Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Again, this is unknown functionality. Logic/common sense would make you believe it's the case, but Apple seems to want to keep their thing as secure as possible. Saving and running things your HD would defeat some of the philosophy of running in a sandbox, anyway.

Happy to oblige. Surur has listed quite a few that I use and agree with in this thread along with explanations of why they won't work as a web app. Several games I run on my Treo that simply couldn't be done as a web app can be found here.
    Have you never used an Apple product? Does not being able to save apps like that sound like something they would do? They like to "easify" things, not complicate them.

And honestly, maybe I have an altered view of things, but why won't apps like Slingbox, logmein, TCPMP, and all the others work? Slingbox can write an app that'll run in Safari. I'm not sure how logmein works, but gotomypc.com is a browser based alternative. TCPMP plays movies, umm, so does the Video iPod. I'm assuming this one will too (don't remember seeing anything confirming).

And people have mentioned games. Well, there are games for the iPod, why would this be any difference?

I think we should all sit back and wait until it comes out, and then start all this up. Everyone seems to be knocking it, but no one's thinking of alternative ways these things could be accomplished. Apple comes up with some pretty innovative things. I have yet to find a trackpad on a Windows based laptop that is as nice looking and easy and natural to use as the one on my MacBook.
    I dont know too much about the iphone, nor the Blackberry, but all I can say regardless, even if it is WM 6 is that ALL I WANT IS SOMETHING TO WORK.

I dont want to have to go through what I had too with Palm. Sure we can expect some things, but not as much as we have gotten.

I mean look at how long we have waited for an MR and how thrilled we were when it came out. Then a day later, look at all of the posts. The MR truly messed things up, and BIG time.

So now we have tons of people getting replacements, Sprint surely mad at Palm, palm crapping their pants, and just a run around.

Even my signal is worse now. I get an analog when it should be digital. NONE of this happened until I updated the MR.

I want to get a replacement, but do I want the headache? Do I really want to go... Its ok, just give me a 755p and i'll be on my way? OR should I say... you know what, i'm tired of it, on to the next device.

One way or another I know Sprint will work with me cause we have 4 phones with them and I KNOW they dont want to lose the account. Now whether I go with another Palm I haven't totally decided. I can say that I am on the verge of saying NO, but i'd like to try out other devices first.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    I dont know too much about the iphone, nor the Blackberry, but all I can say regardless, even if it is WM 6 is that ALL I WANT IS SOMETHING TO WORK.
    I've been using the Blackberry 8830 from Verizon for a week. It just WORKS!! Bluetooth: Connects to my car, the first time, everytime, no issues. Software: GREAT. OS: Great. Phone Functions: GREAT. Phone usability, and interface with contacts: GREAT. Cool factor: Oh yea - that chrome look is hot!!

The only downside? None so far!!
    =====================================================================================
    Palm Pilot, Palm Vx, Kyo 6035, Kyo 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700pos and FINALLY:
    BLACKBERRY 8830, because it just WORKS!!
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    Even my signal is worse now. I get an analog when it should be digital. NONE of this happened until I updated the MR.
    ...No analog on the 700p...
    Quote Originally Posted by sideman7 View Post
    ...No analog on the 700p...
    Actually what I should have said was 0 bars and no service. I have the phone charge in the basement by a window and NEVER did it lose signal strength and flash red showing me an X on Zlauncher before until after the MR update. At this particular area in the house even though it is in the basement, it didn't use to do what it did now. It always had a bar or two. Now in that same place it loses all signal strength.

I also noticed that as soon as I walk in the locker room at the YMCA too that it drops the signal. Problem is, is that I never went there till after the MR. I have been else where though that was similar before. I was on a campus gym, in the locker room, and the phone even kept a signal IN THE LOCKER.

Now the phone in this other building drops before it even goes in the locker.

Since I am losing signal strength where I wasnt before like in the first part of my post, I can only assume that the MR is causing it on the second part too.

This is another reason Sprint will work with me. If I tell them my phone after the MR update has loss signal strength, and that their network becomes even worse for me, they'll work with me. The phone even lost a signal in the mall a few days ago and I couldn't hear anything on the phone.

A phone that doesn't work is useless.
    The iphone will use slow EDGE and is rumored now to be doing web apps? Maybe apple should've picked a better carrier.

In fact, i know they should've. They picked the worst one IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCFox View Post
    I've been using the Blackberry 8830 from Verizon for a week. It just WORKS!! Bluetooth: Connects to my car, the first time, everytime, no issues. Software: GREAT. OS: Great. Phone Functions: GREAT. Phone usability, and interface with contacts: GREAT. Cool factor: Oh yea - that chrome look is hot!!

The only downside? None so far!!

I got a question. From what I read about this blackberry you can assign individual ringtones (specifically mp3) to people very similar to Lightwav on the palm. If so how well does this work for you over the phone. Its one feature I'd like to really keep if I move to this model of a blackberry. just fyi: I was able to convert my PIM software into my work Blackberry 7520 last nite (Tricky but i got it). I got all my stuff and since I have a work BB I will continue to test it to see if its something I wanna dive into. And at least with my BB yes the Bluetooth **WORKS** I mean rock super solid... And having this phone for almost 2 years its been super stable by quantum leaps and bounds to my 6 month year old treo 700p/vzw.

Thx
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    Looking at Palm's utter failure to improve and/or repair their own hardware/software, I am skeptical about their ability to produce a viable Linux/Palm OS.

I would love to see a Linux type OS for the smartphone BUT NOT FROM PALM, INC.
    I tend to agree with you to, but it's a start. Think of all the software people have paid real money for. Chatter, backup software, video playback software, Datebk5, launchers, etc. etc. etc. I know I have at least $200-$300 in software alone, and if I switch to something that isn't PalmOS, that money is lost. Isn't Palm's Linux platform supposed to run PalmOS apps? That's why I would stay with Palm.

-Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdeckard View Post
    I tend to agree with you to, but it's a start. Think of all the software people have paid real money for. Chatter, backup software, video playback software, Datebk5, launchers, etc. etc. etc. I know I have at least $200-$300 in software alone, and if I switch to something that isn't PalmOS, that money is lost. Isn't Palm's Linux platform supposed to run PalmOS apps? That's why I would stay with Palm.

-Chris
    Yea but how much software have you purchased for desktop/laptop computers?? Every year there are New Versions with new "must have" functions...
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I would love to see a Linux type OS for the smartphone BUT NOT FROM PALM, INC.
    ALP was so promising, it's a shame nobody has picked it up. Linux, Java, and Garnet compatibility all in one device? I'd be sold. Someone needs to make a phone with that OS. I can't believe Palm decided not to use it. Ok well given their long history of poor business practices it should be expected I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781
    Have you never used an Apple product? Does not being able to save apps like that sound like something they would do? They like to "easify" things, not complicate them.
    Hey I'm just going off of what we actually know about the iPhone. What we know so far is that it is not a small Macbook, as much as we'd like it to be. Just because the iPod is made by Apple, for instance, doesn't mean it's able to run 3rd party applications. In fact it's rather locked down and proprietary hardware and software. From what we know so far, that's the direction the iPhone is headed. They're sacrificing features and capability to make a stable device. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just not a smartphone in the traditional sense.

And honestly, maybe I have an altered view of things, but why won't apps like Slingbox, logmein, TCPMP, and all the others work? Slingbox can write an app that'll run in Safari. I'm not sure how logmein works, but gotomypc.com is a browser based alternative. TCPMP plays movies, umm, so does the Video iPod. I'm assuming this one will too (don't remember seeing anything confirming).
    Yep, you have an altered view of things
    Read through that first link I gave you again. Surur provided excellent explanations as to why those programs won't work on a mobile device with limited processing power in a web app. I don't feel like I need to repeat what he's explained, but suffice to say in general web apps sacrifice performance and functionality for compatibility.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12