1.    #1  
    After much researching, I got a Holux 240 receiver and am in need of some software to run it right on my Sprint 700P.

Its narrowed down to Telenav ($10/month, essentially) or TomTom 6 ($150 plus shipping). Ultimately I want something thats not pay per month and can use without an internet connection for 10% of its usage time (when in car in some receptionless zone or on a boat, etc.) TomTom is pissing me off with all the Teleatlas mapping; NAVTEQ is obviously superior, its used in Google Maps and is usually more up-to-date than the other one.

Don't they make some one-time-pay software that incorporates a fuel finder feature, NAVTEQ maps, and all the other basic features of a GPS unit (voice routing, auto rerouting, north up, 2D and 3D..etc.) HELP!!!!! If I don't find a permanent GPS solution, I'm thinking I'll just use Telenav at 10 a month til maybe something comes out? Is there anything even coming out soon?
  2.    #2  
    Bump, Please!!
  3.    #3  
    And found TomTom for 130 + shipping now.
    TomTom is unbeatable IMO.. Its maps are great, its usage is great, even my wife doesn't get frustrated using it. It re-routes in case you take a different route or miss a turn (you get multiple warnings, but hey, it happens).

The only fault I have with TomTom is it's not *really* simple to pick your own specific route, but the manual does cover it if you read it. Basically you do an itenerary rather than a normal trip and set it to "visit" places. Example of reason why you'd want to do this; my trip to my mother in law, the shortest/fastest path is not a very good route, so I have it pick a different route. Although in reality, I can do that within a normal route as you can pick *one* alternate path. Anyway...

TomTom works very well.
    PathAway also is a nice software where you can make your own maps! Where as it is the only viable choice for the places like mine (Sri Lanka) that none of TomTom or other maps available.

I simply scan up paper maps and calibrate few places then you are well set. It even works without maps where you can recode tracks anywhere you go and then trace back.
    R
    Chan
    Treo 680 Mobitel GSM Sri Lanka.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandana View Post
    PathAway also is a nice software where you can make your own maps! Where as it is the only viable choice for the places like mine (Sri Lanka) that none of TomTom or other maps available.

I simply scan up paper maps and calibrate few places then you are well set. It even works without maps where you can recode tracks anywhere you go and then trace back.
    I don't mind threadjacking since this is a FAQ original post anyway...

How difficult is it to import and calibrate a map? I have some topo maps which are something like 2000x3000 which cover a fairly large area but with plenty of detail. Can it handle such a map? I've tried a few programs, none have been able to without me breaking it into a bunch of little maps.

Good thing also is with the 2000x3000 maps, I know the exact coordinates of Top-Left and Bottom-Right
  7.    #7  
    Sweet, I think I'm settled on TomTom. There just is no clear winner I think among all the Treo GPS software, but TomTom edges out in the lead.

And recently NAVTEQ maps have been very off for my local area by use of Google Maps.
  8.    #8  
    Got it, at Semsons, using coupon "Semsons", came out to be $133 w/ shipping. Great deal!