Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Folks,

    So I did the MR -- it didn't take the USB way, so I then did the SD method, and it is updated. 3 hours total.

    Now:

    1) As many have confirmed, the phone now emits sounds when in silent mode from the earpiece. Quiet, but it can be heard in meetings and is totally annoying.

    2) My lags in starting blazer and the "white screen of stall" are still there.

    3) Battery life is worse.

    4) Phone crashes more often -- and dialing ##377 to figure out what caused it doesn't work (it still reports a reset for me from before I installed the update).

    5) No comments about BT -- I haven't tried it yet.

    6) Nothing seems better or fixed.

    I am totally disappointed and the tones / noise thing when it is silent is a major drawback.

    I can't believe Palm released this. Monkeys could have QA'd this better than Palm. Both times the update took over an hour, when it suggested far less for the USB update.

    Do Palm employees still use this device and did they test it? Maybe they are all using Folio devices now and hold that strange thing up to their head as cell phones?

    Palm needs a senior management change if they want to survive. This is absolutely pathetic.

    Glenn
  2. #2  
    Different people are getting different results as well as different methods.

    1) My phone does not emit sounds when in silent mode from the earpiece.

    2) No lags in starting blazer and no "white screen of stall."

    3) Battery life has increased impressively.

    4) Phone has crashed once -- and dialing ##377 to figure out what caused it and it was a fatal error relating to application.

    5) BT has been alot better with more clarity and it stays connected.

    6) A fair amount seems better or fixed.

    One thing I did different with the SD method is I didn't hard reset my device before starting the update and my update only took 15 minutes and afterward I backed everything up with RescoBacup. I loaded the update the way my device was...no hard reset. Not saying it is better but my 700 has been performing like a dream machine and I have many apps and am somewhat a moderate to power user.
    at&t iPhone3G
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    4) Phone has crashed once -- and dialing ##377 to figure out what caused it and it was a fatal error relating to application.
    Did it say what caused it? What was the date?

    I am sure my phone took the update based on what is posted here and the fact that I did it USB and then SD to be sure. I show Sprint 1.10 and checked the other app version numbers.

    When I dial ##377 it lists the last crash as 5/17/07 at 9:14 am while running "Date & Time". This was well before the update and it has reset several times since the update.

    Now I don't even know what application is causing the resets????

    Glenn
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler View Post
    Folks,

    So I did the MR -- it didn't take the USB way, so I then did the SD method, and it is updated. 3 hours total.

    Now:

    1) As many have confirmed, the phone now emits sounds when in silent mode from the earpiece. Quiet, but it can be heard in meetings and is totally annoying.

    2) My lags in starting blazer and the "white screen of stall" are still there.

    3) Battery life is worse.

    4) Phone crashes more often -- and dialing ##377 to figure out what caused it doesn't work (it still reports a reset for me from before I installed the update).

    5) No comments about BT -- I haven't tried it yet.

    6) Nothing seems better or fixed.

    I am totally disappointed and the tones / noise thing when it is silent is a major drawback.

    I can't believe Palm released this. Monkeys could have QA'd this better than Palm. Both times the update took over an hour, when it suggested far less for the USB update.

    Do Palm employees still use this device and did they test it? Maybe they are all using Folio devices now and hold that strange thing up to their head as cell phones?

    Palm needs a senior management change if they want to survive. This is absolutely pathetic.

    Glenn
    All,

    Like the others here, I have heard the sound emitted as well and it appears to come from the phone earpiece particularly with a reset. Like the others, the speaker is muted. Also like the others, it is very audible in a quiet room.

    Blazer is noticeably faster and there is no white screen for me except for momentarily but it lasts perhaps a second.

    Have had NO crashes yet except at the very end of a hotsync after the finish screen appears. In normal usage no crashes to date.

    Bluetooth is still problematic. I use the Nokia headset and was doing well except for range. Now, following the MR, Bluetooth signs on quickly with no lag and I get the connection icon on the screen. BUT, when I try to use the phone there is still no sound from the BT headset and all sound comes from the phone speaker. I usually have to reset the phone and then the BT headset works properly. Now I am getting spontaneous drops in BT when it is idle which never happened before. I have deleted the BT headset profile multiple times and restarted afterward and built a fresh profile but the results are the same. I am disappointed.

    I seem to be seeing cache clearing via Reset Doctor. I have the threshold set to 10 meg and, on almost every application switch I see this. The total amount of RAM is 16.8 meg

    I agree that this was a very badly QA'd product. It appears that the only safe way was the SD card way which I used to upgrade. I have upgraded two 700P's like this and the problems appear to be the same.

    Regards,

    Jim
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler View Post
    Did it say what caused it? What was the date?

    I am sure my phone took the update based on what is posted here and the fact that I did it USB and then SD to be sure. I show Sprint 1.10 and checked the other app version numbers.

    When I dial ##377 it lists the last crash as 5/17/07 at 9:14 am while running "Date & Time". This was well before the update and it has reset several times since the update.

    Now I don't even know what application is causing the resets????

    Glenn
    Your guess is as good as mine...but it has only happened once, knock on woodl.

    http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...p-C28E9A0B.jpg
    at&t iPhone3G
  6. #6  
    My error log is "frozen" in time as well. Several resets, but no updated log.....

    Update: A crash while attempting to launch Resco News feed in Blazer now shows the current crash log. Interestingly, this isn't the first time this combo has crashed, but this is the first time this week the error log has updated.
    Last edited by egn; 06/08/2007 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Update
  7. spiVeyx's Avatar
    Posts
    573 Posts
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    #7  
    I guess I'm fortunate. I have only experienced mostly improvements since applying the MR.

    1) I no longer get lag while typing out emails and SMS's
    2) Application switching seems MUCH faster.
    3) My bluetooth issues seem to be resolved.

    Overall my 700p seems quite a bit more responsive.

    I have noticed some inconsistencies with tones and alert vibrations. My vibrator pulses differently and some of my tones don't seem to play all the way when an alarm is triggered.

    All in all, I'm pretty happy with the MR improvements.
  8. #8  
    I have the noise but is barely audible, as I said elsewhere is just a nuisance at this time.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Your guess is as good as mine...but it has only happened once, knock on woodl.

    http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...p-C28E9A0B.jpg
    my Treo shows the exact same date for the last crash, it has crashed a few times since then but it doesnt update, the only thing this MR has improved is now i can see the battery icon on my car display when i use the BT
  10. #10  
    I agree with Glenn, did ANYONE at Palm EVER perform QA or even a Beta of this product, whether initial release or update? I am amazed how pathetic Palm has been. They may have finally convinced me to jump ship...
  11. #11  
    I'm hearing the noises as well, but they are very faint.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Different people are getting different results as well as different methods.

    1) My phone does not emit sounds when in silent mode from the earpiece.

    2) No lags in starting blazer and no "white screen of stall."

    3) Battery life has increased impressively.

    4) Phone has crashed once -- and dialing ##377 to figure out what caused it and it was a fatal error relating to application.

    5) BT has been alot better with more clarity and it stays connected.

    6) A fair amount seems better or fixed.

    One thing I did different with the SD method is I didn't hard reset my device before starting the update and my update only took 15 minutes and afterward I backed everything up with RescoBacup. I loaded the update the way my device was...no hard reset. Not saying it is better but my 700 has been performing like a dream machine and I have many apps and am somewhat a moderate to power user.
    I'm "Malcolm in the Middle" on this one. While the MR didn't brick my phone, it didn't solve everything it was supposed to either. I did the MR via the usb method after I hard reseted my phone. No problems whatsoever with the update, I was done in 37 mins tops.
    My phone intermittenly emits sounds when in silent mode, this is annoying sometimes when I'm heavily using the phone. I still get the white screen when going to Blazer for about 5-15 seconds, but once Blazer gets going it actually seems a little faster. The phone overall seems to be a little snappier, but it could just be wishful thinking on my part. My battery life does seem to be better; i find myself charging alot less now after the MR. I am one of the few treo 700p owners that never had a problem with BT before, so i can't speak on the MR concerning BT; I use a jabra jx-10 and i never lost pairing and I cut BT on/off whenever I wanted without any problems (lucky?) . Overall nothing major with the update though.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

    http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
  13. #13  
    My install took about 15 minutes...

    1. Hard reset - Cleared everything
    2. SD method
    3. Re-installed apps one by one....clean start. No backups reloaded.

    Blazer is now blazingly fast. Default settings accompany the MR. Try playing with the sound settings to see if you can get the noise to go away.

    I was running uncache and Locker prior to th MR. The T700p was running quick and stable then too. - except for Blazer. Now I got every-ting. Ho hummm....what next?

    Which side of the fence are the monkeys at - I forget?
    Regards,

    2smart4phone
  14. KJ78's Avatar
    Posts
    838 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #14  
    I'm in the middle on the MR too. Lag is definitely down. I now get the no service tone in the headset when I am out of range of a tower. I can't hear it without a headset on though. Hell, I can barely hear any sounds from the phone now. The volume seems to be turned down overall even though I am using the same ringtones on volume level 7 like I was before the MR.

    On this note, this is my 3rd 700p. #'s 1 and 3 seemed to be too quiet while #2 was as loud as I expected.
  15. #15  
    Regarding the volume level, see this thead for the fix:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=145262

Posting Permissions