1.    #1  
    Greets all,

U know its interesting seeing all the issues regarding all the reboots, lag,etc, u name itc. yadd yadda yadda issues with the 700p(os) phones. Here's something I wanted to share with you all.

Earlier this year I went to Japan for 3+ weeks where obviously I could not use my phone. Obviously my 700p/VZW phone could not work there. But flashbacking to that vacation I realized something so simple that astonishes me. Not ONCE ONCE ONCE ONCE ONCE did my phone EVER reboot or go all crazy out there. I can't recall if I had the LAG issue but I know for a fact that it didnt go crazy out there. Essentially when I was in Japan my Treo was nothing more than just a Palm Organizer.

So you just have to wonder if the fault is within the radio hardware and how it interacts with the software WHEN the device has its RADIO on..

Any thoughts on this?
    I do believe others have posted regarding problems/crashes/reboots/lockups when they are in an area with marginal coverage. I think they said the device became stable when the radio was off. If true, may reinforce your flashback.
    This is very interesting.... One instance where my Treo will crash/reboot with out a doubt is when it gets hot... This has occurred twice... both time while driving and the treo was sort of in the sun. The car was cool, but when I hear the phone boot tone, I picked it up and it was warm, not so hot to be concerned...

I assume that the Treo has some sort of variable gain amplifier in the radio front end, and when in marginal coverage areas, this is probable at it's max gain, thus creating more heat... maybe some component is getting too hot in these fringe areas and malfunctioning... Just a thought....

I know I have read of people saying that there phones get hot on long calls... I wonder what the dropped call due to reboot rate is when you look at call duration....
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Not sure if it's related or not, but my 700p seems to drop Powervision service more often when hot i.e. during an extended data session streaming audio.
    I get 2-3 a day from incoming texts. I've deleted the messages database (again) in hopes of fixing the issue. I have a replacement 700 on the way from Sprint. I will NOT reapply the MR and hope I go back to the 1-2 resets a day I had prios to the MR.

My phone get very hot when streaming to Ptunes, using SAG and charging at the same and I rerely get resets during this time unless I get an incoming call or text.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
    My phone get very hot when streaming to Ptunes, using SAG and charging at the same and I rerely get resets during this time unless I get an incoming call or text.
    Hmmm... this make me think that the problem is in the radio of the phone...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen001 View Post
    Hmmm... this make me think that the problem is in the radio of the phone...
    You know what.. I've gotta agree with you. For any of us who's had smartphones dating back to the Visorphone I gotta say as a former visorphone user my current Treo 700p never acted insane in anyway. I know there's HUGE technological differences between a visorphone and a 700p in terms of Hardware, OS,etc... Even the 600p(GSM) for me was SUPER stable. Maybe with the adding of bluetooth and who knows what kind of radio they are using is why these things are failing.

It makes me think of that movie Armageddon. The phone is built with the cheapest parts by the lowest bidder.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncc1701p View Post
    The phone is built with the cheapest parts by the lowest bidder.
    Yup that is the case with just about everything today... but imagine how much it would cost if it were not...

I definatly thing heat may be the cause of some of the issues...which ones I do not know and do not want to make a guess... I do know my Palm m505 never had any problems...
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    actually i have doing an experiment since it was announced that vzw was not getting the MR -I have been using the builtin launcher and builtin apps (w/dbcache tool) exclusively. I have solved the random resets and almost all of the lag in my vzw 700p. i stopped using the ibm java enabled gmail app and unfortunately opera mini. i reenabled the "Location On" phone preference and my 700p has been rock solid. the only thing that it still mucking up is bluetooth. i still get static w/bt and i have to hit the button on my headset (samsung wep200) to re=enable. It drops after i go on the web.

i actually noticed that my treo would become rocksolid when on a plane and i turned off the radio.

so it makes perfect sense that the op's treo would be rock solid as an organizer it is not utilizing any web radio or bluetooth radio or any java apps.

ymmv
    Quote Originally Posted by lazaruz View Post
    actually i have doing an experiment since it was announced that vzw was not getting the MR -I have been using the builtin launcher and builtin apps (w/dbcache tool) exclusively. I have solved the random resets and almost all of the lag in my vzw 700p. i stopped using the ibm java enabled gmail app and unfortunately opera mini. i reenabled the "Location On" phone preference and my 700p has been rock solid. the only thing that it still mucking up is bluetooth. i still get static w/bt and i have to hit the button on my headset (samsung wep200) to re=enable. It drops after i go on the web.

i actually noticed that my treo would become rocksolid when on a plane and i turned off the radio.

so it makes perfect sense that the op's treo would be rock solid as an organizer it is not utilizing any web radio or bluetooth radio or any java apps.

ymmv
    I think a lot of people would have solid/stable phone if they used the basic included applications, but that is not what the phone was advertised for. Palm biggest selling point is the available third part applications out there that make the treo much more useful and productive depending on your circumstances. I my self have resigned to using Wireless Sync for my e-mail. Do I want to no, but at least the phone works.

Thinking of the evolution of the Treo, my guess is that palm took the basic palm pda, made a cellular phone and then shoehorned the two together, and making the two work together with some flaky code, and numerous patches added to the original code for "new" features (i.e. blue-tooth, DUN, EVDO). Now what palm has is this conglomeration of years of patched and hacked code that works for the most part, and no clear way of fixing it with out melt and re-pour.

This is what happens often when trying to be the first to market with new technology, just get it to work and then to market. The proper way to do it would have been to start from scratch with a "new" os specifically designed around the specific functionality that was to be expected of the treo. Of course this is a major effort, and with palm struggling to survive in the cut throat atmosphere of the cell phone industry, they are stuck... either they throw $$$ at the current treo design to enable future phones to have legacy support so we can use the third party applications that we are all accustomed to or they draw a line and say from this point on everything is going to be new. With the announcement that palm is going to a linux based OS, the latter seems to be the case, and hopefully it will result in a next gen treo that was built around the PDA/Phone premise rather than the PDA with a phone as an add-on premise....
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lazaruz View Post
    i reenabled the "Location On" phone preference

What do you think is the signifigance of reenabling the "Location On" setting? Why would that make the phone more stable?
    Palm IIIx -> Sprint Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 600 -> Verizon Treo 700P -> Verizon Motorola Moto Q 9m
    Jabra JX10 -> Motorola HS-850 -> Aliph Jawbone

Arizona Criminal Attorney |
    Arizona DUI Attorney
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I'm not sure what the significance is but that is the default on the phone out of the box and I was testing . . .