Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hargoth View Post
    I don't get skips in my music, sorry that you did.

Right now this platform does everything I want it to. With problems, yes, but I am not willing to give up my primary usages.

However, there are several Linux based phones on the near Horizon that I will most assuredly take a hard look at.

Today, the TreoP series are the only devices that CAN do what I want. If I have to fiddle with it more than I should have to, then so be it.

For now.

I second that emotion
    heheh Garnet lol lol lol.
    For me it started with Windows CE v1.xx several years ago, I can't remember the original unit now, but after using it for three months I smashed it on the floor out of sheer frustration.

Then a friend recommended Palm, and so my journey began. I became instantly hooked on Palm's simplicity and stability, slowly discovered the large variety of nice little applications that transformed this from a simple PIM into a portable computer...and so Palm became an integral part of my daily routine, allowing me to perform more and more tasks on the spot.

Over the past few years, however, Palm has become a cumbersome and temperamental platform while WM has become more functional and mature. The WM application offerings have also grown in number and quality. The WM smartphones are outpacing Palm in most departments and have become, at least for me, a viable option as the current hardware incarnation of the Treo is incapable of fulfilling my needs.

Once the Palm-Linux OS becomes available (next year?), I will decide which is better, based on my business needs - we are developing in-house point-of-service applications that will use the Wi-Fi network for fast information sharing.

To me is obvious that the Palm OS as we now know has reached the last stage in development and will be replaced next year (if Palm keeps it's deadline). The question will then be, what will we migrate to: Linux OS, RIM, WM or the iPhone as some have proposed. I may migrate to WM6 with the new crop of smartphones from Sprint if the Linux offering fails to come through.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    heheh Garnet lol lol lol.
    Slingbox.. this isnt exactly a flame thread.. I asked a legit question.. Yes I agree the palmOS is out of date and if not touch with reality. I wanted to hear opinions on other options. No need to continue the +5 Troll or +5 to Flaimbait. Yes the Treo 700p sucks.. I think thats been hardcore established for the last 2 weeks.

So anyways to all. Great responses out there. Its funny today a co-worker of mine who has a 700p also via Sprint told me i should delete my call log which is 1+ meg big (call logs since 3/2004, transferred from my T600p). I deleted that and OH BOY.. Lightwav wasnt happy AT ALL. Kept rebooting my treo every single test call i made w/ my personal phone. To boot I disabled lightwav and it forced me to reset and it was still enabled after reset. Had to do a full restore which... There you go slingbox.. more wood to the fire.
    ncc this is not a burn palm user thread.I feel real bad for you guys.i owned the P and I know what your going through.What the hehe lol lol was about is that there are still users of garent after this stupid Mr get your hopes up trying to convince there selfs that there better off.It just makes no sense my friend.Palm feeds of those users not bettering the overall product.That burns me up.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    ncc this is not a burn palm user thread.I feel real bad for you guys.i owned the P and I know what your going through.What the hehe lol lol was about is that there are still users of garent after this stupid Mr get your hopes up trying to convince there selfs that there better off.It just makes no sense my friend.Palm feeds of those users not bettering the overall product.That burns me up.

I agree and thanks for the sentiment.. It sucks.. plain and simple.. Since my work provides me with a Blackberry 7520 (Dinosaur by the BB standard). I am starting to use it more. I am looking for software to convert my contacts to it. I will attempt to use this since its free. My only beef with this product is that the battery life is HERENDOUS (its a Nextel BB). The thing can't go more than 17 hours without finding itself on the recharger. I admit I am losing massive faith in palm. What would make me super happy is iF they publicly apologize *yeah right* or the other extreme.. They go out of business. Good gawd hate to compare but Ive seen crappy PS2 units, PS3 units, Windows Millenium to be more stable than my phone.. haha
    Too much money invested in software and I am not ready to deviate from the user friendly band aided holed platform I love unless I have too, and then and only then I will have to accept an OS learning curve.
    at&t iPhone3G
    palm has shown very little innovation in a long time. I do not know if this is from carrier limitations or just mediocracy. The only thing thing that make palm viable is its third party developers who have created the applications that make the device usable. Unfortunatly development has slowed on the palm os platform and a lot of the new and innovative programs are being developed for WM. Unless Palm refreshes the OS and catches up with current hardware standards ( bluetooth, Wifi, GPS ) I think WM will be the winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by serchend View Post
    palm has shown very little innovation in a long time.
    i think it's more the other companies that have shown little innovation. there are clearly tons of people who are very agitated with palm....but love the potential of the 700p, etc.

that creates a market for a competitor to come in and fill that hole...but nobody (that i can find) has a phone that can do what the 700p does.

some phones do some of the things..and some do others...

but is there a phone with the same web and e-mail capability, camera and video and tons of apps to personalize the phone?

i rely heavily on date book, for example. i checked and there is no date book for the bb's. if there is someting out there, i' love to have options. those new BB's coming out look awesome...but don't have the function of my (very stable) 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt View Post
    that creates a market for a competitor to come in and fill that hole...but nobody (that i can find) has a phone that can do what the 700p does.

some phones do some of the things..and some do others...

but is there a phone with the same web and e-mail capability, camera and video and tons of apps to personalize the phone?

I guess you are not too familiar with what's out there. There are a ton of devices out there, most of them are WM devices. Heck, even the majority of Nokia devices satisfy your criteria.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    There are a ton of devices out there, most of them are WM devices.
    wm is not an option...but if there are others...please be specific. also a keyboard is must...i text and e-mail from the phone all day...and travel a good bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt View Post
    wm is not an option...but if there are others...please be specific. also a keyboard is must...i text and e-mail from the phone all day...and travel a good bit.
    An honest question, why WM is not an option?...something I don't know?

WM seems like it has evolved into a useful platform over the years; the phones that I see have good specs and many come with keyboards, the WM applications websites I have browsed post a lots of 3rd party apps for this platform, and most phones include Wi-Fi and some have GPS chips. The newly released WM6 now provides support for 320x320 resolution for Palm screens.

Some people I work with have WM smartphones and generally they are happy with the experience, funcionality and 3rd party app support (some being ex-palmers)...sure there are problems like with any other technology in terms of stability, but in general they seem pleased with the OS, despite the more complicated user interface.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    An honest question, why WM is not an option?...something I don't know?

WM seems like it has evolved into a useful platform over the years;
    Exactly. Plus WM phones come in all shapes and sizes with varying levels of features, all of which at the very minimum provide the functionality of a stock Treo POS device.

If it is just the fact that you dislike the WM OS, then as I mentioned, you can take a look at the Nokia line of devices. Outside the US, the Symbian OS is extremely popular and there is no shortage of application for a given device. Is the amount of apps the same as POS and WM? Probably not. But how many crappy versions of Calculator, a list program, etc do you need?

Off the top of my head, the e61 provides a ton of functionality.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncc1701p View Post
    So why do you stay with the palm platform?

"IF" I could use the palmdesktop software on another type of smartphone then I'd be set. I'd be willing to give up some luxuries for the sake of Stability.
    My top 10 (in no particular order):

10. Using CallFilter and ProfileCare, with only two button presses & a click when my availability status changes, I can manage my calls and keep people informed by automatically muting the ringer and auto-replying to important calls via SMS.
    9. I can listen to my music & video files from a large SD card & can stream live internet music, video and even TV.
    8. Excellent, trouble-free integration with MS Outlook.
    7. EvDO on the go--and tethering to my laptop when I'm on the road.
    6. Excellent email capability (I use Snapper as a POP client & store large amounts of email on the SD card)
    5. Although a little small, I can type on my Treo's keyboard better than 1/3 the speed of a full keyboard.
    4. 1000's and 1000's of freeware, shareware, and commercial apps!!!
    3. Voice and call recording capabilities (with apps like CallRec)
    2. Can track my automobile mileage (using Trip)
    1. I have invested as much in the various Palm applications over the years as the price I paid for my Treos.
    Last edited by HandyDJs.com; 06/07/2007 at 10:48 AM.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    [QUOTE=HandyDJs.com;1279480]My top 10 (in no particular order):

8. Excellent, trouble-free integration with MS Outlook.

Handy,

I just started using Outlook and am trying to figure out the best implementation to integrate with my Treo. Does it seamlessly integrate out of the box, or does it require additional software?

thanks,

wrspoon
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    How about this phone paired with blue tooth stereo headset and a Foleo?

http://http://www.engadgetmobile.com...over-1/256396/
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    The Nokia E90 is also very close to being what I need.

http://http://www.mobile-review.com/...a-e90-en.shtml
    [QUOTE=HandyDJs.com;1279480]My top 10 (in no particular order):

10: not sure about this, phoneweaver has profiles for appointments and times of day
    9: yes
    8: yes
    7: supposed to, haven't done it yet with BT
    6: pocket outlook
    5: 6700 keyboard, can't use while driving
    4: found more than I needed
    3: not sure
    2: databases
    1: a lot is cross gradeable, although used handibase, I found spritdb a steeper learing curve but a lot nicer to use

I have been an avid palm user at least 9 different palms, including 3 phones (not including the 8 700p's I returned). I swore I would never switch, I finally did and have love it. I thought I didn't care about multitasking...I was wrong. Palm kinda forced me into it and I am glad they did. With Verizon you can try it for 14 days and still go back, most programs have 14 day trials unless they are free. Don't write off WM, at least when it crashes you usually know why, and you can un-install whatever is causing the problem, it's kinda hard to un-install the os as in palm os.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    If we look at the 700p with MR as relatively the same feature set as the 755p (a big leap, I know) then The 755p meets my requirements better than any other smart phone on the market.

1. Bluetooth Stereo (with SAG)
    2. 8GB SD card for music and books
    3. Book reader (fonts are superb)
    4. Phone functions are phone oriented, NOT desktop oriented.
    5. SMS via thumb keyboard
    6. Internet access via ok browser
    7. On Demand is ok for sports and movie updates on the go
    8. email acces via a wide variety of apps
    9. decent IM client via thumb keypad

What else would I want/use?
    A2DP profile built in to Bluetooth 2.0 stack
    WiFi
    Fast enough CPU to do VOIP via WiFi OR internal radio.
    800x600 (or better) display -- yes my shirt pocket is big enough.
    Real USB port with standard connector and not a serial to USB converter, thus enabling very fast sync

So you see my wishes, while realistic, combined with my needs and current usage do not equal an existing device. The 700p/755p at least meet my current usage/needs.

There are a couple of UMPCs now that if they offered an A2DP profile in combination with the internal phone/radio for voice calls, and all devices supported by Linux, I would probably move to a UMPC. There are a couple of those that are VERY close (and do run Linux already).
    I can do all that I want to do with my Treo 755p and it looks freaking cool. So I don't need to go anywhere else.

Al
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast