Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 102
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlyons02 View Post
    My major beef about thread slike this is that you get flamers who don't even use the 700p and who didn't even try to do the update or have any working knowledge of the update who sit in here and just fan the flames.

    I say, if you don't own the phone, get out of the board. I could easily go to the 680 forum and whine about how that phone sux, or go to the 755 forum and complain about how that phone really isn't any faster than the 700p, but I don't. I don't own those phones. I stay off those boards.
    I have used both the 700p and the 755p. Is the 700p snappier after the MR yes, but it still has the lag and so the 755p. Why release a phone with anylag. They had one full year to work out the bugs on the 755p, they did not win. Now there are more than a small group of Treo owners who are less than happy. for 649.00 we should be happy campers. Look at what Palm did to the Verizon users 700w, a handicapped phone from the start and so was the 700p!
  2. #62  
    Who ever said that spending money guaranteed happiness? I wish spending 650 bucks would be that guanrantee, but sorry my friend, money is no guarantee to happiness.

    I fully suspect the majority of the treo users are very happy with thier phones. Most don't expect it to be a personal computer strength machine, although it seems sometimes the people on this forum do expect that level of service through the phone. I for one am very happy with my phone, and have not had any major issues with it. Sure there is an occassional issue, but they are not enought ot warrant talk of suing.

    This is an electrical piece of equipment, it will have some hiccups, every mechanical and electrical piece of equipment does, I challenge you to name one that hasn't.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    I have used both the 700p and the 755p. Is the 700p snappier after the MR yes, but it still has the lag and so the 755p. Why release a phone with anylag. They had one full year to work out the bugs on the 755p, they did not win. Now there are more than a small group of Treo owners who are less than happy. for 649.00 we should be happy campers. Look at what Palm did to the Verizon users 700w, a handicapped phone from the start and so was the 700p!
    I believe it was Mr. Steve Sinclair from Palm in his response to the open letter from Bob-C that disclosed the lag and other problems were attributable to sharing the hardware between the W and P versions of this phone - I can only speculate this move was intended to cut production costs. The unintended consequence was functional problems experienced by the Palm OS in this hardware - seems they did the same with the 755p.

    Since these (lag and stability) apparently are hardware related problems those are unlikely to be successfully addressed by a ROM update.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlyons02 View Post
    Who ever said that spending money guaranteed happiness? I wish spending 650 bucks would be that guanrantee, but sorry my friend, money is no guarantee to happiness...
    Happiness is not a reasonable expectation, however a functional piece of equipment is certainly a reasonable one.

    I do not agree a class action suit is neither needed nor reasonable over this. Since there appears to be QC issues with these phones some people have good phones, others have phones plagued with problems. The latter group should instead seek relief from Palm/Sprint/Verizon by looking for a replecement unit or an upgrade if possible.

    Ultimately, the best strategy to "teach Palm a lesson" if you in fact have so many problems as to make your phone/PDA unusable, is explore competing smartphones from other manufacturers in hopes the user/customer support experiences are better.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  5. #65  
    Some people have run the course for getting their 700p fixed.

    I, for example, have an Alltel 700p. The ROM ver is from 12/06.
    It does not contain the fixes from the Sprint MR.
    If I call Alltel, they say they don't know if ANY issues with that phone.
    If I call Palm, they say "your phone does not require the MR patch. I should contact Alltel if I'm having problems."

    And yet, I have the same bluetooth and reset problems as everyone else.
    In 22 months, I can "teach Palm a lesson".

    So what resolution is available to me? It's easy to say "My fix is coming or my phone works fine." What about the rest of us? Anyone?
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlyons02 View Post
    This is an electrical piece of equipment, it will have some hiccups, every mechanical and electrical piece of equipment does, I challenge you to name one that hasn't.
    No, every piece of electrical and mechanical equipment DOES NOT have "hiccups".

    You want me to NAME things.. OK.. heart monitors, defibrillators, flight
    control systems (many, not all), and ANY product I have ever engineered.

    Yes.. ANY.. as in ALL of them Mr. Lyons.

    Add to that the Kubota tractor in my yard. Keep the battery charged and
    the needed maint. done, and it will work every single time, all the time.

    Your perception is so skewed as to be nigh comical.

    The point of ENGINEERING is to strive for 0 defects. Not "oh heck, 5 defects
    is good enough - everything has SOME defects".

    God, what an attitude.

    Do things FAIL? Yes, they do. Things BREAK - then you fix them.

    Manufacturers can make errors on even a perfectly engineered device.

    Does everything have intermittent problems, no it does not.

    If a piece of equipment has "hiccups" and you aren't seeking to find/fix
    and/or eliminate those problems, you cannot depend upon that equipment
    in which case it is better off left in a box, on shelf, or unused.

    That of course is the PURPOSE of an "update" or "an MR".

    To eliminate problems - not to increase them, or add new ones.

    The 700p was and is RIFE with intermittent problems. Poor Haroldo is now
    seeing all about BT problems - joining in misery with those of us that have
    had them since day one. The MR has only made it worse. Fixing some issues,
    creating others, and destroying a large part of the hardware to which it was
    applied to.

    That is not acceptable under any stretch of your pretzel logic, Sir.

    Jim
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    I have used both the 700p and the 755p. Is the 700p snappier after the MR yes, but it still has the lag and so the 755p. Why release a phone with anylag. They had one full year to work out the bugs on the 755p, they did not win. Now there are more than a small group of Treo owners who are less than happy. for 649.00 we should be happy campers. Look at what Palm did to the Verizon users 700w, a handicapped phone from the start and so was the 700p!
    Yeah they had a year, but it seems they spent that time developing the stupid Folio, that no one is going to buy. I have had it with Palm.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by lndshrk View Post
    No, every piece of electrical and mechanical equipment DOES NOT have "hiccups".

    You want me to NAME things.. OK.. heart monitors, defibrillators, flight
    control systems (many, not all), and ANY product I have ever engineered.

    Yes.. ANY.. as in ALL of them Mr. Lyons.

    Jim

    I am sorry, I did not mean to say that a piece of mecahnical or electrical equipment couldn't be "hiccup" proof. I was saying that if enough are made some will have hiccups. Do you know for a fact that every one of the devices you have spoken about above, every single one, was error free, because I happen to know different as I work in the medical field and have seen errors come up from every type of those specific devices you listed. All except your devices, which I don't have a clue about.

    Anyway, all I am saying is that I think the majority of the problems many people face with the 700p are software problems either they create with third-parties or are created in the manufactring process. Software problems are ripe in any electrical computing device that uses software and not just firmware. If you say otherwise you are being the homer there my friend.

    Are there hardware problems with the 700p, you bet, but I think they are much fewer than this board would lead one to think. I do not think the update was completely thought out by palm, or there were internal hardware differences in the 700p's in which the update was applied as some went flawlessly the first time while others got toasted. No rhyme or reason to it other than to say there must be some differences in the machines themselves. But to say all palm 700p's are flawed is not a correct statement. To say that every palm user is entitled to recompense for owning a plam 700p is not correct either, as I know many on this board are very happy with their units both before and after this update.

    Sorry to light a fire under you, I didn't mean to insult whatever it is you make either...which by the way, now I am totally curious what it is you make that has a flawless manufacutring process.
  9. wilsonb's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    #69  
    Could someone post the SD update somewhere or the name of the file..?

    I will take my chance..

    Thanks
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
  10. #70  
    Question to the happy dont care how hard palm makes your day with a junker OS,

    If you bought a new car,truck,tractor what ever you drive hehe.
    30 days into owning your sweet new vehicle all the sudden the computer shuts down and it only starts sometimes...lets say 50% of the time For those who are reading this that worship palm are already preparing there rebuttal post lol lol ...hang tight guys and soak this up...Then rip it apart lol
    Anyway the builder of the car,truck or tractor told you that's the way it was built so ruff it out man but hey we will try to get it fixed for you real soon hehe
    I'm sure the palm demons are saying to there self -whats that got to do with anything..I just don't understand lol
    Anyway the car,truck or tractor builder sends the mechanic out for the much need fix a year later.He starts working on your car truck or tractor telling you..At last it,s fixed. You get into your car,truck or tractor and it,s still broken and you cant get to work..What would you do lol lol opps I forgot...
    Everyone in your neighborhood owns the same car,truck or tractor.

    A simple 3rd grade post guys and gals...Be proud of your choices
    Do you all except the rippppp off or do you come together to get the builder of your car,truck or tractor to make the fix need by taking them to court.
    I will answer the question heheh....
    70% say heck.. what good will it do.It,s not the builder of the car,truck or tractor builders fault.This is normal for all.
    20% will not do anything because the 70% that feel it's no big deal to get ripped off are rubbing off on the 20% that want to do something getting the fix they deserve.
    9% are looking at you neighborhood saying to there self.what a bunch of dumb car,truck or tractor owners.
    1% = Sling trying to spell it out to you...WAKE UP PALM OWNERS

    Your welcome
  11. #71  
    I don't understand why people stand for this with a $600 phone. Isn't there some sort of cell phone lemon law?

    The irony here is the people berating the iPhone for not being worth $600, yet you think the 700p is with all the issues and complete lack of support?
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlyons02 View Post
    Sorry to light a fire under you, I didn't mean to insult whatever it is you make either...which by the way, now I am totally curious what it is you make that has a flawless manufacutring process.
    What I make is not important (I am the CEO of 3 corporations of my own
    creation) but the fact that every device that I have designed is tested by
    a procedure of my design TWICE before release to the customer IS.

    It's called quality control. To not do it would be criminal, IMHO.

    As to your assumption about the problems with the 700p being "much smaller"
    than one would be led to believe here on TC. I do not concur.. if anything I
    think that are so many Palm apologists and fanboys on this site, that the true
    level of Palm 700p problems is likely much higher.

    Even Haroldo, who just days/weeks ago was basically telling all of us w/
    problems we were all fools, because HE had no problems, suddenly now has
    some of the same BT problems we all had.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Question to the happy dont care how hard palm makes your day with a junker OS,

    If you bought a new car,truck,tractor what ever you drive hehe.
    30 days into owning your sweet new vehicle all the sudden the computer shuts down and it only starts sometimes...lets say 50% of the time For those who are reading this that worship palm are already preparing there rebuttal post lol lol ...hang tight guys and soak this up...Then rip it apart lol
    Anyway the builder of the car,truck or tractor told you that's the way it was built so ruff it out man but hey we will try to get it fixed for you real soon hehe
    I'm sure the palm demons are saying to there self -whats that got to do with anything..I just don't understand lol
    Anyway the car,truck or tractor builder sends the mechanic out for the much need fix a year later.He starts working on your car truck or tractor telling you..At last it,s fixed. You get into your car,truck or tractor and it,s still broken and you cant get to work..What would you do lol lol opps I forgot...
    Everyone in your neighborhood owns the same car,truck or tractor.

    A simple 3rd grade post guys and gals...Be proud of your choices
    Do you all except the rippppp off or do you come together to get the builder of your car,truck or tractor to make the fix need by taking them to court.
    I will answer the question heheh....
    70% say heck.. what good will it do.It,s not the builder of the car,truck or tractor builders fault.This is normal for all.
    20% will not do anything because the 70% that feel it's no big deal to get ripped off are rubbing off on the 20% that want to do something getting the fix they deserve.
    9% are looking at you neighborhood saying to there self.what a bunch of dumb car,truck or tractor owners.
    1% = Sling trying to spell it out to you...WAKE UP PALM OWNERS

    Your welcome
    I wish I could follow what you were typing.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  14. #74  
    Take your time bujin .Don't fall into the 70% ratio hehehe
    I posted it at 2am EST so yes it may be a little confusing but not really
  15. #75  
    Does anyone know what is required to start a class action lawsuit?
    How many plaintiffs are required?
    Do you have to file in same state as Palm headquarters?
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Take your time bujin .Don't fall into the 70% ratio hehehe
    I posted it at 2am EST so yes it may be a little confusing but not really
    I tried to read it slowly - I got dumber in the attempt to understand it.

    What little I did glean from it suffers from faulty logic - it assumes that the 70% are suffering from problems and don't "feel it's a big deal to get ripped off". What you're missing is that over 70% are having no real problems with their devices. So the 20% need to decide whether it's significant enough to take action - not for everyone (they have to recognize that their devices are in some way functioning differently than the other 70%), but for the 20% who are having difficulty.

    Then they have to finally get a focus and make a decision. I still maintain that this won't happen on this site. Others have posted that they have had individual results (trade ins for 755's, etc), but nobody has followed through on any class action / small claims, and likely won't.

    Does anyone know what is required to start a class action lawsuit?
    How many plaintiffs are required?
    Do you have to file in same state as Palm headquarters?
    If you look on similar threads, there are quite a number of discussions on this topic that may give you the information you are looking for in a manner more efficient than waiting for someone to repost it. (Just a suggestion; if someone has that answer at hand, you may get the answer here, but I do remember seeing than answer somewhere recently)
    Last edited by Bujin; 06/10/2007 at 11:41 AM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  17. #77  
    I am one of those 700P users who don't complain about my unit. That doesn't mean that I have no problems with it. If I were asked about the
    700P I would tell people that I am happy with it.

    But I also experience lags going from Blazer to the phone application and my phone will reset if I am on a call and travel into a poor reception area. The phone reset does not happen often and because I usually am in areas of good reception. I wouldn't even know it was a problem with the 700P if I hadn't started reading the forums as this is my first smartphone.

    What I'm trying to say is that most of us who have these smartphones just accept the issues with it because we don't know any better. We just think that's the way it's suspose to work. (the lags not the resets) and if we aren't power users we would not even experience some of them. I don't even know if my bluetooth works because I never bought a bluetooth product. I considered it but when I read that it was hit or miss for the 700P I didn't want to waste my money.

    So just because people don't complain about there 700P doesn't mean they don't experience problems with them.
  18. #78  
    You are right. I had no idea there were so many threads about this issue.
  19. #79  
    To Sling and the CEO whom I did not attempt to offend his company:

    If you took a car, as Sling describes, and added all kinds of mods to it (custom exhaust, air intake, performance chip, new transmisison, new suspension, etc), and then it started breaking down, do you think the manufaturer would uphold its warranty, or even take blame for what is causing the prblems? I think not. As an owner of a car, I know that if I make mods to my car I can, in effect, negate any and all warranties the car is held under. Same goes for the palm, although all the developers of third-party software say they test the software and approve it for use with the 700p, do you really think it will work in every circumstance a palm user can put it through? Lets get real here folks.

    I am NOT saying the palm does not (I know double negative, but added for effect) have some, stress SOME, hardware problems with some, I repeat SOME, phones. I agree with you that those users should be able to get a new phone for free. Do I think that everyone who has their phone jammed full of third-party software and then has a random reset or lag experienced when switching apps should be given a new phone when they have problems? Absolutely not.

    When you add stuff to the phone, it is buyer beware, unless of course it is palm software or sprint software, and then they should apply the same standards for their faulty hardware as in the MR update.

    To say that everyone here is experiencing the same exact problems with their phones is just plain silly. This is an exact opposite of the issue with iPod that Sling brought up earlier in the discussion. There were faulty batteries in those iPod units, a problem exhibited by nearly every iPod manufactured.

    If you could show me where the 700p has had the same problem on a clean unit (no third-parties) on even more than 15% of the 700p users, I would agree that we have a problme that needs to be fixed. Heck , even 5% would be good enough to show me there is a problem. However, until we are all talking about the same problem on direct-from-factory units, it is all useless. As I stated before, when you add mods to the phone, it makes things much more dicey and you CAN NOT ensure those mods are not the root cause of your evils.

    I think we are agreeing on some points those boys, those that have direct from factory duds should be able to go straight to palm and get a replacement (I can't ever remember anyone from this board who has not had a replacement offered). However, to say there is a sweeping problem with the 700p is just not right. And, to say that if you break your 700p requires the instant upgrade to the 755 is not right either (my 2005 car broke under warranty so I demand a new 2007 model in it's place). The "I want everything, now" attitude of this culture just kills me sometimes (introspective reflections counter-transferring onto this board, sorry).
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlyons02 View Post
    If you took a car, as Sling describes, and added all kinds of mods to it (custom exhaust, air intake, performance chip, new transmisison, new suspension, etc), and then it started breaking down, do you think the manufaturer would uphold its warranty, or even take blame for what is causing the prblems? I think not.
    And once again, your "thinking" would be very very wrong. Sorry rlyons02

    (Nothing personal, it's just that your "manufacturer/big business" uber alles
    train of thinking rubs against reality a bit too much)

    FEDERAL LAW requires the manufacturer of that vehicle to uphold the warranty
    and modifications have nothing to do with it.

    If they don't you take them to Federal Court, and they lose, and then you
    get a lot more $$$ than a warranty repair - and they know this.

    (BTDT - have the T-shirt - well a collection of them actually!)

    The caveats are that (of course) the OEM doesn't warrant your modifications,
    and IF THEY CAN PROVE (in a court of law) that your modifications CAUSED
    the problem - then they can deny warranty service for that particular problem.

    That means that they are not going to replace your intake if it breaks under
    their OEM warranty (well duh) and if they can PROVE that your engine chip
    caused the computer to fail (not a chance) they could deny the warranty
    replacement of that computer. They cannot deny warranty (for example) on
    a braking problem because you have an air intake.

    Here's a basic overview of the law by the FTC:

    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...#Magnuson-Moss

    Here's a car-specific view of it by SEMA:

    http://www.sema.org/Main/SemaOrgHome.aspx?ID=50100

    Please note that the same laws apply to Palm's Treo 700p and it's written
    warranty as well. Palm cannot and could not deny the warranty based upon
    the fact that you have installed "3rd-party" software. Neither can Sprint.

    They know this. They try to pretend they don't know this.. but they do.

    Cheers,

    Jim
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions