Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I have had my Treo for almost two years now, and will have to admit that I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to all the features (I really don't use it for more than making calls, ocassionally getting on the web, and sending Text messages), so I apologize in advance if this question is something I should already know.

My question is whether or not it is possible to backup SMS/Text messages from the Treo 650 to my desktop? If so, could someone explain how to do it?

Also, while I'm on the topic of SMS messages, is there a way to get my phone to display the date/time a message was received, inside of the chat log?

Any information would really be appreciated, thanks.
    Your SMS messages are backed up during your hotsyncs in the SMSDatabase file in your Palm backup folder.

If you look in the Options Menu in the SMS app and select "Preferences", under the "Chat" tab select "Show Timestamps in Chat".
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Thanks for the information.

I was able to find the timestamp preference on the SMS app, thanks.

When synching my phone, I had thought that I saw that it backed up SMS messages, however, I cannot find a SMSDatabase file in my Palm backup folder. The only files associated with SMS I see are: SMS_Addresses; SMS_Quicklist; and SMS_QuickText.

Am I looking in the right place, or should I be trying to find it somewhere else?

Again, any info would be great.

Thanks.
    The file you want is Messages Database. There are a couple of utilities that let you work with the SMS database(s) on the desktop. One is TreoDesktop - www.treodesktop.com and another is SMS Convert.

Ben