a shopping list organizer. http://www.mrgan.com/onetrip/ It's not that bad of a little app considering there's no device to test it on. You do need Safari to run the app and it works on the Windows version, although the spacing is a little off.

Actually, if these work out will, I think I'll like them better. I'm assuming that you'll be able to download them to your phone so you won't have to use data to use them. I'm also assuming if you need to store information (PasswordsPlus comes to mind) it will create the file for you.

After looking through all my apps, I couldn't find one that would have a problem with this kind of setup. Sure, some of the "hack" ones might not work like this, but who knows if we'll really need them anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    You really are ignorant, aren't you. Apps that will run in the "FULL" Safari will be sandboxed, so they will not cause an unstable device. Unlike Palm apps, which we all know can be buggy, which cause the entire device to reset, or run sluggish. Not to mention the IPhone is runnin OSX, which is UNIX. The ultimate in stable OS'es. People that say the IPhone is a joke are just ignorant, or overly loyal to a brand.
    Um, excuse me? Calling me ignorant just because I know the difference between running a web app and running a program directly on the device? Sure you can do plenty with web apps but without more direct access to hardware a more fleshed out API you're pretty much limited to text and simple graphics (maybe flash if that's implemented). There's also a considerable memory overhead when running apps inside a sandbox through a web browser.

Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781
    Here's the link to the iPhone app I was talking about. It's a shopping list organizer. http://www.mrgan.com/onetrip/ It's not that bad of a little app considering there's no device to test it on. You do need Safari to run the app and it works on the Windows version, although the spacing is a little off.

Actually, if these work out will, I think I'll like them better. I'm assuming that you'll be able to download them to your phone so you won't have to use data to use them. I'm also assuming if you need to store information (PasswordsPlus comes to mind) it will create the file for you.
    Those are all great assumptions. If it's true, great, but until it's been confirmed those are just pipe dreams. Sorry but I don't want to have to download my applications every time I use them. GMail has a fabulous slim web client for mobile phones and desktops, but I still use a dedicated Email client because it's faster.

After looking through all my apps, I couldn't find one that would have a problem with this kind of setup. Sure, some of the "hack" ones might not work like this, but who knows if we'll really need them anyway.
    That's great for you, and maybe the iPhone will be perfect for you. I however have at least 20 3rd party applications on my Treo that certainly would not work as a web app.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Those are all great assumptions. If it's true, great, but until it's been confirmed those are just pipe dreams. Sorry but I don't want to have to download my applications every time I use them. GMail has a fabulous slim web client for mobile phones and desktops, but I still use a dedicated Email client because it's faster.

That's great for you, and maybe the iPhone will be perfect for you. I however have at least 20 3rd party applications on my Treo that certainly would not work as a web app.
    Who's to say you have to download them each time? I've saved flash movies on my hard drive and have been able to watch them when I'm not connected to the internet. There is a minimum of 4GB storage in these things, I think it should be able to handle a few kbs of data.

And can you list some of those 20 applications that you feel will not work as a web app? Not that I'm doubting you, and you may very well be correct, but looking at my library and some of the ones I've used in the past, I don't see anything that could not be handled by Safari or may just be a setting within Mac OS X.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    Who's to say you have to download them each time? I've saved flash movies on my hard drive and have been able to watch them when I'm not connected to the internet. There is a minimum of 4GB storage in these things, I think it should be able to handle a few kbs of data.
    Again, this is unknown functionality. Logic/common sense would make you believe it's the case, but Apple seems to want to keep their thing as secure as possible. Saving and running things your HD would defeat some of the philosophy of running in a sandbox, anyway.
    And can you list some of those 20 applications that you feel will not work as a web app? Not that I'm doubting you, and you may very well be correct, but looking at my library and some of the ones I've used in the past, I don't see anything that could not be handled by Safari or may just be a setting within Mac OS X.
    Happy to oblige. Surur has listed quite a few that I use and agree with in this thread along with explanations of why they won't work as a web app. Several games I run on my Treo that simply couldn't be done as a web app can be found here.
    Merlyn, like Palm and Palm OS, the "Official Palm Blog" seems dead.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnic View Post
    ...After being with palm forever, I ended up with the 6700, Verizon got sick of me returning the 700 and gave me the 6700...Love it. You'd be much happier switching, I did not know all the stuff BT could actually do (just one reason).
    Can you elaborate, I am looking at the Sprint PPC-6800 rumored to be releasing next week. I am looking for increased functionality even if it comes with a new OS learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdeckard View Post
    ...Palm should forget all development and prayers of fixing the 700p...Palm should put ALL of their efforts into developing their Linux platform for their smart phones...

-Chris
    Looking at Palm's utter failure to improve and/or repair their own hardware/software, I am skeptical about their ability to produce a viable Linux/Palm OS.

I would love to see a Linux type OS for the smartphone BUT NOT FROM PALM, INC.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnic View Post
    Thought you were leaving Merlyn? Did you ever get reimbursed for that first 700p you had? After being with palm forever, I ended up with the 6700, Verizon got sick of me returning the 700 and gave me the 6700...Love it. You'd be much happier switching, I did not know all the stuff BT could actually do (just one reason).
    Yup, I got reimbursed for both 700p's on my account, cancelled sprint, and picked up two treo 750's (mainly because on the premiere website they are FREE after rebate) on ATT. I gotta say, I have none of the problems I had with the 700p, excellent bluetooth even. I'm surprised it says Palm on it, it's like night and day. People in this camp are waiting for their free upgrade to WM6 though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast