1.    #1  
    Has anyone managed to successfully sync their Treo's with thunderbird and lighting/sunbird?
    Yes, but it seems to be ridiculously complicated.

For the address book, you need the Palmsync extension. Despite its name, it syncs only the address book, not the calendar. And the version for TB 2.0 is still in beta. Go to this thread and PM wsm. He's one of the developers, and can send you the latest version of what they're working on.

For the calendar, you'll need to save your data as an .ics file. If you're not on a Mac, you'll probably have to upload the file to something on the web, and sync it from there. I've had luck using a variant of this system with Airset. Others have used other online calendars, but I've never gotten them to work.

I haven't even tried getting the to-do list to sync, as I don't use it that much.

I gather that it's much easier on a Mac, as Missing Sync (?) supports .ics files directly. But until Palm starts supporting calendar and datebook file format standards, or until somebody writes a conduit for Sunbird/Lightning, this is the best I've been able to do. And that's after months of research -- so if anybody knows a better way, let us know!
  3.    #3  
    Hmmm... what about syncing Palm Desktop with lightning?
    I don't think you can, directly. The problem is that Palm Desktop's file formats are proprietary, and its export tools (like the rest of the program) are ancient. It doesn't export .ics files, just .vcs, and as far as I know, there's no way to convert them easily or automatically.

If you don't mind using a proprietary format, I'd go with something like Time & Chaos, which is much slicker and has its own conduits (ChaosSync for Palm). The only reason I stopped using this program is that my office standardized on open formats that work on both PC and Mac, and T&C is Windows-only.

If you go for T&C, try version 6 rather than 7, because apparently 7 only supports CompanionLink ($50) which is double the cost of their previous sync software.
    Quote Originally Posted by chcswa View Post
    I don't think you can, directly. The problem is that Palm Desktop's file formats are proprietary, and its export tools (like the rest of the program) are ancient. It doesn't export .ics files, just .vcs, and as far as I know, there's no way to convert them easily or automatically.
    I'm working on a solution for Thunderbird (Contacts) and Sunbird/Lightning (Appointments).
    As you may know there is an Freeware application named FinchSync (http://www.finchsync.com/) available.
    It's a Java-based server component + a .NET based client component.

I'm currently reimplementing the client based on SuperWaba (Java-like language) with some help of the FinchSync author. As SuperWaba is available on almost any device (except Blackberry...work in progress), this could be a solution for most people using the above Mozilla products.

The GUI of the FinchSyncSW Client is already mostly finished and I'm now moving to the communication stuff.
    While the progress was rather fast so far, I'm currently not getting forward as I need to focus on my final year project at the moment.
    I've also a small connection problem that I need to solve. The basic authentification does already work, but then the connection dies.

If you might want to see how the project looks so far you can go here:
    http://www.juergen-ulbts.de/content/.../index.de.html

Click on the flag in the top right corner to switch between german and english.

Once I fix the little communication problem I'll release a small test app to get some feedback on which devices it works so far.
    Juergen
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chcswa View Post
    Yes, but it seems to be ridiculously complicated.
    You're not kidding!

If by any chance all you want to do is get the email addresses from your Palm into TB (or vice-versa) you can do this using the .csv export/import facilities of TB & Palm Desktop of course.

As I've said before, I'd love Palm to drop Palm Desktop and support the Mozilla equivalents instead for those of us who don't use Outlook. Surely it would save them money too?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by magog96 View Post
    I'm working on a solution for Thunderbird (Contacts) and Sunbird/Lightning (Appointments).
    Do you have a mailing list or forum I can monitor to track progress. I am quite interested.

Dave
    I use a google calendar setup in lightning and goosync to sync for the calendar. Works ok but you have to pay for the premium service.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I'm surprised no one's written anything to do something like this....

On Macs, you have The Missing Sync which syncs great with Apple's native apps along with many Palm apps. I'm not sure about it syncing with Thunderbird/Sunbird.

I think it may be that everyone's trying to write something to go into Palm Desktop, rather than writing a stand alone app. Could be something with Thunderbird/Sunbird also.
    Hi Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    Do you have a mailing list or forum I can monitor to track progress. I am quite interested.

Dave
    Sorry, I don't have a mailing list but you could...
    1.) send a personal message (see contact at my website) and I'll inform you if I have something to test
    2.) use a website monitoring service to track any changes.

I hope to fix the small communication problem this month but as I said I'm busy getting my university degree.
    Juergen
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    I use a google calendar setup in lightning and goosync to sync for the calendar. Works ok but you have to pay for the premium service.
    There is gcalsync available which should also run on Palm Treo devices. I've not tried the latest version.

Official but outdated project home (seems to be project at google now):
    http://www.gcalsync.com/

GCalSync at Google:
    http://code.google.com/p/gadjet/
    Juergen
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by magog96 View Post
    As you may know there is an Freeware application named FinchSync (http://www.finchsync.com/) available.
    It's a Java-based server component + a .NET based client component.

I'm currently reimplementing the client based on SuperWaba (Java-like language) with some help of the FinchSync author. As SuperWaba is available on almost any device (except Blackberry...work in progress), this could be a solution for most people using the above Mozilla products.

The GUI of the FinchSyncSW Client is already mostly finished and I'm now moving to the communication stuff.
    While the progress was rather fast so far, I'm currently not getting forward as I need to focus on my final year project at the moment.
    I've also a small connection problem that I need to solve. The basic authentification does already work, but then the connection dies.

If you might want to see how the project looks so far you can go here:
    http://www.juergen-ulbts.de/content/.../index.de.html

Click on the flag in the top right corner to switch between german and english.

Once I fix the little communication problem I'll release a small test app to get some feedback on which devices it works so far.
    This is looking really interesting. When I was looking for options to sync my Treo 680 with Thunderbird I couldn't find a very nice solution. I knew FinchSync worked with WM devices, but I didn't know you were working on a PalmOS solution as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
    This is looking really interesting. When I was looking for options to sync my Treo 680 with Thunderbird I couldn't find a very nice solution. I knew FinchSync worked with WM devices, but I didn't know you were working on a PalmOS solution as well.
    Hi!

There hasn't been any progress within the last 7 weeks as I'm currently busy with my final year project/thesis or what it's called in your country.
    I still have the socket issue with my current version but I still hope I can get around that.

The reports I got back from the people that did test the current version were good (testing only GUI stuff on different devices).

Before my Client will be ready to work with it takes some time as I currently don't know when I have time to continue the programming work.

If you don't hate Google and trust them you might want to use GooSync to Sync your Appointments with the Google Calendar.
    Juergen