1.    #1  
    Hi, How y'all doing??

Hoping some of you can help me from your experience.

I am debating getting the treo 755p or the blackberry 8830.

One of my main needs for a PDA is to have my email delivered to me instantly. (or as close to it as possible)

Does the 755p deliver email right away or would I be better going with the blackberry for that?

Thanks.
    Need to know more, to be able to answer your question.

What type of email? Personal? Corporate? Both?

and what email do you use? POP? IMAP? Web mail? Do you know what those mean?

Lay it all out for us and the Treo dudes on this board will help you.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Johnnymac.

Just regular Gmail.

Thanks.
    You want a Blackberry, but the service costs much more to get a Blackberry data plan because you need Sprint's (or whomever) Blackberry server to monitor your Gmail account to provide the push capability.
  5.    #5  
    Would a program like chattermail achieve the same thing as a blackberry would?
    yes. chatteremail is the best sht on earth!!!
    Please pardon my ignorance...but Chattermail would push even my..say, yahoo mail? (I do have pop access to Yahoo with an upgraded yahoo account).
    "Push" only works with IMAP. POP you have to poll.

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by wazup View Post
    Hi, How y'all doing??

Hoping some of you can help me from your experience.

I am debating getting the treo 755p or the blackberry 8830.

One of my main needs for a PDA is to have my email delivered to me instantly. (or as close to it as possible)

Does the 755p deliver email right away or would I be better going with the blackberry for that?

Thanks.
    I won't use terms like "push" and "poll" (or should that have been "pull"? I dunno) but I can say that my Versamail application on the 755P gives me the option to check for new mail every x-minutes.

I've got mine set to check every fifteen minutes, M-F, 8am-5pm. Yes, it's THAT specific!

I hope that helps.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  10.    #10  
    Can anyone refer me to a good site that explains all this stuff for us newbies?

Push? Pull? Imap? Pop?

This stuff is chineese to me.
    Let me try the short version.

POP3 is a protocol that almost everything understands. It's somewhat less secure and less feature-rich than IMAP4, but it works.

With POP3, the mail program on your Treo, whichever you use, has to ask if you have new mail. You can set this up to happen on a schedule, or you can choose to do it manually.

Most IMAP4 implementations have a feature that lets the mail program hang out waiting for new mail with a perpetual connection. When there is new mail, the server tells the mail program that there's new mail, and your Treo then fetches the new mail.

While VersaMail, for example, can connect to a mail server using IMAP4, it doesn't implement this perpetual connection. So, you still have to check for new mail on a schedule or manually.

For the vast majority of people, that's ok. Few people actually need their email the instant it's delivered. In addition, constantly keeping the connection open uses more battery. Chatteremail will do this, and VersaMail will not.

So, unless you truly believe you have the same needs as the original poster, VersaMail will likely be just fine for you.

By the way, on the subject of Yahoo mail, you can't access it using VersaMail if you have a free Yahoo account. You have to pay them for the privilege. Of course you can always use the browser and Yahoo's mobile site to get your email.

Did that help?

Tom
    so just to clarify, chattermail will allow me to get that "push" feature using Gmail? or would i need to forward it to a different email that supports IMAP?
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcuasito View Post
    so just to clarify, chattermail will allow me to get that "push" feature using Gmail? or would i need to forward it to a different email that supports IMAP?
    Correct...you need to forward to an IMAP account. Look at fusemail.com - they have some very reasonable plans. I use them to host all of my personal email, which is forwarded from a pop3 account. I use Thunderbird to connect to email at home, Chatter from the 755p, and Fusemail's webmail portal is more than adequate. Once you get set up with an IMAP email account (which can host all of your sub-folders) you'll never go back. I have 100+ sub-folders and I can file from my inbox to any of these folders.
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    As a note, IMAP PUSH on my Treo 700p is faster than the three Blackberries used by co-workers. Ben