1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I just moved to Hong Kong from the states and all these foreigners are using wifi like we use instant messaging. This city is loaded with hotspots, everyone uses their regular old cellphone (with wifi capabilities) and Skype loaded on to talk all over the world for free. Am I missing something in the states? Are we doing this regularly in our cities? I live in rural Florida so perhaps I'm out of the wifi loop. Does the Treo 650 have wifi capability or can software be added to give it the feature? BTW, electronics are not much cheaper here than home but I've only been here a week. Further shopping forthcoming.

Thank all,
    Phil
    No, the Treo 650 sucks, it does not have WiFi.

And just a hint... They aren't foreigners, they live there.
    The only way to Wi-Fi on the Treo 650 is the Enfora Wi-Fi sled which has been discontinued. You may still grab one if you're lucky. But it only operates on 802.11b with WEP. The Wi-Fi scanning utility on it was very basic. Even my Zire 71's Wi-Fi card gives me more info on networks than what's provided with the Enfora Wi-Fi sled.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    Very few cell phones in the US have wifi. I hope in the future that will change. I know that the well celebrated iPhone will have it and a new version of the Blackberry will also have it. Palm better get off their rears and release one that has it or I may be looking at other phones in the near future.

Thanks for hearing about the Enfora wifi sled. I have thought about getting one, but it seems my 650 is on its last legs....
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    No, the Treo 650 sucks, it does not have WiFi.

And just a hint... They aren't foreigners, they live there.
    Are you living in the USA?

Phil
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpotts View Post
    Are you living in the USA?

Phil
    Why, afraid you're talking to a foreigner?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Why, afraid you're talking to a foreigner?
    Silly question, since I am living in Hong Kong. No, my point is I was assuming most people I am talking to on this forum are Americans. You have pointed out that I should not assume that though.

Phil
    See my post here http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=145710

I figured out how to access my home internet using a bluetooth connection on my laptop. It's fast but you can only access it at home. If you need to update software, or run an app that needs internet access, this will make it very easy. Now I don't think I need WiFi anymore. I got WolrdMate, Express, GoogleMap getting the data from my LAN connection through BlueTooth and it's fast.

Basically, you can get highspeed internet access anywhere that has a laptop or PC with internet and bluetooth.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by nutech View Post
    See my post here http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=145710

I figured out how to access my home internet using a bluetooth connection on my laptop. It's fast but you can only access it at home. If you need to update software, or run an app that needs internet access, this will make it very easy. Now I don't think I need WiFi anymore. I got WolrdMate, Express, GoogleMap getting the data from my LAN connection through BlueTooth and it's fast.

Basically, you can get highspeed internet access anywhere that has a laptop or PC with internet and bluetooth.
    That is quite cool nutech and kudos for you effort. This is not the features the locals have here though. They have wifi-enabled cellphones which many people are using with VoIP (i.e. Skype) to talk to anyone in the world for free or pennies per minute. Why are we not doing this in mass in the USA? Telecom greed? They want us to pay for the minutes? I'm in the dark on this one.

Phil
    I think that when wifi becomes even more prevalent, you will see more Americans using VOIP on their cellphones(Skype). If this regard, we are truly "behind the times". Hopefully, we will catch up or close the gap at some point in the near future. Having more cellphones with wifi will help this.