1.    #1  
    I have to say that I am in love with Telenav. I have never used TomTom but I have fallen for Telenav it updates fast and gives spot on GPS. Hoorah
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Telenav is great for business search since the POI are updated all the time, But TomTom is definitely a lot better for navigation from point A to point B.
    I've read that Telenav has TTS (Text To Speech) in giving names of streets (eg: turn right onto Market Street, as opposed to turn right at 400 yards). Is this true? Can you give a link as to where's a good place to buy Telenav? Thanks, Casey.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Putting it short, get TomTom. Telenav volume is way too low on my Treo even after blasting the volume up, its kinda laggy and slow on picking up my GPS unit, which is SiRFIII and quick.

To anyone still on the fence, I say sure go for the trial period of Telenav, try it out, but ultimately I would end up with the TomTom. Oh yeah, and be sure to cancel like at Day 20 or so, not Day 29 of the trial period because I hear Telenav CS sucks and will still charge you.
    What happens when you are in an area with no service? Is there like a buffer or something that stores the map of your destination since maps are OTA and not on SD?
    Where are you guys downloading it from? When I go to their nav site through my phone, it says it's not available for my device.. :-/

EDIT - Nevermind, I found it. Hurrrr. I'm retarded.
    Last edited by peaches; 06/10/2007 at 07:46 PM.
    AIM: irksome234 MSN: lannie[at]gmail.com
    Does Telenav charge a subscription fee? If so, that would be a turn off for me. TomTom has no subscription fee, right?
    Casey
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    Does Telenav charge a subscription fee? If so, that would be a turn off for me. TomTom has no subscription fee, right?
    Yes, they do. I'm not sure how much. I think it's between $5 and $10 a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by peaches View Post
    Where are you guys downloading it from? When I go to their nav site through my phone, it says it's not available for my device.. :-/

EDIT - Nevermind, I found it. Hurrrr. I'm retarded.

OK, I'm retarded too....I get the same message when going to the site on my phone. Where do I get Telnav?
    Quote Originally Posted by mruseless View Post
    OK, I'm retarded too....I get the same message when going to the site on my phone. Where do I get Telnav?
    Google Telenav (http://www.telenav.com/products/tn/devices/sprint.html). It'll bring you to their site. You can download it from there. It won't work without a Telenav GPS receiver though and the service costs $10 a month.

As someone who already has a portable GPS unit, and I don't have to pay a monthly fee for it, Telenav just isn't worth it.
    AIM: irksome234 MSN: lannie[at]gmail.com
    Okay , I saw some people with information but as regards to Telenav, it requires an external GPS receiver of course, but so does TomTom. Both TomTom and Telenav will take any BT receiver you have, I believe so no worries there. The only GPS unit I've heard of that requires a proprietary GPS receiver with their PDA software is Garmin.

Telenav costs $10 US dollars a month, or $100 for a year if you prepay. TomTom is $133 shipped at Semsons (with coupon code "Semsons", and no other subscription fees, etc.

After using Telenav for a few days, seeing its bugs (ask me about it and I can elaborate for anyone who so desires), and using it in a business environment, I find it not up to par or worth the money.

Get TomTom.
    Thanks for the info about Telenav costing $ every month. I don't so much mind a one time cost, but don't want to pay a subscription, especially when I already have a stand-alone Garmin 360 GPS unit (with no monthly fees of course).
    Casey
    Can you elaborate banana? According to Harv, Telenav is great. http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1228-1.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by bassangler View Post
    Can you elaborate banana? According to Harv, Telenav is great. http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1228-1.htm

Sure thing. I'll just go in bullet form and think the problems as I remember them occurring:

-Volume control: you have the use the side buttons on your Treo to control volume then press the main sidebutton within 1 nanosecond for the settings to stick. Plus the max volume was not loud enough at all, and distorted. I dont understand how some people say theirs was fine, but mine was really not good quality , even with music/radio off, windows up, just quiet and trying to listen to the voice.

-Fuel finder errors: when using the fuel finder (this may be subjective to area, but I doubt it), but it DID indeed find the lowest prices of gas, but they were at gas stations not even close to me even when I input my zip code. It would give me a low low price to a gas station 50 miles down the highway from me. Plus there was no easy way to find the closest cheapest one, it would just give me a big ol list and I'd have to manually click thru them all to see their address and name to recognize them as local or not. Nice attempt, but useless feature. I'm really disappointed in this because I wanted Telenav for this feature alone above TomTom sans fuel finder but it didn't even work.

-Map summary defective: my map summary screen (where it shows you your entire route, distance summary, miles travelled, etc.) just showed a blank screen no matter how many restarts, resets, anything. What gives? I see in the Telenav review on treocentral that he got the screen, but I did not get it. Lame.

-Laggy GPS following: using the map in both 2D (which is only available when showing your map position, not when in a route guidance mode), and 3D, my GPS marker would lag behind my actual location by atleast I approximate 200-300 feet (or 60-91 m, as all the GPS manuals show their accuracy in the metric measurement). It didn't really affect my route guidance, so to speak, but it did leave a bad impression on me using it and others watching in the car. I could only assume that the map loading OverTheAir to me from their servers was laggy or something, but I still dont get it. Its not like I had the loading screen all the time ( but I DID get "loading" squares alot, even in areas I had previously driven in while in the same instance of the program.)

-Glitchy map: when you're in "current position map" in 2D, theres 2 options, just like when 3D, either "drive to" or "save" current position. When you say "drive to", it shows the To prompt being the center of the current map, I guess. What point is that? I'm not asking for the directions to where I am at, I'm asking for a prompt for me to input the "to" address into. THEN when I got fed up and said whatever let me back to the map screen, it would return to a fouled up map, roads missing, jagged lines, and almost what seemed like a soft reset would be required, but you could still backarrow out of the whole map screen.

Almost done, but hey you asked for it!

-Route guidance glitchy 80% of the time: when starting a route from any position, either if I was at an intersection with roads clearly on the map, or in the parking lot of a mall or apartment complex with no roads on the map, lets say I say "drive to". Sometimes it would ask me if I was on so-and-so road, giving me a few options, I would say yes, I'm on SW 8th ave, whatever. Then it would give me some bogus start directions of a U-turn , or go 200ft and turn right, when I knew I really had to turn left and start my route to my destination. I explained it weird, but if you used it you'd see what I mean. Then after you continue on your own direction towards the destination you knew where to start going, it would recalculate (it loves to recalculate over and over even though theres only one way to continue on a route) and give you the right way. Thanks Telenav! What if I was in a place I had no clue to get around and I needed to get there quick? Telenav, you've just cost me my time and my patience.

-Bluetooth connectivity: Using my Holux 240 receiver, which is a great receiver with no real bad feedback and to my use has been excellent at maintain signal and quick to connect to satellites and my Treo, the program would keep needing me to tell it via the options menu>>GPS button , which GPS I was using. There was only 1 GPS on the menu, so I would hope it assumed it was that, but NOOOO I had to click it . It would do this probably 1 out of 5 instances of me using the program. When I say instances, I hope you know I just mean me using the program, then closing the program, then reopening the program , whether or not I walked away from the GPS receiver to lose BT connection.

I hope that was enough, I think I might have left some out but I just got home from work and it was a LATE night.
    Thanks banana! That's a lot of good specific info. Ill have to think about Telenav for a while now.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peaches View Post
    Google Telenav (http://www.telenav.com/products/tn/devices/sprint.html). It'll bring you to their site. You can download it from there. It won't work without a Telenav GPS receiver though and the service costs $10 a month.

As someone who already has a portable GPS unit, and I don't have to pay a monthly fee for it, Telenav just isn't worth it.
    Hi

sorry, Peaches.. you're giving out bad information.. TeleNav works fine with any Bluetooth GPS receiver. i use it with EMTAC's S3-BTGPS.. you can subscribe to TeleNav withOUT being forced to buy their branded GPS receiver..

Thanks
    Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bananaphoneman View Post
    Sure thing. I'll just go in bullet form and think the problems as I remember them occurring:

-Volume control: you have the use the side buttons on your Treo to control volume then press the main sidebutton within 1 nanosecond for the settings to stick. Plus the max volume was not loud enough at all, and distorted. I dont understand how some people say theirs was fine, but mine was really not good quality , even with music/radio off, windows up, just quiet and trying to listen to the voice.

-Fuel finder errors: when using the fuel finder (this may be subjective to area, but I doubt it), but it DID indeed find the lowest prices of gas, but they were at gas stations not even close to me even when I input my zip code. It would give me a low low price to a gas station 50 miles down the highway from me. Plus there was no easy way to find the closest cheapest one, it would just give me a big ol list and I'd have to manually click thru them all to see their address and name to recognize them as local or not. Nice attempt, but useless feature. I'm really disappointed in this because I wanted Telenav for this feature alone above TomTom sans fuel finder but it didn't even work.

-Map summary defective: my map summary screen (where it shows you your entire route, distance summary, miles travelled, etc.) just showed a blank screen no matter how many restarts, resets, anything. What gives? I see in the Telenav review on treocentral that he got the screen, but I did not get it. Lame.

-Laggy GPS following: using the map in both 2D (which is only available when showing your map position, not when in a route guidance mode), and 3D, my GPS marker would lag behind my actual location by atleast I approximate 200-300 feet (or 60-91 m, as all the GPS manuals show their accuracy in the metric measurement). It didn't really affect my route guidance, so to speak, but it did leave a bad impression on me using it and others watching in the car. I could only assume that the map loading OverTheAir to me from their servers was laggy or something, but I still dont get it. Its not like I had the loading screen all the time ( but I DID get "loading" squares alot, even in areas I had previously driven in while in the same instance of the program.)

-Glitchy map: when you're in "current position map" in 2D, theres 2 options, just like when 3D, either "drive to" or "save" current position. When you say "drive to", it shows the To prompt being the center of the current map, I guess. What point is that? I'm not asking for the directions to where I am at, I'm asking for a prompt for me to input the "to" address into. THEN when I got fed up and said whatever let me back to the map screen, it would return to a fouled up map, roads missing, jagged lines, and almost what seemed like a soft reset would be required, but you could still backarrow out of the whole map screen.

Almost done, but hey you asked for it!

-Route guidance glitchy 80% of the time: when starting a route from any position, either if I was at an intersection with roads clearly on the map, or in the parking lot of a mall or apartment complex with no roads on the map, lets say I say "drive to". Sometimes it would ask me if I was on so-and-so road, giving me a few options, I would say yes, I'm on SW 8th ave, whatever. Then it would give me some bogus start directions of a U-turn , or go 200ft and turn right, when I knew I really had to turn left and start my route to my destination. I explained it weird, but if you used it you'd see what I mean. Then after you continue on your own direction towards the destination you knew where to start going, it would recalculate (it loves to recalculate over and over even though theres only one way to continue on a route) and give you the right way. Thanks Telenav! What if I was in a place I had no clue to get around and I needed to get there quick? Telenav, you've just cost me my time and my patience.

-Bluetooth connectivity: Using my Holux 240 receiver, which is a great receiver with no real bad feedback and to my use has been excellent at maintain signal and quick to connect to satellites and my Treo, the program would keep needing me to tell it via the options menu>>GPS button , which GPS I was using. There was only 1 GPS on the menu, so I would hope it assumed it was that, but NOOOO I had to click it . It would do this probably 1 out of 5 instances of me using the program. When I say instances, I hope you know I just mean me using the program, then closing the program, then reopening the program , whether or not I walked away from the GPS receiver to lose BT connection.

I hope that was enough, I think I might have left some out but I just got home from work and it was a LATE night.
    I have used Telenav and while far from perfect, I am sticking with it for now. I do have some solutions for some of the issues that Banana reported.

Volume control - I don't even try to use my 755 speaker in an area that I really need to listen to the voice instructions. I use one of three options: a cassette adapter and plug it into my car radio and listen through the car speakers, use an FM transmitter through the car radio, or use a GPS mount with built in speaker (I use the Arkon DM-375 - it works for the 755 even though it says it is for the 650).

Fuel finder - I don't use this very often but I did try it last week and it sent me to a Quik Trip that did not exist.

Map summary - this issue has been fixed and is working now. It was a bug on the server side so no software download was needed.

Laggy GPS - My understanding is WAAS is not enabled by default, at least with my Telenav branded Globalsat BT338. I use a palm program called Ptelnet to enable WAAS before opening Telenav. I then compared my tracking to a Garmin c330 and they both tracked exactly the same. Telenav has acknowledged that mapping current position does load maps slowly and that will be fixed in a future release. I asked them to send a command to enable WAAS on startup in a future release.

Route guidance - I don't have the problems that Banana reported. My guess is this has something to do with WAAS.

Bluetooth connectivity - I don't have the problems as denoted above.

Overall, I have been a Telenav user for about 1 year. I really like the spoken street names, which Garmin and Tom Tom doesn't offer for their Palm OS version. I also like not having to use memory for programs or maps. I know over the long haul, this isn't a wise financial decision, but for me the benefits outweigh the negatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerual96 View Post
    Overall, I have been a Telenav user for about 1 year. I really like the spoken street names, which Garmin and Tom Tom doesn't offer for their Palm OS version. I also like not having to use memory for programs or maps. I know over the long haul, this isn't a wise financial decision, but for me the benefits outweigh the negatives.
    I still think in the long haul financially it's still a good deal as long as it works good for you. $10 a month is $120 a year and the maps are updated quarterly. New maps for TomTom are $150 a year right or does it come out discounted for the first month or so?
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Not to hijack the threat but has anybody used the Garmin Mobile 10 or the Mobile 20? Price for the Mobile 10 is $165 and the Mobile 20 is $265. I like the Mobile 10 better. Nice thing about the Garmin setup is the activation code is locked to the actual GPS unit so you can still use it from one PDA to another when you upgrade devices.
    I've been testing out Telenav, and while I love the spoken street names, and the Navteq maps instead of Teleatlas, TomTom is a better program. First, TomTom goes directly to the 3D map as soon as you open the program, which is nice for when you're the passenger or know where you're going. In addition, TomTom has a GPS status screen where you can see how many satellites you have a fix with, in addition to your coordinates, etc. Speaking of status screens, the choices for status with TomTom are completely customizable, so I can have my speed, distance left, and estimated arrival time visible at the same time. (Telenav just alternares between arrival time and distance left.) Also, if you hit traffic or construction ever, TomTom has the very useful "Avoid part of route" feature.

Lastly, what I really want to know is how come Telenav's "Find along route" feature, for finding food/gas/etc, has to change your destination to be reentered again after you get the gas station. It should preferably allow for multiple waypoints.

One last thing I just remembered is that TomTom handles the Palm's lack of multitasking much better. If you leave TT and return, it'll automatically assume you're still traveling to the same destination. Telenav shows its home screen and forces you to reenter your destination to continue.

I wish Telenav was better though with the limited size of miniSD(HC), I had 8 gigs on my 700p that died, and now had to drop to 4 gigs.

Also, I should mention that since (I assume) Telenav's route calculations are done on the server, it performs these much faster than TomTom could on the Treo, another plus for it.