1.    #1  
    I know there has been a lot of HooHa about the MR update. I might be in the minority here but my update went without problems on the first try andI am now wondering if anyone has managed to get ROMtool or the like to work and enable all of us to create custom ROMs for the 700p? There is a significant amount of crap preloaded and I would love to get rid of it! Thanks
    ditto, me too, bump

etc etc etc

all that chyt he said.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Making custom ROM is not a problem I think, also flashing it onto 700p is fine (Telus to Sprint). The problem is we need a failsafe mode. ie: bootloader to work/able to reflash in case the palm reboots in a loop.

If the ROMTool by Grack can be updated, then those with "reset loop/brick/water damage" and can't get the 755p/700p replacment from Palm can fix it themself.
  4.    #4  
    Any news on how to create a custom rom? I notice that all the files are now .pdb files instead of the .zip files in the SD card update method? I assume that if I alter those files much like with the 650 I could use the sd card update method to flash the rom?
    Quote Originally Posted by paulg1981 View Post
    Any news on how to create a custom rom? I notice that all the files are now .pdb files instead of the .zip files in the SD card update method? I assume that if I alter those files much like with the 650 I could use the sd card update method to flash the rom?
    You can actually update the ROM with pdb files. (UNTESTED) just copy all the pdb (and the BL, IPL, SPL) into the RAM, then REMOVE THE SD CARD, then run rom updater and type "ventura".

Make sure battery charged and all files backedup/hotsync.

The device will freeze completely while flashing (no progress bar etc) and will hard reset after its done.
  6.    #6  
    COuld you explain a little more please? I am not sure I follow I currently have the .rom image from Romtool extracting from the sd card update but I am not sure how to add or delete the pdb files you speak of?
    For some reason, the Romtool by Grack will extract ROM in pdb format. But if its in ZIP or ROM Directory it will need a boot.conf file??? I have no idea what/where boot.conf file comes from yet.
  8.    #8  
    Any news on getting the .rom image into prcs or the like to add remove apps for ROM...seems like it is so close!
    See the 680 thread
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=144028
    I havent' look at it yet but I think its similar?

I still have to fix my EVDO first. (I will look into the ROM hacking stuff later) because I keep using my airtime for outgoing calls... Also because if something fails during the flashing I will have a bricked phone.. I have to see how to use the bootloader to load a rom from a r2sd backup.. but nobody donate their dead/bootloader palm to me to look at..
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the link and I did find a link to how to create a custom rom for the 680 but they started out with a directory of prc, pdbs, etc. What I need is a program to extract those files from ROM add/remove as I see fit and then build the .rom file again. I am not a linux user so I am at a loss. I did find a very old app called "chromed" that does exactly that but only handles roms up to 8mb! Damn! Google it if you think you can make it work. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paulg1981 View Post
    Thanks for the link and I did find a link to how to create a custom rom for the 680 but they started out with a directory of prc, pdbs, etc. What I need is a program to extract those files from ROM add/remove as I see fit and then build the .rom file again. I am not a linux user so I am at a loss. I did find a very old app called "chromed" that does exactly that but only handles roms up to 8mb! Damn! Google it if you think you can make it work. Thanks
    Yes I hav try Chrome before but it crashes. I think the SmallROM and the expansion ROM is not there anymore? I am looking into RomCrafter because it supports Tungsten C and T3 .. both uses 16MB ROM. I think the 700p has a 23mb rom.

The problem with the ROM in 650/680 is that it uses boot.conf. Its layout is different than the 700p (and I think 755p too). ie: inside the Ace-palmos.zip file are the actual PRCs/boot.conf/PDB.

While in the 700p/(755p?) rom's Zip file. It only contains 1 "ROM" file. Then inside contains the data similar to chromed/my old Tungsten T/IIIxe rom....

Maybe you can ask at the 755p (less depressing forum) about a "Custom Rom for 755p" . The flasher (ROMUpdater.prc) in 700p MR should be compatible with the 755p (but you would type Torino instead of ventura)

I am looking into the others listed below, but their inside the ZIP file contains PRCs similar to the 650/680.

All I found right now is there is a phyton script to strip the PDB into binary. That way I don't have to use java (because of the recompiling) from T3.jar

Codenames
    Palm T5 : Angus (Platform), TnT5(DeviceID)
    Palm TX : Devon (Platform), D050(DeviceID)
    Lifedrive : Brahma (Platform), TunX(DevceID)
    Treo 650 : Ace (Platform), H102(DeviceID)
    Treo 680 : Lowrider (Platform), Camino(Hardware), Nitro, D053(DeviceID)
    Treo 700p : Ventura (Platform), D052(DeviceID)
    Treo 755p : Torino (Platform), Sherlock, D060(DeviceID)
    any movement on cutoms? any luck?

no pressure since I have no idea how to do it but damn itd be nice to get rid of the bloat my unit has.
    There is no spoon.
    I think an editor similar to chromed is used. back then to edit this kind of rom they use jackxxxx.. (byrader).

The TX/Lifedrive (T5?) rom is like 650's where the ZIP file has all the PRCs and a overflow.conf or boot.conf..

While the 700/755 has the ZIP file too, but inside contain a "ROM partition". I understand a bit about the format, where "00 02 00 00 00 F1" hex is the "header" of each palm PRC/PDB. I am not a programmer so how to manipulate it I don't know. The chromed author has the right idea but without source code I am stuck.

Again I need a "safe" way to flash the custom 700p image too before I try flashing.

Again, palm is moving to the Linux platform, so my work will not be useful for the upcoming phones anyway...
    anymore updates?
    There is no spoon.
    Does anyone have the RomCrafter PDF manual.. I saw it before somewhere on my SD card/HDD but can't seem to find it. maybe just the "filename" of it would be helpful. Spotlight (Mac OSX) could not find the file for me..

Also does anyone have a "Flash PRC file" that RomCrafter loads in...? I want to look at the format of that PRC
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    There is a webpage/blog about the 680
    that mention..

Codenames

How cc-cap works.. and smallrom debugger stuff.. can't find the page now
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    There is a webpage/blog about the 680
    that mention..

Codenames

How cc-cap works.. and smallrom debugger stuff.. can't find the page now
    http://homepage.mac.com/alvinmok/palm/codenames.html

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    No not the Alvin one. That one is like a blog.. its at mac.com also .. I saved a picture of his new hobby.. his blog is about cc-cap and the 680..