Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    An honest question, why WM is not an option?...something I don't know?

Some people I work with have WM smartphones and generally they are happy with the experience, funcionality and 3rd party app support (some being ex-palmers)...sure there are problems like with any other technology in terms of stability, but in general they seem pleased with the OS, despite the more complicated user interface.
    wm is not a total deal breaker if the phone had everything else. i have to have evdo (or equivelent) because i stream radio stations from all over the country as part of my job.

i also don't want anything that unfolds out for the keyboard. the new BB's, treos, etc are a great form factor for me.

i also rely VERY heavily on date book 5..using the calaner with reminders, repeat remeinders, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt View Post
    wm is not a total deal breaker if the phone had everything else. i have to have evdo (or equivelent) because i stream radio stations from all over the country as part of my job.

i also don't want anything that unfolds out for the keyboard. the new BB's, treos, etc are a great form factor for me.

i also rely VERY heavily on date book 5..using the calaner with reminders, repeat remeinders, etc.
    Now that makes perfect sense.

I like TakePhone a lot, wonder if there is some similar for WM? Anyone knows?
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    For me is sw investment, screen resolution, and specially that there isn't a WM device not made by Palm that has the form factor I like. The comment made by sling about leaving Palm, buying another Treo still promotes Palm. They are in the hardware business. Overall, the 700p is not that much worst than a WX to warrant the expense. If a switch was for free (inlcuding all the apps I use), I would probably switch.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Like many others, I've got a lot of money invested in software, and I'm happy utilizing something I've become so familiar with, even if it's not perfect. I'm certainly not. =)
    Why the Palm Platform....Have you ever compared your palm os to the windows one? Windows is painful. Palm Spoils you ....its just really rediculously easy to use. What can I say ....Palm is da Bomb.
    Huge application compatibility plus PDA versions of some applications are only available in either Palm or WM5/6 and I love to say that with all of the drawbacks of Palm OS it is still faster and reliable than WM5/6. As soon as a Linux PDA becomes widely available with full application compatibility, I don't care from which manufacturer I will be jumping ship faster than Capt. Jack Sparrow.
    Not to hurt feelings but the WX is one of the most stable WM 5 device on the market today.This is not my opinion but fact.Do the research then judge the device.When it comes to the current Garnet user response to learning a new OS hmm lol it,s really not that complicated lol.You will find when learning wm that it is very user friendly with tons of apps and very tweakable as seen in the mortscript forums.Weve got all kinds of good stuff over there.
    I'm not preaching WM but please research the device your going to compare to the P in a negative way.The WX puts the P to shame.
    Great post,
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&postcount=70
    Last edited by slingbox; 06/07/2007 at 08:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Not to hurt feelings but the WX is one of the most stable WM 5 device on the market today.This is not my opinion but fact.Do the research then judge the device.When it comes to the current Garnet user response to learning a new OS hmm lol it,s really not that complicated lol.You will find when learning wm that it is very user friendly with tons of apps and very tweakable as seen in the mortscript forums.Weve got all kinds of good stuff over there.
    I'm not preaching WM but please research the device your going to compare to the P in a negative way.The WX puts the P to shame.
    We have three guys with WX's and they are constantly complaining of slowness and lag. More than one has mentioned that he wished he'd stayed with Palm OS. Primarily because there was access to considerable more software.
    What can I tell you.There is just about a whole forum of P users having it 100 times worse .The numbers are a funny thing..They never lie unless you make them up and the P forum number are not made up.These are fellow palm users with a stretched garnet OS that is very outdated and unstable to say the least .This is not a argument yet fact
    [QUOTE=wrspoon;1279589]
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    My top 10 (in no particular order):
    Handy,

I just started using Outlook and am trying to figure out the best implementation to integrate with my Treo. Does it seamlessly integrate out of the box, or does it require additional software?

thanks,

wrspoon
    When you install the Treo700p software to your PC with Outlook on it, the install wizard will walk you through it by setting up your conduits for you. Note, I am still using Outlook 2000, so I wouldn't know if there are issues with newer versions of Outlook (i.e., 2007).

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    [QUOTE=HandyDJs.com;1280246]
    Quote Originally Posted by wrspoon View Post

When you install the Treo700p software to your PC with Outlook on it, the install wizard will walk you through it by setting up your conduits for you. Note, I am still using Outlook 2000, so I wouldn't know if there are issues with newer versions of Outlook (i.e., 2007).
    If I am not mistaken Palm released on their website a fix to allow for Outlook 2007 HotSync connectivity; there is also a patch for Vista compatibility.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    More than one has mentioned that he wished he'd stayed with Palm OS. Primarily because there was access to considerable more software.
    At this point in time, that statement is a joke. On Pocketgear alone, there is over 15K applications. So if Palm has 30K so what? How many crappy versions of the same app do you need? Plus if you want free or shareware apps, PPCFreewares has more applications that anyone in their right mind could find or need.

Most people that that make the software comment, do so out of lack of knowledge.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Most people that that make the software comment, do so out of lack of knowledge.

not if they have already paid for it! do any of the WM phones work with the palm tom tom....or any ofthe other 100's of dollars of software i have bought?

or the extra batteries, custom car mount/holer, etc etc.

palm is an investment...and at least for me... a good one. my treo has always been stable...it's maybe reset 3 times in the year i have had it.

post mr...no resets and bluetooth is much better. one of the best tools for a home office is the new cell to landline phones. i have the panasonic link to cell and it rocks now thanks o the mr.
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt View Post
    not if they have already paid for it! do any of the WM phones work with the palm tom tom....or any ofthe other 100's of dollars of software i have bought?

or the extra batteries, custom car mount/holer, etc etc.

palm is an investment...and at least for me... a good one. my treo has always been stable...it's maybe reset 3 times in the year i have had it.

post mr...no resets and bluetooth is much better. one of the best tools for a home office is the new cell to landline phones. i have the panasonic link to cell and it rocks now thanks o the mr.
    Of course, if you have an established library, that's one thing. However, the statement was directed to the "availability" of software which applies to being able to get the software that one needs to be productive, etc, etc.

The accessories thing is a non issue, if you stay in the Palm world. More often than not, accessories are the same whether you have a 650 or 700wx, or a 680, 755p or 750. Batteries may be the exception.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    All the reasons for staying mentioned above, are the reasons why I stayed so long. When I started to balance the good with the resets, dropped calls, inability to make calls while waiting for a network connection (over and over again), freeze ups, slow downs, bluetooth connectivity, blue tooth incorrect caller-id on the car kit.....the list is long.....but the delays on the MR, and then seeing the MR created more problems than it solved - well, the Blackberry 8830 from Verizon started to look good.

I've had the phone less than a week. It does everything my Palm did for me, and it's really only a matter of learning the buttons and different OS - which is not a big deal. The slight inconvenience of learning the Blackberry is offset by the fact that IT JUST WORKS - everything does, and there are no built in delays. Plenty of software - even something like the CallFilter program I liked so much. Oh, and it's a really cool looking phone!!

My Treo700pos was sold on www.craigslist.org for $200 cash. Sold it with all my software, the extended battery, two travel chargers, car charger, Seido belt clip - the works. All gone. The BB8830 was $250.00 after rebates and "new every two". So, for $50 I have a stable phone that just works.

So - why am I here? I'm still subscribed to some threads, so I get the emails, and it's interesting to check the threads.

Would I ever go back to a Palm based phone? Never say never - but it would have to be a pretty cool phone.
    =====================================================================================
    Palm Pilot, Palm Vx, Kyo 6035, Kyo 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700pos and FINALLY:
    BLACKBERRY 8830, because it just WORKS!!
    I believe the point being made is there are many valid reasons to stay with Palm OS - familiarity with the OS, accessories, software investment, specific requirement only possible with this platform or just because it works for you.

However, flatly refusing to consider WM just because is a Microsoft product is not a valid one.

If you have attached yourself to a set of software that you can't easily replace, then you have little choice but to stick with Palm.

Also, I wouldn't invest in a platform that doesn't have programming tools readily available so that you can design your own apps.

Palm has been around longer than any other handheld OS and it has a rich variety of apps to choose from.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Also, I wouldn't invest in a platform that doesn't have programming tools readily available so that you can design your own apps.
    Of all WM's faults this is the least valid. Every copy of Visual Studio 2005 can develop for WM straight away.

But maybe you were talking about the Iphone.

Surur
    If you have attached yourself to a set of software that you can't easily replace, then you have little choice but to stick with Palm.

Palm has been around longer than any other handheld OS and it has a rich variety of apps to choose from.
    hmm...research makes perfect sense.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91

When it comes to having the overload of palm apps I would stop buying them.garnet is at all time low as far as customer satisfaction .Palm is lost when it comes to fixing garnet So the OS will be scraped.There just trying to make you hate it more so your transitions to a stable OS will be rewarding
    A quote from a Friend,

(The Palm OS roots come from being a glorified organizer and has been bast--------ardized since to provide things that WM has always provided.)

I must agree

Those are logical reasons for your choice of OS.

I am strongly considering moving to WM6 because Palm is no longer satisfying my needs. In researching 3rd party software availability I have noticed that for what I need there are adequate programs out there.

As far as programming tools for the WM platform I have found very little indeed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast