Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I've been looking for a way to see the same email on my desktop and my Treo.

IMAP would work but I have not found a free service and it is slower.

Gmail with POP access always deletes email from the server even when you set your email program to leave email on the server. That makes all POP read email not accessible to the other device.

The only way I have found so far is use web access on both the desktop and Treo. That will show the same email to both.

Also I have not been able to the Gmail for Palm to work. I have IBM Java and it works with Opera Mini.

Any other free ways to see the same email on desktop and Treo?

Tom
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Gmail with POP access always deletes email from the server even when you set your email program to leave email on the server. That makes all POP read email not accessible to the other device.
    I POP Gmail to my Treo using Versamail. It doesn't delete the email from the server, so you may want to re-check your Servers options, where I've only got the first box checked off (Leave mail on server after downloading to VersaMail.) while the second box is left un-checked (Delete mail on the server after deleting from VersaMail.)
    Fastmail.us has a free level. IMAP works very well, I use it extensively with two different providers. GMail with POP access does not immediately delete the email from the server, so you can go to the site and look in the TRASH and do whatever needs to be done - the mail stays there for about 30 days or so. I use POP with GMail.

What I do: I have GMail set to forward email to one of the IMAP servers I subscribe to, which it does and that sends it to the Treo. At the end of the day I get home, turn on the laptop and then download the day's GMail using my reader, Seamonkey.

The setting I use on the GMail site: Forward a copy of incoming mail to XXXX and keep GMail's copy in the inbox.

There is also a setting to delete messages that are access with POP. Anyway, there are bunches of settings there. On the Treo I use ChatterEmail very successfully - the GMail application just did not meet my needs.

Ben
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The setting I use on the GMail site: Forward a copy of incoming mail to XXXX and keep GMail's copy in the inbox.
    That might be the setting that is tripping up TomD. Gmail's "Settings" under "Forwarding and POP", "POP Download", "2.When messages are accessed with POP" has three options. I use "keep Gmail's copy in the Inbox", but there's also "archive Gmail's copy" and "delete Gmail's copy".
    I setup a gmail filter to forward all the e-mails to my sprint pop account. Then, I check it with versamail. It's pretty simple, if you want to know more - let me know.
    ----

Sprint Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I forward my Gmail to a fastmail account and use Chattermail. Sometimes my Treo will beep telling me I have a new e-mail before it shows up on my computer. That's nice. I've only run out of bandwidth once on the last day of the month using the free account on fastmail The reason for that was my son's MySpace surfing went crazy after school let out and all his messages are forwarded to me.
    I use gmail directly with chatteremail. No problems!
    I use chatter with GMail forwarded to Fastmail, too. However, I think if GMail supported POP for just specific labels, I'd go directly to GMail. I don't want to POP hundreds of messages a day to my phone, just important google-filtered ones.
    <br>