Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Hello! I'm trying to get my corporate e-mail on my 680. My company has OWA, however, it can only be accessed by a computer that is LAN connected or dialed into the company's network.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I out of luck accessing my e-mail on the 680 via OWA? I tried the Exchange Active sync method but my company uses a VPN so I haven't had any success there.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
    what type of vpn? there is software out there for vpn on the treo.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    what type of vpn? there is software out there for vpn on the treo.
    Good question, I can't answer that exactly. Was hoping to not get the corporate IT folks involved since they want everything on a Blackberry (and I would have to pay the $80/month Cingular BB data service fee out of my own pocket - no thanks). I know that when I login via my laptop I go through Nortel Networks Contivity VPN Client Monitor.

We also have a standalone application that we can install on our home PC however you have to have a token (or something similar to that) installed on the computer to get access. I remember looking into Chatter and someone had the same thing - his question was could he install the token onto his SD card and gain access but Chatter didn't support that.

Thanks for your help!
    ok, most IT groups that use the contivity run an IPSEC vpn tunnel. It can do pptp, but it's not that secure and you wouldn't pay for a contivity to do pptp. That makes your choice limited. Check this out:

http://www.palm.com/us/wireless/vpn/

IPSEC is a little tricky, my guess is that you'll have to buy real Internet services from your carrier -- meaning your treo will need a routable IP address on the Internet not a 10.x.x.x IP address that most carriers use on their cheaper data plans.

Also the token part is tricky, if they are requiring software certificate tokens you may be out of luck. I only found this one product that supports rsa tokens:

https://www.bluefiresecurity.com/products/vpn/

Is your token by RSA?

give the download a try. let me know how it goes
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    ok, most IT groups that use the contivity run an IPSEC vpn tunnel. It can do pptp, but it's not that secure and you wouldn't pay for a contivity to do pptp. That makes your choice limited. Check this out:

http://www.palm.com/us/wireless/vpn/

IPSEC is a little tricky, my guess is that you'll have to buy real Internet services from your carrier -- meaning your treo will need a routable IP address on the Internet not a 10.x.x.x IP address that most carriers use on their cheaper data plans.

Also the token part is tricky, if they are requiring software certificate tokens you may be out of luck. I only found this one product that supports rsa tokens:

https://www.bluefiresecurity.com/products/vpn/

Is your token by RSA?

give the download a try. let me know how it goes

Hey thanks so much frantid - I appreciate your efforts. I think currently I cannot do the VPN thing as I'm using the Cingular MediaNet data plan ($19.99). I read somewhere in these forums that you need the upgraded plan to access VPN. I was hoping to avoid going to the PDA plan of $39.99. Particularly if this doesn't work - I doubt I'll be able to downgrade back to my $19.99 plan when they find out I have a Treo and not just some WAP enabled phone... I did read however that you could use the PDA plan via isp.cingular.com instead of wap.cingular.com (or something like that), but that you would pay a per use fee. Might be worth the try to see if it works and then if it does upgrade...

I did download the bluefire VPN and installed it - but I couldn't connect. I have tracked down some more info that may be helpful:

Security: ESP - Tripl DES, SHA
    IKE: Diffie-Hellman Group I
    Compression: LZS Compression
    IPSec NAT Traversal: Inactive
    Logging: Enabled

There are also destination and assigned IP Addresses.

Sorry, I goofed on the token - we used to use RSA tokens, but we no longer do that. I should've said that a digital certificate was required to be installed on our personal computers to access Outlook. It sure would be slick if I could install that certificate onto the 680...

Of course, all of these costs would still be less than the crazy $79.99/month cost for BB access. I'm not that far away from my laptop - just would be nice to have email on my 680.
    So their using a cert to encrypt your emails and digitally sign them or just a different cert for the ssl piece?

If it's to digitally sign, you may be out of luck -- I haven't looked very much for this but, I'm not sure it exists in palm OS form.

If it's for ssl, you can add the cert to your treo.

It might be easier to look for software that can relay from your laptop to a free account, however if your email is encrypted and signed this won't work.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Hmm... not sure, but I think it is the SSL piece. Here is what it says to install the cert:

"Employee access to company's systems requires a digital certificate. This certificate ensures the company that you are the individual you claim to be."

The cert says:

This certificate is intended for the following purposes:

- Proves your identity to a remote computer
    - Protects e-mail messages

To install it on my computer, I had to use MS ActiveX. How does one install a certificate on the 680? No MS ActiveX on the Treo.

Thanks again for your assistance.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I have corporate email as well, but I always thought the OWA is web based email. I know I use it a lot since I can not get good to work with T-MO. So I use OWA which should be usable from any computer the can connect to the internet.

I now have my corporate emai through OWA and my personal email through OWA as well..................... although I can get it from the standard email client on the 680.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oahu View Post
    I have corporate email as well, but I always thought the OWA is web based email. I know I use it a lot since I can not get good to work with T-MO. So I use OWA which should be usable from any computer the can connect to the internet.

I now have my corporate emai through OWA and my personal email through OWA as well..................... although I can get it from the standard email client on the 680.
    My company restricts the use of OWA to when you're logged onto its network - I cannot access it from a public internet site. Otherwise this would've been a slam dunk. I wish that was the case.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ginmtb View Post
    Hmm... not sure, but I think it is the SSL piece. Here is what it says to install the cert:

"Employee access to company's systems requires a digital certificate. This certificate ensures the company that you are the individual you claim to be."

The cert says:

This certificate is intended for the following purposes:

- Proves your identity to a remote computer
    - Protects e-mail messages

To install it on my computer, I had to use MS ActiveX. How does one install a certificate on the 680? No MS ActiveX on the Treo.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Unforfunately, that's not for the ssl piece. Your company is running a PKI (public key Infrastructure) system with your emails -- basically means they have a way of verifying who sent the email and securing it so no one can add on to an email that you've sent. Done correctly, it's very secure. But searching for "pki Palm" will lead you very few places, however, I did see some references to it being possible on a WindowsMobile treo. Your best bet is to find out who supplies your certificates - entrust, rsa, verisign, etc... Go to their websites see if they have a palm solution. Take that back to your IT group and ask for it, stopping by and talking to someone in power about how much more productive you'd be with it on your treo wouldn't hurt either -- that may just get your BBC paid for

Have you tried the blackberry connect software from palm? If their letting blackberry hit the server, it should work?

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...tKB,CASE=40408

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Oh jeez I thought I read somewhere that the 680 wasn't compatible with BBC. But now seeing that it is maybe I'll got that route.

Thanks for that - maybe I will get e-mail on this bad boy sooner or later. Now the question is though - will I be able to keep my $19.99 data plan? Will Cingular see that I'm connecting to a BB server or can I keep this on the D/L?