1.    #1  
    I was finally able to strike a deal with Verizon Wireless. My brand-new shiny BlackBerry 8830 is on its way and should be in my hot little hands Friday or Monday.

So it's Bye Bye Bye, Palm! Lots o' luck with the Fooleo!

See ya.
    Later.
    Peace out!
    Dude Verizon is the most evil of all carriers.... Good luck with that...!

Al
    Good luck with that...!
    +1
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post

Al
    Evil is being nice.....they'll grab you by your ankles and shake every penny out of your pockets.....
    "Yet each man kills the thing he loves, from all let this be heard. Some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word. The coward does it with a kiss the brave man with the sword."
    -- Oscar Wilde
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post

Al
    Did the same, and then I have to tell you, I started having serious second thoughts:

BLACKBERRY-SPECIFIC
    - how much was the lack of a touch screen going to affect me?
    - was the keyboard going to bug me vs. the separated keys of the Treo / Blackberry Curve?

VERIZON-SPECIFIC
    - the fact that they crippled the GPS, while AT&T did not, and Sprint will not, REALLY bugged me. Just knowing that I should be able to do live GPS mapping, but that Verizon decided to disable this, really gets under my skin.
    - locked SIM so they could gouge on international roaming, vs. Sprint unlocked SIM, bugged me too.

So where am I? I have an unopened 8830 sitting next to my desk, unopened for 2 days. I can't decide...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by BK0001 View Post
    BLACKBERRY-SPECIFIC
    - how much was the lack of a touch screen going to affect me?
    I fiddled with the BlackBerry 8830 in the store for about an hour and a half (garnering strange looks from the employees)--long enough for me to know that the lack of a touch screen will not affect me very much at all. One of the things that bugged the beejezus out of me was having to press tiny little buttons on the screen or whip out a stylus all the time. I found the BlackBerry interface very intuitive and easy-to-use.

In fact, one of the things I really dug about the BlackBerry is the fact that when you're not viewing a web page in handheld-optimized ptimized mode, the pearl scrolls the page in every direction--and can be used as a little mouse, with a real pointer, too! Oh if only my Treo did that! I thought that was cool as hell!

was the keyboard going to bug me vs. the separated keys of the Treo / Blackberry Curve?
    Again, after fiddling with one in the store for quite a while, I rapidly got used to the keyboard. The keys are shaped such that they're raised in just the right spot to minimize fat-fingering (and lemmie tell you, I have some fat fingers).

In fact, there are a bunch of typing tricks that BlackBerry incorporated into their interface that far exceeds Palm's: one example is their handling of frequently-used phrases is handled very much like AutoCorrect in Word--you can have the BlackBerry automatically replace GGN woth "I've got to go now"--whereby the QuickText feature on the Palm always seemed to me to be far too limited; it's clumsy to use and you can only put in a handful of phrases. On the BlackBerry, one can add more "autocorrect" entries than I'll ever need. In my opinion, this is a far better system than Palm has incorporated. And that's just one example. There are others. Remember, RIM isn't a newbie when it comes to smartphones. And unlike Palm, RIMs smartphones actually seem to get better as they evolve.</palm_bashing>

VERIZON-SPECIFIC
    - the fact that they crippled the GPS, while AT&T did not, and Sprint will not, REALLY bugged me. Just knowing that I should be able to do live GPS mapping, but that Verizon decided to disable this, really gets under my skin.
    I have never asked my phone to do double-duty as a GPS receiver. I've always been a strong proponent of GPS, but I've always had Garmin GPS units. My current GPS receiver, the Garmin Nüvi 350, is a spectacular receiver--and plays MP3s and audiobooks besides. So the 4gb card I bought for my Treo will not go to waste--and I can use a real headset with it--not buy some special customized jobbie from Seidio that only lasts for three weeks before needing to be replaced.

Therefore, Verizon's handling of the BlackBerry GPS receiver was not a concern for me at all. Besides, you know some fastidious hacker is going to find some way to remove or work around Palm's crippling of the BlackBerry GPS.

locked SIM so they could gouge on international roaming, vs. Sprint unlocked SIM, bugged me too.
    I don't travel overseas at all, so this did not factor into my decision one iota.

So where am I? I have an unopened 8830 sitting next to my desk, unopened for 2 days. I can't decide...
    Open it... Love it... you know you want to. Trust me; having an e-mail program that doesn't crash your handheld every day is a wondrous thing.

And incidentally, to answer the charge of previous posters that Verizon is money-grubbing scum--well, they are; I certainly cannot disagree with you there. But I'm lucky--through my employer, I get a staggering 25% discount on my calling plans and my they also pay for the data plan, with tethering. Besides, with all the experience I've had with all the other carriers, I've found that they all try to nickel-and-dime you to death. Verizon is no better or worse in that department than anybody else.

And even with all the trouble I've had with my 700p from a systemic standpoint, I've had the phone for a little more than a year and the first call I dropped (because of Verizon and not my Plantronics 510 randomly disconnecting from my Treo) was three days ago.

Their data network is the fastest. Their call quality is staggering. I've never been this happy with any carrier, and I've used practically all of them: Sprint, Cingular/AT&T, T-Mobile... Verizon is by far the best, most reliable network I've ever used.

I know, I know. I sound like a Verizon commercial. Yes, they're the most-pricey. But in my opinion, they're worth every nickel. Of all the carriers I've used, AT&T is by far the worst. Worst signal quality, worst radio interference (TDMA/GSM sucks flaming-hot monkey-****; I always knew my phone was going to ring three seconds before it actually did because every speaker on my desk turned into a buzz saw), tons of dropped calls... when I heard the iPhone was going to be exclusive to AT&T for however many years, I was beside myself. Oh, well. By the time my BlackBerry is due to be retired, Verizon hopefully will have a CDMA/EV-DO iPhone--evolved enough such that all the kinks are worked out.

Go with the 8830, I did, you'll never look back (well, just to see how messed up the MR was and glad you didn't wait).

Erik
    how does Sprint unlock SIM works? I thought only GSM has SIM card, not CDMA??
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    are you telling me that the gsm sim is locked to verizon??
    Quote Originally Posted by fondoo View Post
    are you telling me that the gsm sim is locked to verizon??
    Believe it is technically Verizon/Vodaphone via a SIM card verizon provides, and they make you pay through the nose on the order of $2.50 per minute on calls while international GSM.

Sprint's official specs on the same 8830 (expected July) include:

- fully functioning GPS, usable by any application
    - unlocked SIM

Verizon seems to have succeeded in negating the 2 primary functionalities that make this a "traveler's world phone" (affordable GSM calls while traveling, and GPS). Meanwhile, Sprint's implementation looks like it will fulfill the promise of the device.