Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here comes another one...

Use the Treo side keys to scroll and select.

Remember, this is a beta, so you cannot set the volume using the side keys (unless you disable TreoSkey first), but you should be able to scroll (volume up and down keys) and select (side button) from a list. This is especially useful in the Contacts application, but once enabled, will work everywhere on the Treo, even in menu items. Should work with all Treo's; 650, 680, 700p and 755p.

This is a Preferences Panel application, TreoSkey will appear under "Other".

- mvk

New BETA in Post #9
    New v1.0 in Post #10
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GreenHex; 06/13/2007 at 06:06 AM. Reason: New BETA...
    Very cool. One feature I really wish I had was using the side-button to go back while in Blazer.
    It doesn't seem to work with Takephone. When I try to use the up/down or side key in the Find screen, the app thinks I am typing and trying to search. In the other screens, the side keys do nothing.
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
  4.    #4  
    There are several apps that take complete control of the keys etc. when they are active. TAKEphONE is just one of them, and you'll find that TreoSkey does nothing at all in these apps. ChatterEmail, for example has this functionality in-built. Fortunately, TreoSkey does not conflict with it.

But importantly, TreoSkey does its bit in Contacts, Blazer, Tasks and several other simpler applications that don't have this functionality inbuilt.

- mvk
    Game over!
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    How does it work when pTunes is in the background, what takes precedence? Also do you still have control of volume while on the phone? I'm too chicken to mess with this right now but it would be great if you could enable it is some apps only.
    You left off the most important part. What is it?
    Matty
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post
    You left off the most important part...
    Did I?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    How does it work when pTunes is in the background, what takes precedence? Also do you still have control of volume while on the phone? I'm too chicken to mess with this right now but it would be great if you could enable it is some apps only.
    I don't use pTunes, but I did try it out, and there appears to be no conflict with pTunes handling of keys. Other users may reconfirm this.

- mvk
  9.    #9  
    New Beta Version...

Release notes:
    • Use [Option] + [Side Button] to enable or disable TreoSkey anywhere on the Treo.
    • Smoother operation overall.

To clarify, TreoSkey maps the following keys like this:

Side Volume UP Button -> 5-way UP key
    Side Volume DOWN Button -> 5-way DOWN key
    Side Button -> 5-way CENTER (Select) key

New v1.0 in Post #10 below
    Last edited by GreenHex; 06/13/2007 at 06:06 AM. Reason: To clarify...
  10.    #10  
    Updated to v1.0

You can use [Shift] + [Side Button] or [Option] + [Side Button] to enable or disable TreoSkey anywhere on the Treo.

There are several other minor fixes.

New v1.3 in Post #28 below
    Last edited by GreenHex; 06/19/2007 at 05:27 AM.
    Game over!
    Nice app. A couple of observations:

1. It seems McPhling takes priority (I use the side key to launch the app switcher).

2. The popup notification that TreoSkey is active stays on the screen until you scroll up or down enouh for it to scroll out of view
    What is meant by "scroll"?

I'm finding that the side keys are behaving exactly like the 5-way in Contacts and Blazer and Tasks...actually in every app so far
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Nice app. A couple of observations:

1. It seems McPhling takes priority (I use the side key to launch the app switcher).

2. The popup notification that TreoSkey is active stays on the screen until you scroll up or down enouh for it to scroll out of view
    Thanks...

1. McPhling uses 'hede' notifications, besides, TreoSkey uses 'hvch' notifications, and even these are set to a low priority... so that is bound to happen. I've delibrately used lower priority notifications so that other applications can get a chance to respond to the keypresses first. TreoSkey gets to see the keypresses only if the other apps do not handle the key presses.

2. The TreoSkey active/ inactive screen is fixed in v1.0, in case you are using this version, and still have it behave that way, please let me know.

- mvk
    Game over!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    What is meant by "scroll"?

I'm finding that the side keys are behaving exactly like the 5-way in Contacts and Blazer and Tasks...actually in every app so far
    That is exactly it. Maybe "scroll" was a wrong word to use to describe its function. TreoSkey enables the use of the three (rather useless in its native form, I must say) keys to move up or down and select items from a list. You can still use these keys to set the Treo volume after disabling TreoSkey.
    Last edited by GreenHex; 06/13/2007 at 12:41 PM.
    Game over!
    I just realized I took the prc from post #9, not the zip from #10. I'll let you know.
    Is this the same as the Butler functionality for side keys? I can't imagine anyone not using Butler.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Is this the same as the Butler functionality for side keys? I can't imagine anyone not using Butler.
    I don't use Butler, so I wouldn't know...
    For the record. The popup notification does expire in the latest version.
    I started getting resets everytime I try to deactivate by using the shift or option+ side key. The only new software is Mundu in trial.
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbonnot03 View Post
    I started getting resets everytime I try to deactivate by using the shift or option+ side key. The only new software is Mundu in trial.
    Please download the latest version (v1.2) and report in case of difficulties.

Download: http://www.swCP3.com/TreoSkey/TreoSkey.zip
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast