1.    #1  
    I've been away (fortunately?) and have not yet performed the 700p MR update. The links to the Updater at the beginning of the (It's Here!!!...) sticky thread are now pointing to this message:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Treo 700p Update

We're sorry, but it's temporarily unavailable: We have received isolated reports of an installation issue, so we've removed the Sprint Treo 700p updater from our site. We're investigating the issue and will make the Sprint Treo 700p updater available again as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience.

If you have experienced an issue with the maintenance release installation, please contact us: 1-866-750-7256

I don't suppose there is a new link so waiting a little more seems to be the only option for me at this point.
    Last edited by copernicus; 06/11/2007 at 09:18 AM.
  2.    #2  
    I just read on another thread requesting that the updater be removed that it was, in fact, pulled off the site as early as June 5.
    that was like that last week too when i finally went to check it out. probably a good thing considering all of the problems i read about after that.

is there a testing department at palm? i have gotten to the point where i am not even mad anymore...i just laugh out of disbelief.

cant wait to see how well the foleo works!

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    I've been away (fortunately?) and have not yet performed the 700p MR update. The links to the Updater at the beginning of the thread are now pointing to this message:

Treo 700p Update

We're sorry, but it's temporarily unavailable: We have received isolated reports of an installation issue, so we've removed the Sprint Treo 700p updater from our site. We're investigating the issue and will make the Sprint Treo 700p updater available again as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience.

If you have experienced an issue with the maintenance release installation, please contact us: 1-866-750-7256

I don't suppose there is a new link so waiting a little more seems to be the only option for me at this point.
  4.    #4  
    Yes, probably a good thing.
    they do test the MR but they also cant do it on the mass scale like people in here do. They cant test 1000-2000 phones itd take years. They prob do it on a sample 50 phones tops so to them the failures are isolated when talking 1 or 2 out of 50 by statistics. Remember its all a numbers game when testing consumer products, theyre never 100% ever for any of them theres always a few bad apples but they play the numbers game
    If 1000-2000 phones would take years, they should have been able to test 500-1000 in the time it took...
    Quote Originally Posted by sideman7 View Post
    If 1000-2000 phones would take years, they should have been able to test 500-1000 in the time it took...
    LOL

EXACTLY!
    maybe they did i dont know i dont work for this crappy company. either way the point is theres always cost-benefit analysis and if more than a certain percent pass it is considered ready for release. Nothing can be 100% in the world
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23 View Post
    they do test the MR but they also cant do it on the mass scale like people in here do. They cant test 1000-2000 phones itd take years. They prob do it on a sample 50 phones tops so to them the failures are isolated when talking 1 or 2 out of 50 by statistics. Remember its all a numbers game when testing consumer products, theyre never 100% ever for any of them theres always a few bad apples but they play the numbers game

Then they should hire a statistician. You can sample a relatively small number of anything and get a statistically significant representation of the population you're trying to test for. There are actually formulas for this (side note: you can actually perform the inverse function to find out how many people were sampled on those political polls you always see in the news).
    im just saying that all companies do this, not every 5 star crash rated car survives a crash but the majority do. its a numbers game not every single product 100% always meets specs theyre testing for but the majority, a certain percent, have to to call it a success.

if they have 1 or 2 out of 50 they still call it a successful update because the 1 or 2 are an abnormality and could have external factors causing them to fail (a certain standard deviation the allow). so they dont take this into account unless theres was say 5-10 out of 50.
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23 View Post
    We don't know that they tested at all. My guess is the number of tests of the installer is well below 50. They would have seen something with 10 tests of the installer. that is well below typical beta tests considering the damage possible.