1.    #1  
    I think there were multiple manufacturers in the process of making all the 700p's. Is there any way to figure out where your specific phone was made and see if that has any bearing on the validity of your update or issues post-update?

Serial number, ESN DEC, ESN HEX??

I know my old phone (the one I bricked on the update) didn't have the sprint logo on the back battery cover. my new one does and the update took using the USB method.
    mine took it fine through USB and it doesn't have a sprint logo. I bought mine right when it came out too...
    The 700p was made in Hell.
    Matty
    LOL...

If that's the case then Hell needs to improve its QC... not all of the phones are equally evil.
    Although there might be differences in the hardware version like chipsets used in the 700p. One obvious difference could be the software installed on the devices. System utilities and other apps which hook into the Palm OS might be causing these conflicts updating the units. I believe Palm programmers must be either underpaid or not getting enough sleep to overlook such a common mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by matty032 View Post
    The 700p was made in Hell.
    Then Satan Looked directly into the camera and said..."How did he know???"
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cha0s View Post
    Although there might be differences in the hardware version like chipsets used in the 700p. One obvious difference could be the software installed on the devices. System utilities and other apps which hook into the Palm OS might be causing these conflicts updating the units. I believe Palm programmers must be either underpaid or not getting enough sleep to overlook such a common mistake.
    I did a hard-resest before I ran the updater, and I still got the reset cycle from hell. So I know it has to be more then just 3rd party software.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    I honestly believe the Treos were loaded with slightly different ROM images - I have absolutely no proof of this but I can't really explain how the same phone can behave so differently under similar conditions...talking about the 60+ phones in my company with virtually same software configurations.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    I was told that the stork brought mine. Did my wife lie to me?
    Like most companies, Palm strives to drive costs down. As more phones as made, more molds are cast, motherboards stamped out and LCD requested from various hardware dist. I heard the first batch of P's was made by Intech, but the W and Wx by HTC. Now regardless of model, I can swap parts in these two units all day long. The hardware is identical. Mics, keyboards and pads, earpieces. I've never had enough time to look or track part numbers but they get the job done, Only dif is the LCD. Doesn't work. (I know about the resolution) The contact is on the opposite side. It fits buts stays black as night.
    Last edited by Muffnician; 06/08/2007 at 01:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I honestly believe the Treos were loaded with slightly different ROM images - I have absolutely no proof of this but I can't really explain how the same phone can behave so differently under similar conditions...talking about the 60+ phones in my company with virtually same software configurations.
    I agree, there is an issue with the phone's ROM I beleive. Either how it was flashed originally, or the hardware being used (which I would imagine would be the same flash chip, but maybe it isn't). This would explain all of the weirdness up until now and it would also explain what we're seeing today as well as the fact that I honestly thing Palm didn't see this coming they always probably assumed until now that the issue was the user and not the hardware itself. Maybe the ROM's have different address spaces, I don't know but it would appear that on some phones, areas of the ROM that are supposed to be protected memory (like the carrier connection info) are being corrupted or wiped out entirely. On some phones it seems that the entire ROM image is suffering this corruption.