Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know ALOT of us are pretty dam grumpy/upset at whats been happening lately. I want to walk away from the palm platform but I just can't.

So why do you stay with the palm platform?

Here are my reasons:

1) Massive contact list (originally why i liked the Handspring/visorphone)
    2) Massive call log. I actually save every dam call log since my 700p up to 2 years ago

3) Easy contact management software.
    4) Better application availability vs Windows Mobile or Blackberry (I cant confirm this since all I use is the Palm Platform)

And excuse me if some of the above reasons are easily available on Windows Mobile or Blackberry.

I have a blackberry 7520 and I think the PIM software in it just sucks. I don't use outlook and I don't want to use outlook but maybe if I can get my hands on a Windows mobile phone will the contact management software be up to par with the Palm desktop? Can I find my most used apps for Windows Mobile or Blackberry? My answers are going to take alot of time to research.

I know some people may argue that the Palm Platform is antiquated but at the same time I have not had the time to really research something as USEFUL as the palm desktop. "IF" I could use the palmdesktop software on another type of smartphone then I'd be set. I'd be willing to give up some luxuries for the sake of Stability.
    Good points. Most people are relatively happy with their Treos. Go look at the WM or BB boards on this and other sites, and you will see people complaining about those devices. Clearly, the BB does not have the software variety and multimedia capabilities of the Palm. It was designed for email and business and does very good at that. The WM, although it may be the future of mobile devices, certainly has issues. I think many people realize although Palm is not perfect, it is the best all-around business and consumer device.

The problem with Palm is, although they have had a great product, they have not marketed it well. Yes, you can say, why fix what ain't broke (OS), but people obviously get bored with the same old designs. Incremental upgrades, in both hardware and software, do not excite the average consumer these days, especially when other companies are offering "slicker" devices. So really, the innovation of Palm has been surpassed by other companies who market more innovative, but less capable devices.

Bottom line is, you will be hard pressed to find another device that can do everything the Palm can do.
    Here are mine

cant even count the ammount of $ Ive invested in software

If I counted my time involved to LEARN this software/hardware AND the software Ive bought it would be in the thousands of $'s of my time (I know I need to get a life)

The ammount of $ Ive invested in accessories is up there too.

There is no way that I could possibly find all the big or even the little pieces of software that Ive found for the POS, that enhance my life in one way or another.

I think that about sums it up?!?!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I stick with Palm because the OS makes sense to me at an intuitive level. It's easy to use lots of applications without a lot of memorization. It just pleases me at a very basic level. When I've tried other phones or PDAs I spend my time critiquing - with a lot of "That makes no sense" As far as I'm concerned Palm has the basics very right. That's why I hold out hope for the Foleo - there must be something there for Hawkins to be so excited.

One of the strenths of Palm is our ability to load other applications to make the device do so many different things. It's like democracy in action or a free market right in my palm. But that strength creates a lot of the complaints, IMO. If you run your system plain vanilla it works predictably and well. Load on a lot of other apps and they may not play well together. But the ability to dude it up how I want it is so great! It' such a can-do, optimistic device.

I agree about the marketing. Maybe we should suggest ways Palm can make the Treo look exciting because it is exciting.
    I stick with Palm for many of the same reasons posted. I love the versatility of the device, especially when paired with the insanely huge software library available for it (much of which is free or open-source).

I just wish there was another manufacturer making devices for the OS. I'm sick and tired of Palm as a company. Unfortunately Palm isn't licensing their new Linux OS and as far as I know nobody's picked up ALP yet either. It's a shame because all the Palm users who are looking to jump ship after all these snafus from Palm would probably eagerly pick up a Samsung phone running ALP.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    My reasons are verbatim what Hdhntr23 said.
    Quote Originally Posted by egn View Post
    My reasons are verbatim what Hdhntr23 said.

welcome to the jungle eh?

once you check in you can never leave.

There is no spoon.
    Basically 10 years of experience, software, and old habits.

I have a WM device (ipaq) and I just can't seem to catch on with it due to the learning curve with new apps and required habits. I am an outlook user so WM probably would shine there but I find KeySuite just as powerful, from what I've seen. I'd probably never go BB (well unless I had to for work or something) for the same reason and lack of 3rd party support.
    I'm with hdhntr as well. I've been on the POS for eight years, have played with BB and WM, and find both lacking in apps and simplicity of function.

I agree that Palm sucks at marketing, but it also sucks at customer support. Look at its response to the 700p MR. AWFUL.

And I LOVE my VZW 700p, it's the best Treo I've owned yet. Mine has been rock solid for the year I've owned it (bought it on day one).
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Good points. Most people are relatively happy with their Treos. Go look at the WM or BB boards on this and other sites, and you will see people complaining about those devices. Clearly, the BB does not have the software variety and multimedia capabilities of the Palm. It was designed for email and business and does very good at that. The WM, although it may be the future of mobile devices, certainly has issues. I think many people realize although Palm is not perfect, it is the best all-around business and consumer device.

The problem with Palm is, although they have had a great product, they have not marketed it well. Yes, you can say, why fix what ain't broke (OS), but people obviously get bored with the same old designs. Incremental upgrades, in both hardware and software, do not excite the average consumer these days, especially when other companies are offering "slicker" devices. So really, the innovation of Palm has been surpassed by other companies who market more innovative, but less capable devices.

Bottom line is, you will be hard pressed to find another device that can do everything the Palm can do.
    The bottom line... garnet is a giant patch with alot of holes....They ran out of band-aids with the MR fiasco .Ive always used WM and picked up the P on the first day of release.I went through 5 of them.It was slow is heck.The darn media player skipped...softrests left and right...The BT really stinked bad.A cup and string could get better response .I could not believe the crap I was sold.I got lucky enough for sprint to take back the very unstable P-garnet and upgrade me to the WX 3 months into owning.
    WX is a 100% more stable device.When it comes to apps..I don't know what to tell the garnet users.Thats all you talk about is all the apps you will be losing yet half of them drive your OS into a tail spin.I Mortscript apps and can make my treo do just about anything I want not having to worry about a softreset .I get about 1 softreset every ether month if I'm lucky..That a good device with a great OS.Garnet on the either hand has been out of air for a long time and it's even dragging there users down more.The post was not to stir up the garnet faith full.I really feel sorry for you guys.I dont know whats got to happen for you guys to wake up.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Agreed and agreed.

My other motivations beside those listed:

1. Bluetooth stereo headset.

Yes, it requires SAG, and yes I wish it were native, yes and I wish it worked better, but it does work, and most of the other devices don't have it.

2. Screen resolution

I read 20+ novels a year on my phone. Resolution and fonts are everything.

3. Not a Microsoft product.

This is troll bait and I don't mean it to be. My personal, and I stress its is MY PERSONAL (not your) goal is to never again use a Microsoft product, and for the last 4 years I have done just that. It is something that I am personally proud of and promote.

I do recognize others opinions and I do not demean or ridicule in any way Microsoft's customers. I am just not one, and never will be one again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hargoth View Post
    Agreed and agreed.

My other motivations beside those listed:

1. Bluetooth stereo headset.

Yes, it requires SAG, and yes I wish it were native, yes and I wish it worked better, but it does work, and most of the other devices don't have it.

2. Screen resolution

I read 20+ novels a year on my phone. Resolution and fonts are everything.

3. Not a Microsoft product.

This is troll bait and I don't mean it to be. My personal, and I stress its is MY PERSONAL (not your) goal is to never again use a Microsoft product, and for the last 4 years I have done just that. It is something that I am personally proud of and promote.

I do recognize others opinions and I do not demean or ridicule in any way Microsoft's customers. I am just not one, and never will be one again.
    I respect you dedication to the Garnet OS.Im just trying to understand why you accept it's total failure to deliver what a 600$ device should .If you cant listen to your mp3 without it skipping there is something really wrong.If it takes Palm a year to deliver another patch that has bricked alot of P,s so I read that's your choice.To hate Microsoft ..thats your choice as well.Im just trying to figure out when the garnet user will really look at the OS and Say...What is it doing for me.
    Last edited by slingbox; 06/06/2007 at 04:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    cuz Im too lazy to learn windows mobile and I already speny a bunch of money on Palm crap
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    I personally can vouch for giving Sling crap when he switched over to a Palm device. I knew he would be back. I told him he would regret it.

Look no further than a WM Palm Treo!
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    cuz Im too lazy to learn windows mobile and I already speny a bunch of money on Palm crap
    three cheers to Pump!!

you said what I said in about 2/3's less words.

that rocks.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    I personally can vouch for giving Sling crap when he switched over to a Palm device. I knew he would be back. I told him he would regret it.

Look no further than a WM Palm Treo!
    yes you did JN It only took me 3 months to figure out what I got myself into then got out is fast as possible.This is no Joke.Every time a call is placed to sprint for anything I always thank the rep for there company getting me into the WX for free with no extended contract.
    The P was the most miserable experience in my life.I would have rather flashed back to the IPAQ 6315 then be stuck in garnet and thats saying something.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I don't get skips in my music, sorry that you did.

Right now this platform does everything I want it to. With problems, yes, but I am not willing to give up my primary usages.

However, there are several Linux based phones on the near Horizon that I will most assuredly take a hard look at.

Today, the TreoP series are the only devices that CAN do what I want. If I have to fiddle with it more than I should have to, then so be it.

For now.
    I don't get skips either.

I had my sad days with various iPAQs running the highly unstable (back then) WM. When the Treo 600 came out, I bought one. It was my first PalmOS device. The 650 was a fantastic upgrade because of the improvement in screen res from 160 x 160 to 320 x 320. The 700p was a mixed upgrade for me because while I got EVDO and twice the memory, I got the app switching lags and other instability that I didn't have with the 650. The MR has cured those problems and now the 700p is (IMHO) the hands-down best smartphone that can be had.

The WM versions are not the slightest bit interesting to me since they all downgrade a screen that is inherently 320x320 to 240x240. Unacceptable.
    When my favorite apps are the Sling client (private beta), Kinoma, Pics/Video, Google Maps, Palm VNC, why would I want to run those at 240x240?

While the wait for the MR was unacceptably long and the MR update process was a nightmare, the MR itself is a beaut!

Long live Palm for this phone! Long live Sprint for $15/month EVDO all-you-can-eat!

-MrZaphodB
    Treo 700P, Treo 650, Nokia N800, Nokia N770
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Here are mine

cant even count the ammount of $ Ive invested in software

If I counted my time involved to LEARN this software/hardware AND the software Ive bought it would be in the thousands of $'s of my time (I know I need to get a life)

The ammount of $ Ive invested in accessories is up there too.

There is no way that I could possibly find all the big or even the little pieces of software that Ive found for the POS, that enhance my life in one way or another.

I think that about sums it up?!?!
    This sums it up for me too. Bottom line, the POS does everything I need it to do, warts and all.
    I have a blackberry 7520 and I think the PIM software in it just sucks.
    I agree 1000% I use my bb for work and I would never use the PIM functions.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast