Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    trying to pick a email program. basically it appears that chatter or snapper are the best (other suggestions are welcome). but which one is better and why?

i need to check IMAP4 server and several pop accounts. I would like a simple junk filter and a spell checker if possible.

any help or suggestions are appreciated.
    I'd vote for Chatter. The junk filter should be handled by your mail providers and for a spell check, look at LexSpell. I don't know of any Palm e-mail clients that have built-in spell check and you can use LexSpell in any application.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ^ My vote would be for Chatter as well.

I know of no email applications for PalmOS that have built-in spell check, but I've used LexSpell in the past with Chatter and it works quite well.
    I'm a ChatterEmail users and I stopped using LexSpell on my 700p because it would make the whole system slow and unstable. I'm not using a 755p and so far it seems better. It still takes a bit of time to search. Do you guys want to share your LexSpell settings?

Al
  5.    #5  
    thanks for the feedback. what is better in chatter that is not in snapper?
    Bunches. I have licenses for both and use ChatterEmail exclusively.

A couple of items: background operation, immediate storage to the card, more overall customization.

Ben
  7.    #7  
    I tried chatter today and i dont like it. i like snapper, better 5-way suppport, better delete function, easier to manually check email (i dont plan on it running the the background). Lexis works well. I will go with snapper
    896 Posts
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    I believe Snapper charges $60 for it's IMAP version while Snapper charges $38 for a much more complete program. Just my 2 cents.
    I bought and use Chatter + Exchange Plugin.

However, it is interesting to note that Jeff Hawkins uses Snapper.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    It's been a while since I tried snapper but I seem to recall that snapper did not have a summary view showing emails from all the configured accounts. I don't want to have to switch to each account to see my emails. Maybe this is not the case with Snapper anymore, but I'm more than happy with chatter so why switch.
    Last edited by NachoB; 06/10/2007 at 05:58 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    When the summary view came out, I tried and went to the normal view. A second visiting was done and for about 9 months it has been the summary view. A great way to look around.

Ben
    Snapper was the best email client for a long time and a long time ago too. It was just awesome, but just like all good things its magic gradually drifted away... How? Well, I started getting corrupted databases which made me lose lots of emails. I was told somehow it happens sometimes. Then, found Chatter and hated the interface. It was buggy, the interface was crappy and setting up emails was just a pain. However, I really liked the idea of push email and making my Treo a Blackberry. So, I beta tested a lot of versions of Chatter until after all that work we finally have what we use today. An awesome email application..!!! I can't see myself using anything other than Chatteremail and that is one of the reasons I don't need anything other than my Treo.

Al
    When I send an email using Snapper from my Sprint Treo 700p (I use sprint's outgoing server) some recipients get the following message:
    xxxx@sprintpcs.com; on behalf of; xxxxx [xxx@cox.net]

If using Chatter, would recipients still receive the same as above or will it show a clean xxx@cox.net without mentioning sprint?

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I think it all comes down to push e-mail. If you want/need it, Snapper won't do it. Then your choices are only Versamail and Chatter. Chatter can see all your folders and sync them, I don't beleive Versamail can do that.

Finally, someone mentioned Chatter is $60. It is $40 for the entire package. There is a free EX plugin that is no longer supported by allows you to sync if you have Outlook Web Access and not IMAP.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    When I send an email using Snapper from my Sprint Treo 700p (I use sprint's outgoing server) some recipients get the following message:
    xxxx@sprintpcs.com; on behalf of; xxxxx [xxx@cox.net]

If using Chatter, would recipients still receive the same as above or will it show a clean xxx@cox.net without mentioning sprint?

TIA
    Anyone?
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    I have both Snappermail Enterprise and ChatterEmail. At first I liked Snappermail when I first got my Treo 650. But gradually, Snapper gave me lots of grief by having corrupted emails that deleted entire messages. This problem happened over and over again on both my old 650 and 700 models. I started using Chatteremail as an alternative and have found this to be superior to Snapper. Push email is soooooooo useful that I can no longer do without it! The only thing I like Snapper better than Chatter is Snapper's ability to handle attachments. I like Snapper's ability to download file attachments better. This is not to say that Chatter cannot handle attachments, it can, but I just prefer Snapper's method better. All in all, I've been happy with ChatterEmail for quite some time now. Nowadays, Chatter works equally well with my new 755p too.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    TurboTiger,
    That is most likely something the mail server is doing and has nothing to do with whether you are using Chatter or Snapper.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    NochoB,
    Tks for the explanation.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    If your company uses exchange, then Snapper is the way to go. Or VM. When I tried out chatter, it had no push, no lookup of global address book, it only would show pictures. I have not tried Snapper(cost prohibited) but from what I have been told: syncing of subfolders, global address lookup, push, everthing Chatter does not have.
    Matty
    I would clarify that to say that the only thing chatter doesn't do with Exchange is global address lookup. Subfolders, push, and everthing else works just fine with Chatter on Exchange. I use it daily and am quite pleased with it.

If Exchange is your primary game, you might consider using EAS via VersaMail, too. In my case, I find VersaMail so abhorrent as a mail client that I won't use it unless absolutely necessary. I *do*, however, use it for PIM activesync with Exchange... right along side Chatter doing Exchange push. Works like a charm.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast