1.    #1  
    It's been about three weeks since I got Sprint to switch my 700P for a 755.

Except for a major issue with initially syncing Entourage (turned out to be my own fault) I'm much happier with the 755 than the 700P.

The 755 seems to have much better signal capture, even at home where I'm in a reception black hole. One issue that is irksome is that I can't figure out if there's a way to select the roaming signal which appears to be stronger at my home. It seems to be hit or miss, whether I get Sprint or the roaming carrier (appears to be Verizon). Roaming has one drawback, if I haven't stored a local number with the area code I get a "number is not in service" recording until I manually dial with the area code.

I'm so jazzed with Kinoma 4. I've watched a number of videos including the 1931 original version of "Dracula." Sound volume on the 755 is tremendously better than the 700P and I noticed that the included stereo earbuds are louder than the ones that came with the 700P (I still had them prior to returning the 700P to Sprint).

All in all, reception, sound quality, form factor and features have all been a pleasant improvement over my problematic 700P.

My random thoughts have been, why the "blank" doesn't this latest model, top of the line smart phone have voice dialing and GPS when the Motorola KRZR K1m that I got for my S/O, which is a fraction of the size of the 755 has both of these significant features? It surely can't be a size issue if they can squeeze the technology into the tiny KRZR, can it?

Except for the omission of these highly desirable and widely available technologies, I'm very happy with my 755. I have to say though, that I'd drop the 755 in a second if Sprint offered the same phone with these two missing features. I really feel shortchanged when I compare the phone's cost vs features with that of the KRZR.

Sorry, if I rambled on too long

As I always say," that's my opinion, I could be wrong."

GeneL
    GeneL, I would enjoy having those as well in my 755p. One thing I notice about GPS, however, is how rarely I actually need it. I suspect it's one of those things that most people "want" but rarely ever "need". For instance, most of my days are spent coming and going from essentially the same places. I don't need a GPS to find the grocery store I realize there are some in a variety of professions who travel and drive a lot to new and unfamiliar places. I could imagine they might really appreciate having GPS in their Treo. I would say that 9/10 people I've met who have GSP technology barely use. More of a novelty. I'm the same way and so although I'd like it, I can more than live without it... it only becomes one more thing for me to rag on my great new 755p about in the "shortcomings" column

Voice dialing is another story. Almost everyone I know that has this feature in their phone prefers to use it. It's a safety feature in our fast paced world to be able to use your voice rather than have to look down at a phone if you're in a car (though some people would argue it's probably better to just keep your eyes on the road!) or anywhere else for that matter. It's a feature that's been fully functional in cell phone technology for nearly a decade. The lack of this in their handsets is, IMHO, a glaring oversight. I could actually imagine new users steering toward a different product, particularly if they aren't invested in Palm software like I am, because this feature is missing. The notion of using the included voice command software at a raping of $6 or $7/month is, to me, so ludicrous that I won't comment further. It's almost more of an insult that they included this software thinking people would pay that kind of money for functionality built into every other phone Sprint offers... better to just leave it out and have people wonder End: my 2 cents.
  3.    #3  
    talkin73, I certainly agree with your points. I think we'd find wide dissatisfaction among Treo owners regarding the lack of voice dial implementation in lieu of paying a hefty $6/mo for the feature. As I mentioned, I made a valiant effort to utilize the Palm offered Voice Dial application, but continually ran into problems with it. What makes it even more upsetting is that my S/O's KRZR indicates that it is using the same basic software from VoiceSignal and it works perfectly on her phone.

As far as GPS usage, I agree that ordinarily getting from one commonly visited place to another doesn't require GPS assistance, but in cases where traffic congestion has snarled the usual route, GPS traffic assistance would be welcome as would direction to places not previously visited. While, GPS is often not an absolute necessity, its inclusion on an expensive "smart phone" should be a no-brainer. I feel very short changed without these widely included contemporary features.

I'd like to think that a strong expression of customer complaints would somehow get Sprint to do something about the voice dialing situation, particularly because of the safety issue. Unfortunately, based on the large number of complaints that were voiced about the 700P and viewing Sprint and Palm's lack of response to their customers' unhappiness, I'm not optimistic about getting a positive result.

What do you think? Is it worth pursuing?

GeneL
    I'd think Google Maps does everything you'd need. Perhaps not the GPS piece, but the features you said you wanted are there.
    You should have a shortcut for "Get Nuance" - download it and use it to take care of the voice dialing issue - just discovered that one today myself, and even sent my GF an SMS message using voice - very cool Just press the small side button, wait for the beep and say things like "call Joe" or "new meeting 6/25 9:00am with Alice" and it'll enter a new meeting for you in the calendar. http://mobilevoicecontrol.com/

I haven't looked into GPS at all for the 755p - don't think I'd use it much if at all. Is there no GPS available on it? No built-in receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneL View Post

My random thoughts have been, why the "blank" doesn't this latest model, top of the line smart phone have voice dialing and GPS when the Motorola KRZR K1m that I got for my S/O, which is a fraction of the size of the 755 has both of these significant features? It surely can't be a size issue if they can squeeze the technology into the tiny KRZR, can it?

Except for the omission of these highly desirable and widely available technologies, I'm very happy with my 755. I have to say though, that I'd drop the 755 in a second if Sprint offered the same phone with these two missing features. I really feel shortchanged when I compare the phone's cost vs features with that of the KRZR.

Sorry, if I rambled on too long

As I always say," that's my opinion, I could be wrong."

GeneL
    Last edited by Grim; 06/10/2007 at 12:28 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jweis View Post
    I'd think Google Maps does everything you'd need. Perhaps not the GPS piece, but the features you said you wanted are there.
    I looked at Google Maps and thought it was too unwieldy compared to the GPS system in the KRZR. (of course, that requires Telenav to function which is $$ a month)

I guess my mindset is based on having gotten into the Treo to replace carrying two devices (Sony Clie´and Motorola V600), so having to add a third device (a dedicated GPS) seems like a backward step. If the GPS were to be built in to the Treo all I'd need to do would be to add the proper software and I'd have a very useful function. Of course, most of you knew that already, right?

Just my opinion and as I always say. "I could be wrong."

Just saw your post, Grim. Perhaps, you're not aware that there is a monthly charge to use Nuance?
    Last edited by GeneL; 06/10/2007 at 12:10 AM. Reason: another post to answer
    I looked at Google Maps and thought it was too unwieldy compared to the GPS system in the KRZR. (of course, that requires Telenav to function which is $$ a month)

I guess my mindset is based on having gotten into the Treo to replace carrying two devices (Sony Clie´and Motorola V600), so having to add a third device (a dedicated GPS) seems like a backward step. If the GPS were to be built in to the Treo all I'd need to do would be to add the proper software and I'd have a very useful function. Of course, most of you knew that already, right?

Just my opinion and as I always say. "I could be wrong."

Just saw your post, Grim. Perhaps, you're not aware that there is a monthly charge to use Nuance?
    Gene, yes your description of times when GPS would be helpful does ring true for me as well. There are times it would help. I guess having the GPS feature would open up a whole realm of software... there are plenty of 3rd party GPS solutions to ADD to the Treo. But, as you mention, every device I have to carry around and handle adds to the aggravation factor. I have GPS in my Infiniti FX35 and just found I didn't use it much. Though, it wasn't all that good (no traffic updates or auto-rerouting and not very user-friendly, IMHO, overall). If my Treo could do those things without adding another device to it, that would be pretty cool. I don't have a clear idea of how much I'd use it, but I'd be willing to pay a bit more for the option.

As far as complaining to Sprint, not sure how much mileage you'll get. My sense was that Palm's eventual MR for the 700p was the result of some pretty aggressive complaining and data collection on the part of a few folks at treocentral. Though, I imagine the person spearheading that spent countless hours from the beginning til now and there still isn't a stable MR over a year after it's initial release. I guess I just don't have the desire to put that kind of energy into something like this... getting features added to the Treo. I'd rather spend my time elsewhere. But, the "squeaky wheel" often does get the grease, for better or worse
  8.    #8  
    Hey, talkin73!

I'm of the same mindset as you. I don't have any expectation of getting either Palm or Sprint to do anything about the GPS part, but that's Palm's loss. When other smart phone manufacturers offer features like GPS and voice dialing with Bluetooth 2.0 and Palm doesn't, I imagine their sales will be affected.

It seems like a slap in the face to their loyal fans not to have included these widely available features in their latest models.

I have to say that Palm is not a very inspiring player with its Foleo device in contrast to the iPhone. I just don't get their thinking when my own idea for buying a Treo was to get rid of the "second" device.

Oh well, perhaps enough customer complaints about the lack of an included "free" voice dialing capability, which is a safety issue, could get some action from Sprint.

I think this is a legitimate issue to go after, but who will carry the ball on this is another matter.

Perhaps, starting a thread will light the match?
    Hey, talkin73!

Perhaps, starting a thread will light the match?
    Go for it! I'm sure there's plenty of folks who would like additional features as well who'd chime with suggestions and let their voice be heard. One thing I continue to think about is feasibility of not only packing all the features into the smartphone, but getting them to work well together. A colleague showed me their Sprint 6600, I think it was. The sliding sideways keyboard design. It was a cool design, but not practical for me... turning sideways and sliding open during a call seemed like more than I wanted to manage. The Treo is so elegantly designed. For all the detractors, I haven't handled a smartphone that seemed as usable. Anyway, she was trying to show me the wifi and bluetooth and things just weren't working right. She was really excited when she first got it. I remember thinking, "why can't they put wifi in my Treo?" kinda feeling frustrated. As the weeks went on, her excitement waned as she found the wireless services conflicting with one another and causing various problems. She just started talking about the smartphone like it wasn't as usable as she thought it would be. She didn't have much in the way of third party apps, so I'm guessing it was a design problem. She didn't have an early model either... just didn't seem to work well together. My Treos (600>650>700p>755p) have all had their shortcomings, to be sure. But, I find it generally works well... though bluetooth on the 700p was sketchy at best, but fixed perfectly on the 755p. I don't mean be an apologist for Palm. It's just that after seeing it all together and not working well on some other platforms makes me wonder.

I saw you mention your Motorola had the GPS, which sounds cool! But, I'm guessing this wasn't a Windows smartphone or anything, correct? Just a really cool phone with that being one of it's great features? I'm not that schooled in the whole area of what can really be packed in a smartphone technology-wise and actually work or not. For me, though, having the Palm OS with all my medical texts, bible, notes, usernames and passwords, car maintenance logs, photos, mp3s, movies, phone, email and wireless web in one is most of what I need. I'll definitely upgrade for the GPS or as they add other useful new features. If you get a petition going for new features, I'll be right in line to sign it!