View Poll Results: To update or not to update?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - Do it now!

11 32.35%
  • NO - Wait until Palm re-posts the file

23 67.65%
  1.    #1  
    Being out with strep throat Monday, I missed the update. But I have since come across a link to the file that has been posted in a couple other threads. So, the question I am going to ask is, should I update my 700p with that file, or wait for Palm to re-post it?
    Last edited by HandyDJs.com; 06/07/2007 at 11:08 AM.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    There is a reason why Palm removed the update from their site. Are you really that impatient, can't you read the horror stories?
  3.    #3  
    Simply trying to form an opinion. If you read everything, it seems like those with success installed the update by hard resetting and then followed the instructions for installing the update from the SD card, and the ones who are complaining of problems went the other route.

I guess I should point out that if I decide to install based on the voting, I will use the instructions for installing from the SD Card.

I should also state that in recent days, Sprint's coverage in my area has gone south and almost half of my calls get dropped. Not only on my 700p but also my 650. Also, applications are locking up due to the drifting signal bug, which this update fixes. Switching the phone to Roaming alleviates this problem, but then I don't get EvDO speeds. Note that I live within .2 miles of a their tower (that includes the roaming tower).

Had it not been for this recent development in coverage and system problems with Sprint, I would not even consider performing the update before Palm re-releases the update.

If the update is successful, the pros would easily outweigh the cons.
    Last edited by HandyDJs.com; 06/07/2007 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    If the update is successful, the pros would easily outweigh the cons.
    And if it's not successful . . .

I waited, and I'm glad I did. I'll wait next time also.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post
    And if it's not successful . . .

I waited, and I'm glad I did. I'll wait next time also.
    I voted "update now" but recommend the following...

1. Hard reset the device first
    2. Use the SD card method
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    If you like getting audible alerts to incoming voicmails and texts, I wouldn't recommend updating at all... As I discovered today, the DTMF tones that come out of the earpiece end up muting all but a fraction of a second of the alert at a real low volume... Crap, I had better check my calendar alerts and make sure those function...

...Wonderful... I just discovered for myself what I had read somewhere else here that ALL alerts are now ramped up in volume from nothing, which means short audio alerts are worthless now.

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse... I wonder if there is any other useful functionality Palm has managed to F**&*&! up...
  7.    #7  
    Sideman, did you update using the PC method or the SD Card method?

I did it with the SD card because I have a Mac and that was the only option. I should also note that the update would not work as instructed (it did nothing, instead of automatically starting) until I hard reset my Treo...
    I had no problem with the desktop method and did not do a hard reset. I did ignore the desktop progress indicator since it froze but the Treo showed it was still working. I'm guessing some of the failures may have been because the procees seemed to have failed from the desktop perspective.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sideman7 View Post
    I did it with the SD card because I have a Mac and that was the only option. I should also note that the update would not work as instructed (it did nothing, instead of automatically starting) until I hard reset my Treo...
    You're the first one I've seen say that method didn't work?
    Any others install the update from the SD Card and run into problems?

Quote Originally Posted by cvela90 View Post
    I had no problem with the desktop method and did not do a hard reset. I did ignore the desktop progress indicator since it froze but the Treo showed it was still working. I'm guessing some of the failures may have been because the procees seemed to have failed from the desktop perspective.
    And you might be the first one I've seen get it to work from the hotsync. There's hope yet...

Jump and ye shall fly...to update. Live on the edge. I needed it and couldn't wait, due to a corrupt HSSN, and I didn't want to try to get a new ferb either...the devil I know is better than the devil I don't
    at&t iPhone3G
    I'll be updating this weekend. I've read enough positives to do so. No BT issues for me but the lags got to go. Wish me luck...
    I bricked 3 phones. the fourth is waiting for a re-release...maybe not even then..
    Move to an iPhone or a Blackberry.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I successfully installed the update via USB (not sd card) and I did not do a hard reset before the install. The only prep work I did was to make a complete backup and I quit anything I had running in the background i.e. Chatter.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by BK0001 View Post
    Move to an iPhone or a Blackberry.
    Not an option for me and that answer would not help me one bit

Looks like a 2-1 margin here. I appreciate your votes...as it stands now, I am leaning towards running the updater despite the margin. I kinda expected everyone to say no when I posted this originally.

If you haven't voted and have a feeling one way or the other, please vote.