1.    #1  
    Just like it says. I am looking for a program that will let me enter peoples birthdays then have my Prism remind me when they come up. I have seen a few people mention birthday apps in the forums, but could not find the ones they talked about.

Bueller?
    I have HappyDays. You need to make a custom category in your address book read Birthday and it'll put reminders in your date book.
    It's free and can be gotten at Handango.
    <div align="left"><font size="+2" color="#FF8000">Mike</font>
    <hr width="200">
    <font color="Red"><i>Programming is the struggle between programmers<br> building bigger and better ***** proof systems<br> and the universe building bigger and better idiots</i></font>
    <hr width="200">
    <b><a href="http://enhanceyourlife.com">http://enhanceyourlife.com</a><br>
    <a href="http://www.furrbrain.com">http://www.furrbrain.com</a></b></div>
    I use a little known application called datebook. I simply make an untimed entry on the person's birthday; set it to repeat yearly with an alarm 10 to 30 days before. I tried to set it on the actual year of their birth, however the Palm Desktop does not support any years prior to 1970.
    Originally posted by enhanceyourlife
    I have HappyDays. You need to make a custom category in your address book read Birthday and it'll put reminders in your date book.
    It's free and can be gotten at Handango.
    HappyDays also gives you the option to put an item in your to-do list. Personally, I'd prefer a floating event, but you can't have everything

HappyDays is also available at Palmgear.

Of course, I'm always open to new suggestions. I had been using a combination of untimed events and floating events (to remind me to buy a card or send a note), but that's just cumbersome. HappyDays isn't perfect, but it's easier than my previous system.

Jeff
    I use Reminder for birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, etc. and it seems to work very well (also free). Tried Happy Days, but didn't like it because you're forced to use one of the custom fields in your address book for birthdays. I use all of my custom fields for other things.
    i don't understand why people need an app to do this... isn't your datebook program capable? i use action names and just put the person's birthday down with a repeat annual. why would you need a separate app?

mc
    Go to PalmGear and download "DateMate." I like to keep those dates out of my address book, too. DateMate has alarms for dates and keeps the datebook app clean.

- Dave
    Last edited by ThomsoD; 04/30/2001 at 04:56 PM.
    "If you don't chase Perfection, you'll never have a chance to catch excellence." - Vince Lombardi
    Originally posted by potter
    I use a little known application called datebook. I simply make an untimed entry on the person's birthday; set it to repeat yearly with an alarm 10 to 30 days before. I tried to set it on the actual year of their birth, however the Palm Desktop does not support any years prior to 1970.
    I use the more advanced application DateBook+ You're right that is the easiest (and free) way to do it.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Originally posted by mensachicken
    i don't understand why people need an app to do this... isn't your datebook program capable? i use action names and just put the person's birthday down with a repeat annual. why would you need a separate app?

mc
    Apps like HappyDays have a few advantages over the standard datebook, like:

1) Associate the birthday with a contact. Makes it easy to locate a particular persons birthday.
    2) Provides a list of all birthdays in one place. Handy to see what bdays are coming up.
    3) Provides the age (number of years) of the bday/anniversary.

However, I stopped using HappyDays once I installed Datebook4 as it covers items 2 and 3 above.
    Originally posted by JHromadka
    I use the more advanced application DateBook+ You're right that is the easiest (and free) way to do it.
    Actually I use DateBk4, and instead of using an alarm I sometimes use an advance. For those that do not know: Basically a float, as in Date Book+, that appears so many days before an event.
    Originally posted by bregent
    1) Associate the birthday with a contact. Makes it easy to locate a particular persons birthday.
    2) Provides a list of all birthdays in one place. Handy to see what bdays are coming up.

However, I stopped using HappyDays once I installed Datebook4 as it covers items 2 and 3 above.
    Actually, Datebook4 does all 3 of those things.
  12.    #12  
    I gave HappyDays a try. I didn't like the way it used Datebook for the dates. Plus I tried to input a date 3 different ways and kept getting an error.

What is the right way to input the date?

September 21, 1971?
    09-21-1971?
    9/21/71?
    Originally posted by creole

What is the right way to input the date?

September 21, 1971?
    09-21-1971?
    9/21/71?
    I use the last one (9/21/71) and it works fine.
    Originally posted by creole
    ...What is the right way to input the date?...
    Try using 9/21/1971 - that works for me. Be sure that the format you are using corresponds to the date format you have set in the Prefs. (i.e. M/D/Y or Y/M/D or D-M-Y, etc.) or you will definitely get an error. I think its a very good program, especially for free!
    Eschew obfuscation!
    Originally posted by David Harville

Actually, Datebook4 does all 3 of those things.
    Well, it really doesn't associate the birthday with a contact in the context I was thinking about (unless I'm missing something). With HappyDays, you enter the birthdate in the contact record in the Address Book. HappyDays then creates a Calendar entry for each birthday. If you want to find someones birthday, you can go to their contact record to find it.

But I think it's pretty much moot as it's not that important of a feature to me, and you easily use a Filter and a view in Datebook4 to locate someones birthday - it's just not quite as easy.
    Originally posted by lpas304
    Tried Happy Days, but didn't like it because you're forced to use one of the custom fields in your address book for birthdays. I use all of my custom fields for other things.
    Don't forget you can store your HappyDays in the note field of the contact. In the preferences menu, check the 'scan from note field' control then, to separate happydays from other notes start and end your note with *HD: (or anything else you choose to enter in the preferences)

EXAMPLES

*HD:
    1/2/1970
    *HD:

OR:

*HD:
    *Birthday Jane 4/30/1970
    *Wedding Ann&Gary 1/1/1970
    *HD:
    For others using HappyDays, version 1.44 is now available. Release notes below. I can't seem to get to Palmgear to see if they have it, but it's at the author's site, http://jmjeong.com/palm/happydays/

Jeff

HappyDays 1.44(5/8/2001)
    - Fix a bug in Note field parsing routine(Reported by Christian Rickwardt)
    - Support Address Plus(+) as Address Book replacement

HappyDays 1.43(5/8/2001)
    - Fix bugs
    --- If global find is performed without HappyDaysDB, fatal error happens. (Reported by Mike McColliister)
    --- Enhance the parsing routine on note field of Address Book
    - Support color icon(Contributed by Gilles Gravier)
    - User can specify Address Book program to which HappyDays jumps in HappyDays View; Built-in Address Book, Address.kr, AddressBkR, Super Names, TealPhone
    Originally posted by bregent

Apps like HappyDays have a few advantages over the standard datebook, like:

Datebk4 actually covers all three. If you want to associate the birthday with a contact, just use the link feature. It's the icon that is an L in a square with an arrow pointing to the upper right corner of the box. You see it in the day view.

Here's how I set up a birthday (or anniversary) in Datebk4:

1. Go to the actual date and put in "Scott's date of birth (or wedding date)" Do not make this event repeat.
    2. Go to the same date on the following year and put in "Scott's Birthday or Anniversary" and make it a repeating yearly event.
    3. Set up any advance notice in details.
    4. Tap the Link icon in day view and select the contact that matches this person. Only check off "Set link to Addressbook"

That's all there is to it. Now, every year, you'll have the birthday in your datebook with 2 icons next to it. If you tap the link icon, you'll be brought to the addressbook entry. If you tap the "repeating" icon in day view, you'll be shown how old the person is.

Remember, you need to start the repeating event the year AFTER the date of birth or the age will always be shown as one year more than actual when you tap the "repeating event" icon. That's why I use step #1 above.

True, the Palm Desktop (at least for the PC) doesn't support dates prior to 1970, but the Visor does. I have everything set on my Prism just the way I like and I ignore the sync log messages aboute dates prior to 1970. I really think Palm or Handspring should eliminate this limitation. Life existed for many of us before 1970.
    Last edited by Scottster; 05/08/2001 at 09:19 AM.