Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I think I have become more familiar with Treo launcher now, but I'm missing something very important. A wallpaper... Anybody has a good Transformers wallpaper to share?

Al
  2.    #22  
    This is what I've made from this site:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/1673

Al
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Isn't the ability to launch apps with one key built into the OS by using favorites from the phone screen?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Treolo,
    If you scour through the posts is the treolauncher thread, someone did post two transformer WP's. you might find them by doing a search on Transformer.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Typing this on my Treo so I won't go into detail, but if all you do is install TreoLauncher and run as is you're missing out on quite a bit of its configurability. Play around with its preferences a bit and other options under the Color and Toggle drop down menus..
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
  6.    #26  
    Been a Transformers geek I went over 40 pages looking for the Transformers wallpaper and found it. The wallpaper looked cool, but had stuff that need to be fixed.
    -The toolbar was off both hight and length.
    -The the Transformers planet was too high.
    -The autobot symbol was a bit high.

So after playing with Paint, saving as bmp and converting to jpg in AcdSee (works better this way) I got the wallpaper I was looking for.

Al
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm not into Transformers so I never did look at them on the phone, glad you were able to find and fix them.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Typing this on my Treo so I won't go into detail, but if all you do is install TreoLauncher and run as is you're missing out on quite a bit of its configurability. Play around with its preferences a bit and other options under the Color and Toggle drop down menus..
    I did, and there really isn't much to this app at all. It is pretty fast, but that's because there really isn't much there. Less than the default launcher even. You can't tell if there are more things in a category than what you see, you lose access to beam, send, info all the file management stuff. I guess if you need a background image and that's *all* and that little calendar I guess. For the recent items it is better to hold down the Hoime key, you can access that from any app, in this case you need to go to the launcher then go to the app.

It really is a very limited application. If it were freeware or $5 I guess I could see some point, but @ $13 it isn't a good value IMO. But if you guys like it then great.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    Isn't the ability to launch apps with one key built into the OS by using favorites from the phone screen?
    Yeah, but then you need to be in the Phone application for that to work. Type Right lets you do that from anywhere. You also can launch DAs, dial numbers or send emails, access system options like turning the phone off and on. Multiple apps can be assigned to one key so you could have a popup list of your five most called numbers and select them from that key, or you could set all your forum websites to one key and be able to get a popup list of those sites by holding down that key. Each key essentially can be a mini launcher with only the things you want in the list. I used to use 123 Launch and this takes that concept and expands so much on it, and is faster too. The possibilities are enormous. The fact that you don't have to go back to a conventional launcher to switch apps is a huge timesaver. I registered it last night after confirming its stability. It is a HUGE improvement and really, really handy. And at $9 it is a steal.
    Treo Launcher works just fine for me. I tried Z Launcher, but it just eat up the memory. And was too cumbersome.
    Matty
  11.    #31  
    braj,

I see your point and I can see myself using Type Right
    http://standalone.com/palmos/type_ri...pe_right_2.gif

But it doesn't seem to be a aesthetic solution. No wallpaper, no toolbar, and nothing to get too excited about. However, it seems to have great functionality. Don't get me wrong, but it is probably more of a different taste thing.
    http://palmgadget.com/image/lnchr_last_10.gif

Al
    Last edited by TreoRock; 06/10/2007 at 04:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    I did, and there really isn't much to this app at all. It is pretty fast, but that's because there really isn't much there. Less than the default launcher even. You can't tell if there are more things in a category than what you see, you lose access to beam, send, info all the file management stuff. I guess if you need a background image and that's *all* and that little calendar I guess. For the recent items it is better to hold down the Hoime key, you can access that from any app, in this case you need to go to the launcher then go to the app.

It really is a very limited application. If it were freeware or $5 I guess I could see some point, but @ $13 it isn't a good value IMO. But if you guys like it then great.
    I think you are missing the point of Treolo's intentions on starting this thread. Taking cost out of the equation, he spefically stated he wanted something "light". TreoLauncher is the perfect "light" launcher with plenty more configurable options over the default launcher, and it doesn't take up a lot of space nor bog down the system. I don't know about other posters here, but I never use the Beam, Send, or Info options of the built in launcher. I am definately not trying to start a flame here, but you have grossely misdefined TreoLauncher and and it's many configuration options. A simple "It doesn't meet my needs" would have sufficed.
    As far as not being able to tell if there are more apps in a category or not, all I have to say is if you don't know what apps you have installed and what category you've place them in then you have other problems beyond using a launcher.
    Now if Treolo wants something more than a simple "light" launcher, then yes, he might want to look elsewhere.
    Last edited by NachoB; 06/10/2007 at 05:52 PM.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    As far as not being able to tell if there are more apps in a category or not, all I have to say is if you don't know what apps you have installed and what category you've place them in then you have other problems beyond using a launcher.
    Mylauncher is where I manage myapps, and it should be clear in looking at it what apps are available to launch. There is no visual clue as to what may be in the category. This is a usability issue. I work in software QA and I would log this up as a bug. Now you may disagree and try and say I have some 'other problems' all you want . I was just stating that if you use this launcher, sure it won't bog down the system but what is the benefit for your money? Definitely not much.

As for not bogging down the system, giving additional functionality, and being worth the price, Type Right sure wins there. It is way more efficient, isn't huge for a modern Palm app, and I haven't seen any performance hit yet.

Treolo is right when he/she says, that if what you are looking for is an aesthetic update then Treo Launcher is an option. But then I'd say Zlauncher sure as hell is a better aesthetic upgrade so if that's what you are after there are much better alternatives for the money.
    (but definitely not easy to configure, there is so much you can do so there are lots of options).

MegaLauncher is a nice alternative to both though, a good all around compromise with a good price, long feature set, speed and stability. It has several themes to choose from and the UI is easily customized. The learning curve is very small and I find it a very intuitive app. Any jpg can be used as a background, any size, so basically it has the core TreoLauncher functionality covered, plus it has a new Today screen in case you feel like you are missing by not having that tiny calendar. Add to that the ability to browse FTP sites, networks, the image, music and Reader managers, the backup utility, ability to archive from the app and a trash manager, you really get your money's worth. The developer is very responsive and it is regularly updated. Free upgrades for the life of the app as well. When I need to get into my launcher I have lots of power available to me, but I don't need to use it if I don't want.

But then, if you do like the look of Treo Launcher, $13 doesn't mean much to you, and it otherwise meets all of your needs aesthetically, then I would suggest you supplement it with something like Type Right or Hi Launcher.
    Wish they had more screenshots of MegaLauncher. The one they do have of the launcher portion looks way too cluttered for what I want a launcher to look like.
    For most of it's other built in functionalities I use Resco Explorer.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Wish they had more screenshots of MegaLauncher. The one they do have of the launcher portion looks way too cluttered for what I want a launcher to look like.
    For most of it's other built in functionalities I use Resco Explorer.
    Yeah, they don't exactly show their app in the best light with their screenshots, but neither does Zlauncher. I'd take some screens but it's not my job to market their product. Nearly everything in the interface can be tweaked: you can change the font size and colors, icon sizes, columns and rows, show or hide different elements. Beyond not being able to hide the category bar everything else is really open. Not as much as Zlauncher but then it is much more friendly to manage.
    I installed and was going to try Initiate 3 beta about 2 weeks ago, but there was so much to configure and I just wasn't in the mood. It can be configured similar to what TreoLauncher does with the icons using the left 3/4's of the screen so my WP's could still be used. I may look into it again when I feel like spending an hour or so configuring it.

http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/initiate-III-beta.php

Palm Pre wallpapers
  17.    #37  
    Zlauncher is the best launcher for PDAs. I used it for years until I got my Treo where it just lagged too much. So here I'm know enjoying Treo Launcher.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Zlauncher is the best launcher for PDAs. I used it for years until I got my Treo where it just lagged too much. So here I'm know enjoying Treo Launcher.
    Yeah, I first installed Zlauncher when I got my 680 and immediately didn't want to fuss with setting it up, and it doesn't seem best suited to a Treo. So I went back to MegaLauncher after years away.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Great Post. I am looking for a Simple, Intuitive, Elegant, yet Powerful Launcher that works Great on my Treo 755p. Needs to run programs from my card, but not be bloated, it needs to very easy to use, Intuitive, that is why I have a Treo, its simplicity.

Now, I have used Zlauncher in the past (but not last 6 months with 700p, have not installed it on my 755p), I used it for about a year and have it mastered well, but it is just to bloated for my needs, I want a launcher that is simple elegant and very intuitive (simple but powerful), this is what made me switch to Palm from WM in the first place. Zlauncher for my Treo in the end was to much for my tastes, just IMO, still a very good product do not get me wrong! Any recommendations for a Launcher?

All I have ever used was the Standard Palm Launcher and ZLauncher, I added that because everyone said that was the greatest out there and nothing else was close, and it just might be the absolute best but IMO it is to bloated and just not for my needs.

So what out there comes closes to describing what I want? Treo Launcher, Launcher X, Initate?
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827 View Post
    Great Post. I am looking for a Simple, Intuitive, Elegant, yet Powerful Launcher that works Great on my Treo 755p. Needs to run programs from my card, but not be bloated, it needs to very easy to use, Intuitive, that is why I have a Treo, its simplicity.

Now, I have used Zlauncher in the past (but not last 6 months with 700p, have not installed it on my 755p), I used it for about a year and have it mastered well, but it is just to bloated for my needs, I want a launcher that is simple elegant and very intuitive (simple but powerful), this is what made me switch to Palm from WM in the first place. Zlauncher for my Treo in the end was to much for my tastes, just IMO, still a very good product do not get me wrong! Any recommendations for a Launcher?

All I have ever used was the Standard Palm Launcher and ZLauncher, I added that because everyone said that was the greatest out there and nothing else was close, and it just might be the absolute best but IMO it is to bloated and just not for my needs.

So what out there comes closes to describing what I want? Treo Launcher, Launcher X, Initate?
    Try MegaLauncher, it will definitely be easier to handle than Zlauncher, faster as well, but you will still have lots of power user options if you want them.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast