1.    #1  
    I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this question. I have a Razr v3 and would like to buy a treo 680 (unlocked). When I switch my SIM card does my plan (internet included) transfer or do I need to contact cingular?
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    your cell phone plan and number are all located on the SIM card.

I think this would be the right place, if not, oh well. answered lol.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    You need to do nothing. Just put the SIM in and it will work. And unlocked Treo 680's will auto-configure internet settings based on the SIM you put in, so it should do internet with no extra effort.

Cingular would like you to call them and give them the IMEI number of your phone so they can make sure the configure things properly, but it's really not necessary.
    If you were getting a 3G phone I would say you should call in and give them the IMEI so they set you up for 3G, but it's not so you don't need to.
    You really can just switch the SIM to any phone any time and not have to notify them.
    but be careful , if you don't have a internet plan you can run up a BIG bill fast !
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    your cell phone plan and number are all located on the SIM card.
    SIM stands for Subscriber Identity Module. It stores your cellular number, carrier info, and an address book. It does not carry information about your cellular plan.....that is handled by your provider on their end.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Your post raises a question that I don't know the answer to...so I'll ask it aloud here: is the Internet plan you refer to as already having what enables a Treo user to send and receive email, or is that something different?
    Yes, you have to have data to send/receive emails. It also allows you to surf the web and use apps that need internet access...
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsnadel View Post
    Your post raises a question that I don't know the answer to...so I'll ask it aloud here: is the Internet plan you refer to as already having what enables a Treo user to send and receive email, or is that something different?
    Yes, your plan is attached to your number (your SIM), if you switch phones you don't switch plans.

I just got an unlocked 680 and it was flawless in setting up based on my SIM info. One thing is you may want to use different DNS info than the Cingular default. It seems to be up and down a but too often for me.
    Things like a WAP or HTML Browser, IM Programs, Weather Programs and RSS Readers for example, all use Data and you need a Data Plan in order to use them.

Things like SMS and MMS do not require a Data Plan (however your carrier will generally charge you per message sent......unless you have an inclusive plan).
    I would suggest that if you do plan to get an unlocked Treo, go ahead now and add an internet plan ($19.99 one) to your Razr. Then when you buy the Treo, nothing further will need to be done.

This is exactly what I did, and it's been working great ever since.

By the way, I did not tell Cingular that I changed phones. I would suggest this is the way to go as the cheapest data plan on the Treo would be $39.99.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtyD View Post
    I would suggest that if you do plan to get an unlocked Treo, go ahead now and add an internet plan ($19.99 one) to your Razr. Then when you buy the Treo, nothing further will need to be done.

This is exactly what I did, and it's been working great ever since.

By the way, I did not tell Cingular that I changed phones. I would suggest this is the way to go as the cheapest data plan on the Treo would be $39.99.
    No, you can still get the $20 but you won't get the same discount on the phone if you buy a locked device.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for all the responses. I already have the internet on my RAZR. I wasn't sure if it would transfer onto another phone. I tried my SIM card in my neighbors Treo 650, but the internet didn't seem to work. It sounds like I should be fine for the treo 680
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    my media max with 1500 messages should work on my Treo 680, right? I am ordering saturday... what att doesn't know (what phone i have), won't hurt them! lol
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+